IGNORED

Advice on a possible 2001 R100RT purchase

wallred

Hi Gang,

I'm going to look at it tomorrow night, it's the limited version and has about 24K on it.

Is there a list somewhere of what areas to check for regarding problems/issues when I look her over?

Much appreciated!

Outside of obvious damage-make sure it has received proper servicing-either documentation from a dealer or detailed records from the owner. Ask why they want to sell it-I feel better with a believable reason-is there a new bike in the garage-is there a baby on the way-did he get laid off from his job-are they moving out of state?

BeemerWrangler

I'd ask about any mods -- zero=zero, re-cabling, GS-tubes, etc... Some people know what they're doing, some don't... In my case, the previous owner can figure out how to do a zero=zero, but can't tension a clutch-cable correctly. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with this bike, as long as you know what you're getting in to!

Warren,

I guess I would ask the first question - is this your first bike or do you have some miles under you belt already? Have you taken a MSF course recently?

If this is your first MC, I would get some experience/miles on a smaller bike before I took a plunge and got something that has some operator challenges. Slow speed handling is not something to take lightly. An RT can tend to be top heavy when moving slowly, but goes light a lighting bolt when you turn the throttle.

I have a 2000 1100RT and absolutely LOVE this MC. It does everything I want it to do RIGHT. I have almost 15k miles on mine in the 24 months I have owned it. Do my own maint, spent time with this group learning and tweaking at a TECH Daze. At 24k miles the bike you are looking at is just stating to get broke in.

Do yourself a huge favor anbd check out the FAQ section of this site. At the lower right column are some links to other sites that will offer you a wealth of information about purchasing a BMW or any bike for that matter. THis one in particular is quite useful: http://www.verrill.com/moto/kbikebuyingguide.shtml

If you need anything else, drop a line.

Good Luck - Ride Safe thumbsup.gif

Warren,

Black is the fastest color but then you don't really have a choice. You'll really enjoy it and the advice on taking a MSF course is right on. I took the basic and advanced courses and you learn some new skills each time.

Have fun and good luck. What are they asking for the RT??

Bruce smile.gif

I had the same Bike...The 5 speed tranny is a clunker, with surging...I traded it for a 2004RT Limited edition Black...Much smoother and faster, no surge...I suggest you look into other options...good Luck

The '01 RT is a solid bike. As mentioned above, question the service history. Check for tell tale signs of accident damage--ie, scratches on lower half of valve covers, scratches on ball at end hand levers, cracked paint at frame welds. If you know someone at a dealer, ask them to run the VIN number to ensure recalls have been completed.

My 2001 Special edition RT is now up to 69000 miles and still running strong as when she was newborn. These are great bikes for long rides to distant places and around town. They handle twisties like nothing I've owned before and run with such little vibration that after 500 miles you may be tired, but not buzzed. The stowage in the three cases is great and you can easily take off for several weeks without a lot of stuff hanging all over the bike unless you are planning on camping. (I traded in the camp gear for motel rooms - just turned 60 last month and find a bed sooooooooo much better than a pad on the ground.) By all means check the bike out, look at service records, and visually inspect all of her that you can, but if all seems to be in reasonably good order and a test ride goes well, bite the bullet and take her. You won't be disappointed.

Archived