IGNORED

When speed is a blessing...

Jon_M

Yesterday I rode down I-5 in California's Central Valley. I was in the smoother fast lane and had the cruise control on my R12RT set on 80. Traffic was light, and 80 was close to the prevailing speed at the time. Just as I was passing a semi that was traveling in the right lane, a clump/horde/group/herd/clutch/gaggle of five tightly-grouped Harleys, riding maybe ten feet apart and probably going 85 or a little more, roared up to a few inches behind me in a great cloud of baritone flatulence. With the truck blocking my exit to the right, they started to pass me, three on my left and two on my right, all of this taking place within my lane! If I had stayed where I was, they would have been two feet away from me on each side, and if any one of us had wobbled, we would all have looked liked scrambled eggs with ketchup. I twisted the throttle and shot away from them, putting a good mile between us before I settled back to my former rhythm. A few minutes later, they caught up again, and this time, the right lane was clear. I signalled politely, moved politely out of their way, and they burbled politely by, giving me a thumbs-up as they passed.

I am not sure what the point is here, except that the R12 is pretty quick, and shooting from 80 to 120 on a public highway is not always irresponsible.

Lone_RT_rider
It is nice having a bike capable of squirting away without hesitation, and the 12RT can do it!

I have an R1100RT and recently spent just short of an hour riding a R1200RT. Man what a difference in power. I was amazed at how well it was suited for the highway. Now this is not to say that is has GOBS of power, but it most certainly did master the tasks at hand in a proficient manner. A GSXR1K this isn't, but it sure has some umph compared to my R1100RT. Nice bike, wish I had the cash to upgrade. smile.gif

Shawn

Glad you were able to extricate yourself from that one.

I'm reminded of an incident a few weeks ago coming up highway 1. I was maintaining a brisk pace, nothing wild but passing judiciously along the way, and I came up on about eight harleys cruising along, taking it easy. By appearance they were not the RUB type, more of a seedier Bad Ass type. No problem, I followed them through a few curves at a leisurely pace before a straight opened up and I signaled and pulled out to pass. One of the rear guys thought it would be fun to pull out just in front of me and cut me off.

So I rolled off quick and the guy races up to their leader with me behind him. Traffic required that I pulled in behind these two for the next curve, and then I had the pleasure of watching them impress me by hauling ass down the following straight together with pipes erupting, only to brake like madmen to navigate the next curve at a careful, geriatric speed.

This cycle repeated twice more before I could safely pass, 90-something followed immediately by 30-something, the only hindrance to my amusement being the fear that one of the monkeys would dump it in front of me or nail me from behind. When the next opportunity opened up I was grateful for the ease (and quiet) with which my little boxer leapt into action to put me out on my own again, despite these clowns trying to show me what they could do.

Love my beemer!

(Disclaimer: I've got nothing against the bikes. Unfortunately unskilled S.P.S. sufferers come in all forms, in all sports.)

....five tightly-grouped Harleys...roared up to a few inches behind me.....With the truck blocking my exit to the right, they started to pass me, three on my left and two on my right, all of this taking place within my lane!....from 80 to 120 on a public highway is not always irresponsible.

First point, what is it with Harley riders need to ride in close formation? One screw up, or mechanical failure, and they'll all be down. I like my space.

Second, the way they initially tried to pass you was not only unsafe, but rude and disrespectful. Sure, I like to ride fast too, but give a guy a chance to safely get out of the way.

And tirdly, you did the right thing! thumbsup.gif I'll bet even the LEO's would agree that stomping the throttle to get away from a potentially bad situation (like a semi) is a good idea.

Regards, Lou.

One screw up, or mechanical failure, and they'll all be down.
Exactly right. Several years I saw exactly that happen with a group of a dozen riders who went down in a heap. That debacle blocked the highway for an hour while the injured were 'coptered out.

Archived