IGNORED

New 07' GS fuel gauge.....sorta funky

sundance

My 07' GS shows the top half of the fuel gauge as sort of one solid bar. It stays solid until I have 1/2 tank left then the whole top half of the bar disappears. From 1/2 tank on, the gauge diminishes one bar at a time.

I dunno...is it suppose to be like that??? Seems like an odd thing to do.

I assume your 07 has the segmented display.

My 06 has the segmented display and only 7 bars (out of what looks like should be 8) ever showed up and it was very inaccurate to boot.

They gave me the v7 software and now my gauge looks as you describe, on an 06, and lights up parts of the display (the top bar and thin little lines between the top 4 bars) that have never been lit.

Random question...how does your 07 behave under decelleration when the throttle is not closed? Mine pops a good bit and a bike I demo'd at Mortons to ease my mind did it too (both 06s). Does your bike do this? Does the new engine software change this at all?

Yeah...mine pops a little bit but I have a Remus Exhaust. It doesnt really bother me. Actually I think it sounds kinda cool. It only does it when I accelerate hard then get off of it and the RPMs are high. But under normal conditons, just cruising, RPM's around 4k, It doesnt seem to do it so much.

FWIW... I sold a Harley RoadKing. It popped...with a stock exhaust. I ended up putting an aftermarket exhaust on it, it popped even more. I put a power commander on, it helped, but still popped. My neighbor bought a new 06' Heritage...yeah...you guessed it ...it pops.... Go figure. But it sounded bad, as in something wasn't right, when the Harley's did it. Doesn't sound so bad when the GS does it- Sounds more like a "Bad Ass" Bike sound, at least to me. grin.gif

Oh yeah...My fuel gauge has that same display, with the little narrow lines in between the "normal" lines. kinda makes it look like a solid bar. At first I thought something was wrong with the display; then I thought something was wrong with the fuel sensor, since it didnt drop. Now I see it's "suppose" to be like that? Oh well..I can't understand the engineer that said, "Hey lets make the fuel gauge useless for the first half of the tank" dopeslap.gif

Hey..thanks for that bulletin Paul. I feel better that everything is working the way it was intended. grin.gif

is it suppose to be like that???
Yup.

Personally I've never ran out of fuel in the first half of the tank full, so it works just fine. YMMV.

My 06GS shows 6 bars full (there may be a 7th bar but I'm not patient enough to get it that full with the pumps around here). It goes to 3 bars (no 4 or 5) then 2, 1. A little before the last one disappears warning light comes on and the countdown starts. I have no "little" bars at the bottom.

Yup.

Personally I've never ran out of fuel in the first half of the tank full, so it works just fine. YMMV.

Same here. As a matter of fact, the miles to empty part is the only thing I pay attention to. The rest doesn't matter anyhow since I use a trip meter to get more accurate miles since filling up.

Hell, most cars aren't really that accurate either if you really pay attention to it.

Jim cool.gif

Yup.

Same here. As a matter of fact, the miles to empty part is the only thing I pay attention to. The rest doesn't matter anyhow since I use a trip meter to get more accurate miles since filling up.

Hell, most cars aren't really that accurate either if you really pay attention to it.

Jim cool.gif

Ditto on my '06 GS.

I know how many miles I get per tank of fuel and that is what I pay attention too.

If I'm in an area with less fuel stop options, like out west, I am more conservative with the miles per tank.

Archived