IGNORED

Nolan N102 BlueTooth Helmet??????

snod

I just saw an add in the latest Competition Accessories Catalog (holiday junk mail) for a Bluetooth Kit that works for phones, aux devices, and as an intercom. Of course it is designed to fit ONLY in a new line of Nolan Helmets. Any body played with one yet? Does it REALLY work? Is it time to dump my AutoCom? The idea of no wires to mess with is very appealing!

The reports I've read are mixed. It seems designed to do rider / pillion and phone via bluetooth, everything else via wire. Additionally there seems to be no clear information about stereo audio (satelite radio or mp3) over bluetooth.

My starcom unit has an available bluetooth adaptor so I'll be able to connect to the GPS and phone through the new Zumo and the starcom without wires, but still have to connect for XM and radar by wire to the starcom and still have the helmet wire connection.

It would be nice to go totally wireless with devices linked via a central comm unit wirelessly to the helmet. I suppose give it 5 more years and we'll be there.

It would be nice to go totally wireless with devices linked via a central comm unit wirelessly to the helmet. I suppose give it 5 more years and we'll be there.

I have been exchanging email with a Nolan rep and my impression is that you can do just that with the new unit. It also has a speaker/mic harness custom built for the Nolan helmets. But no word on where to buy one yet.

It would be nice to go totally wireless with devices linked via a central comm unit wirelessly to the helmet.

I have been exchanging email with a Nolan rep and my impression is that you can do just that with the new unit.

Hmmmm, that seems to be at odds with the info on the Nolan NCOM site if you go through all of it including the FAC and specifically the downloadable user manual (scroll down to get english).

What I'd envisioned is the GPS voice, radar voice, satellite radio, mp3, phone, bike to bike radio all wirelessly connected to a central comm unit that would handle rider/pillion intercom, muting and vox.

Then, bluetooth helmets that are either speaker or ear plug compatable (Nolan is only speaker) that connects wirelessly to the comm unit. However, this requires all the accessory devices to be bluetooth enabled as well, and some aren't yet...most noteably the radar detector.

I have NO experience with the specific products designed for Helmets, but...I've used several BT products otherwise (including phone, PDA, multiple headsets, Laptop...).

One thing in particular that I would be looking at would be the PRACTICAL battery limits (not the advertised ones). Every device I've used lasts 1/2 as long as they claim. If I take this into account, a day long (8 hour) ride on the bike means I'd have to find a headset that lasts 16 hours. And remember, that most manufacturers advertise 'talk time' and 'standby time'. In the case where you want to use this for MP3 music, that would equate to their 'talk time' spec. I've not seen any BT device that advertises 16 hours of 'talk time'.

Also, most headsets today are MONO and not stereo (although they are becoming more prevalent).

Regards,

Mike O

Archived