IGNORED

Final Drive Oil Chnage By My Independent Tech

marcopolo

I had my 20,000 service done today, and also had the oil in my final drive changed. I have my bike serviced by an independent BMW master tech. He charged me 1/2 hour labour, plus the cost of the synthetic FD oil (Castrol UK). The oil was incredibly expensive ($50 per litre). It takes 230 ml, so I was charged for 300 ml ($15). It was the first 1200 series FD oil he had changed, so he was interested in inspecting it once it was drained. It was very dark, in contrast with the new fill, but there was no evidence of any metal flakes etc. (ran a magnet through it). I can see how this procedure would be a bit of a drag for the backyard mechanic (which I'm not) -- take off the muffler; remove rear wheel; remove speed sensor; drop final drive to drain; lube splines while you're in there; swing up and re-attach final drive; fill with oil (he got most of the required 230 ml in by squirting it in the back end drain plug, and the remainder (rather slowly) through the speed sensor hole. This was money ($49 parts/labour) well spent in my view. Think I'll do it again at 40,000 kms. As many have already posted, the 1200RT maintenance schedule has been amended to now call for a FD oil flush at the running-in check.

As many have already posted, the 1200RT maintenance schedule has been amended to now call for a FD oil flush at the running-in check.

So has BMW made it any easier to do the FD drain? I had read that new rear assemblies now had some type of drain plug that would allow you to drain without having to jump through all the hoops but I was looking at an '07 RT and R1200S on the showroom and couldn't find anything.

Good question, for which I don't have an answer. I haven't seen any '07s yet, but I would not count on any design changes, as they now call for only one FD flush for the life of the bike, as I understand it (as opposed to the earler "lifetime" fill).

The oil was incredibly expensive ($50 per litre). It takes 230 ml, so I was charged for 300 ml ($15).

Was the containter BMW branded? 1 quart(947ml) of Mobil full-synthetic 75w140 gear oil only cost me $15.00(that's enough for 4 FD changes)

There is not a plan for a drain plug at the bottom of the drive for '07, it will remain on the side as it is on the '06 and earlier bikes. A magnet was added to the drain plug for '07 to catch any suspended metal floating around inside of the drive.

BMW does not recommend any other final drive fluid change after the 600 service. I for one will change it anyway at each 12,000 mile interval.

I have my bike serviced by an independent BMW master tech. He charged me 1/2 hour labour ... I was charged for 300 ml ($15). ... This was money ($49 parts/labour) well spent in my view.

That works out to $76 per hour for his labor.

For comparison, a former BMW dealer in a small town near here charges $50 USD per hour for shop labor, as compared to $75 USD for the current dealer.

If those are Canadian dollars you are quoting, it sounds like you got a good price. And he worked fast, considering all the obstacles in the way to change the fluid.

I have my bike serviced by an independent BMW master tech. He charged me 1/2 hour labour ... I was charged for 300 ml ($15). ... This was money ($49 parts/labour) well spent in my view.

That works out to $76 per hour for his labor.

For comparison, a former BMW dealer in a small town near here charges $50 USD per hour for shop labor, as compared to $75 USD for the current dealer.

If those are Canadian dollars you are quoting, it sounds like you got a good price. And he worked fast, considering all the obstacles in the way to change the fluid.

His rate is $72CDN/hr. The big attraction is that he is very good, meticulous, and you get to watch everything he does up close. I find it informative and, dare I say, entertaining. He's got quite a following, and has taken a lot of business away from the local dealer (where he used to work).

The oil was incredibly expensive ($50 per litre). It takes 230 ml, so I was charged for 300 ml ($15).

Was the containter BMW branded? 1 quart(947ml) of Mobil full-synthetic 75w140 gear oil only cost me $15.00(that's enough for 4 FD changes)

BMW and Castrol UK. It was ordered from BMW. At least he only charged me for 300 ml, and not the entire litre.

Nope, no design changes related to the drain plug location on the FD for 2007. Just the addition of the magnet in the drain plug which should help keep the metallic particles out of the bearings.

Archived