IGNORED

EBC brake pads

mrduck

I've used these on other bikes with good results so how they gonna work on my RT? The parts place I called said I should only use stock BMW pads with ABS system.Please enlighten me on this!(they're kind of important) confused.gif

russell_bynum

We've got EBC pads on Lisa's R1100RS, and I had them on my RT. I enjoyed the improved feel and increased initial "bite" of the EBC pads vs. stock.

ABS worked just fine.

I used EBC pads on my 93 K11RS and they worked great. They are a little easier on the wallet as well. About half the cost of BMW pads ($50 vs. $100 for the front set of 4 pads).

I used EBC pads on my K75 and was very pleased with performance and longevity.

I've seen some good mention of Carbone Lorraine pads. Anybody know much about them?

russell_bynum

I've seen some good mention of Carbone Lorraine pads. Anybody know much about them?

I haven't tried them yet, but lots of the racers on the sportbike boards I hang out on really like the Carbone Lorraine SBK3 pads and prefer them over Galfer, EBC, Ferodo, etc.

I use EBC's on my old K100, and they are just fine. There is no reason why you need to stick with the BMW ones.

But you are better off to stick with the standard "organic" EBCs, not their HH pads. The HH pads are harder on your disk, and tend to squeal. Both types have good life.

russell_bynum
I've recently switched to EBC HH pads on my S and think they are great. No noise and fine with ABS. Much better grip than OEM.

That's what we use as well. We occasionally get squealing under very light brake pressure, but otherwise, they're fine.

EBC HH on FJ 1100, Ducati Superlight, Yamaha R1, Honda Blackbird, and now R1100RT. Definite improvement on feel and modulation on last 3 bikes. Never had any squealing or rattling.

Re the R1100RT, two things. The stock front BMW pads have a spring on the pad to prevent rattling. They also break and can jam your pad so that it functions less effectively if at all and accelerate uneven wear. Happened on mine. Be careful on rear EBC organic pads (recommended with HH fronts). Some don't fit and require grinding. Others on this board have had this problem. I just went back to BMW rear pads.

While we're on the EBC topic...

I installed EBC organic pads on my RT and they rattle at low speed. Any cure?

Are you sure you remembered to replace the antirattle spring? This is not a pad issue. The pad material cannot make the whole thing rattle!

Joe Frickin' Friday
I've recently switched to EBC HH pads on my S and think they are great. No noise and fine with ABS. Much better grip than OEM.

That's what we use as well. We occasionally get squealing under very light brake pressure, but otherwise, they're fine.

Never had a squeal problem. re: rattle, tacky spray works pretty good (look for a spray can of something like "Disc Brake Quiet" at the auto parts store); just make sure you clean the pistons and pad backs very well before application.

re: rotor wear, maybe they're harder, I dunno. My front rotors were at the wear limit at 100K miles, so I replaced them. Don't know how this compares with the action of OEM pads. My theory: The people buying EBC's HH pads are the folks who enjoy aggressive braking, and so on average they're going to wear their rotors down quicker than people who don't bother buying EBC-HH.

Joe Frickin' Friday
If they get me out of a jam just one time, I don't care how much faster they wear the rotors than stock pads.

Whether you're using stock or HH pads, you've got more than enough control authority to lock up both wheels. The primary benefit of HH pads, IMO, is the reduced lever effort required to achieve a desired level of deceleration. If you've ever ridden Deal's Gap, you'll appreciate the benefits of this point. wave.gif

Archived