IGNORED

Oil Filter Wrench alternatives

tallman

OK,

I didn't save it last time. dopeslap.gif

I've searched to no avail. dopeslap.gif

Read the entire R parts archive (sure hope I didn't miss it tongue.gif) thread.

Need the parts numbers and sources for the alternative oil filter wrench(s).

1. pre hex head (R/K)

2. anyone found one for the hexheads?

TIA thumbsup.gif

Tim

You can get the pre-hexhead filter wrench at any BMW dealer for about $15. The hexhead filter wrench can be purchased from Motobins in the UK for $20US(www.motobins.co.uk). Jesse Luggage also sells one for $35. The email address is www.jesseluggage.com Here is another option for you Ilium Works(www.iliumworks.com) Cost is $32.95 for the hexhead oil filter wrench. I am pretty sure Bobs BMW sells it for $19.95.

Joe Frickin' Friday
OK,

I didn't save it last time. dopeslap.gif

I've searched to no avail. dopeslap.gif

Read the entire R parts archive (sure hope I didn't miss it tongue.gif) thread.

Need the parts numbers and sources for the alternative oil filter wrench(s).

1. pre hex head (R/K)

2. anyone found one for the hexheads?

TIA thumbsup.gif

Pre hex-head: go to an auto parts store, find a Mobil1 M1-102 filter, which is what fits oilhead engines. Now find the filter wrench that fits that filter. Buy it. thumbsup.gif Works on BMW filters.

Hexhead? Sorry, can't help.

For the oilhead OEM filter:

Leslie recommended the Fram Type B wrench sold at AutoZone. Killer also recommended it.

I bought it, and I was pleased. Unlike Fram filters, this Fram-labeled product is good. Don't recall the exact price, but I think it was in the $3 - $4 range. It's metal, and it fits on a 3/8 socket wrench.

There's also a post by No_Twilight recommending a plastic Napa wrench for $4.50.

If you can't find those products, you can narrow the possibilities while in a store by looking for the number 14 somewhere on the wrench package. The OEM filter has 14 flutes.

Got mine from Motobins in the UK. Very fast delivery - ordered online Tuesday evening; it was in my mailbox Monday morning.

If you don't have enough advice so far, here's a suggestion. Take your oil filter to a place like Advanced Auto Parts and see which one of the many they carry will fit the filter! Works like magic to identify which one to buy.

Thanks,

I've had my wrench (BMW) for years..

Was looking for a co-worker who just bought an 87 K bike.

He was looking for an inexpensive wrench alternative and now he's got one.

Archived