IGNORED

When night falls.........

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

..... the world of the motorcycle rider seems to be getting much smaller, and more hostile.

When in a car you just turn up the music a notch, adjust the heating, relax and continue your journey. But when on a bike......

...... it suddenly seems to get colder, the wind blowing harder than a few hours ago.

.... you now curse the dirty spot on the visor, and yourself for not having taken the time to clean it at your last stop at the gas station....

.... ALL oncoming cars seem to have badly adjusted lights.. why did you never notice that while driving?

.... the mirrors of your RT are most certainly vibrating... must be the Boxer.... and the lights of the cars coming up behind are blurrs.

.... Your bifocals are not helping recognizing speed and distance of blurred lights in those mirrors either... never a problem during the day....

.... You just hope that the lightbulb will hold for this one ride at least.....

.... OF COURSE there is something on the road now, just when you decide to pass that string of cars ahead of you.... never there in daytime

..... turns out to be a dead animal and your heart is in your throat for the next two miles, after having barely missed it !

.... you can't find a parking space to stop and get your rain jacket out of the top case when it starts raining.

.... you should've gone to the men's room after all on that last stop.....

.... owwwwww... you missed that last road sign... are you SURE you're still on the right road home ???

Riding at night always reminds me of that old country song.... not sure of the exact title... a lonely guy singing that 'it's only a few more miles to Mary-Ann'... crazy.gif

Sounds familiar ?

It sounds like your glass is half empty. There are many "half full" things about night riding that I absolutely enjoy. Some of my most memorable rides have been at night.

Have you tried balancing the negative with the positive, or are you dead set against riding at night? Some people are, which is fine, but it's a waste of time to try to convince them otherwise. They're mind is made up.

The forest rats have licked my night riding glass halfway down. Have seen too many live and otherwise to enjoy night riding anymore so I'm sticking to the daylight. See ya. Bill

russell_bynum

Some of my favorite rides have been at night.

Certainly there are challenges and concerns that are greater at night than in daylight. But there's also stuff that you don't get in daylight.

I recall one night ride across the desert where I just about ran out of gas...not because there weren't any gas stations, or because I forgot...but because I simply couldn't make myself pull over.

For one of the first times ever I disagree with my friend from across the pond. I get a second wind when the sun goes down. I feel more at ease. I can see cars better because of their lights and I think they can see be better too. I enjoy the drop in temperature and it feels like the ride starts over again. The air feels fresher and the traffic usually dies down a little. I look forward to the sun goin down.

It could also be a life time of working late into the night. Retail and restaurants are not morning jobs.

Anyway bring on the night.... me and Vampires can't wait.....Halloween is hours away.

Whip

AdventurePoser

Francois,

Great thread you started. In my mind, there are some real negatives to riding at night. It is certainly more dangerous, if only for the reduced visibility.

Yet, there are joys to riding at night, especially summer evenings in the desert. No traffic, the moon on high, the warm breeze blowing...magical!

Steve in So Cal

Wending through a sea of ink from gray to black , I'm chasing my lonely moonlit shadow across the Palouse. With evening dew the perfume of wet earth and quiet, calm breeze brings sanity to the end of my day. Upon a noll casting my view towards the far off city distance has made its lights festive and inviting.

Francois_Dumas
The song is by Hank Williams Jr. It's title is "The Blizzard".

That's it ! I really should have my old country records put on CD one of these days ! Thanks thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas
It sounds like your glass is half empty. There are many "half full" things about night riding that I absolutely enjoy. Some of my most memorable rides have been at night.

Have you tried balancing the negative with the positive, or are you dead set against riding at night? Some people are, which is fine, but it's a waste of time to try to convince them otherwise. They're mind is made up.

Of course.

And perhaps I should've 'introduced' my little tale a bit better. This was a ride at 5 p.m..... traffic hour in Holland.

I agree with some of the posters that riding/driving/travelling at night can be, and often is, a very special experience, and not necessarily always negative.

We usually drive at night when doing (what we think are)long distances, because then in deed traffic is low, roads are free (in most countries).

I think it is very different 'going somewhere' in 'normal night traffic' from riding in commuter streams, as I did last night.

Last night it was one uninterrupted stream of cars in both directions, both on the highways AND on the B-roads I had to do the last 30 km's of the trip home.

I had to lane-split many miles, several times, and then stick in the line of cars for many more... only passing one or two at times.

That, my friends, is NOT what I call 'fun riding'.

On the other hand, it was dark the other day when I returned from my trip to Germany, and although Sunday traffic is pretty heavy too usually, I took some lesser frequented roads, and that was a good ride.

No matter the above though, riding/driving through the night, and especially on real voyages, always puts me in somewhat of a melancholic mood. As does driving in fog.

The world is just so much smaller, one is also more aware of things becasue of the reduced visibility I think. Sounds, smells, feels different and more specific.

That is not meant as something negative... it can be rather pleasant, indulging in ones loneliness tongue.gifwink.gif

What I am NOT happy about though is my reduced vision. Night has always been worse for those wearing glasses I'm afraid.... if you never have, count your blessings !

wave.gifwave.gif

Good luck with your new endeavor.

It sounds like a pretty exciting project and I'm sure with your knowledge, experience and enthusiasm, you will succeed.

I'm having trouble registering to your user group and am notified that my e-mail address is already registered to someone else. I'm not sure how this is possible. I'd love to get some help from you to get me set up.

Bonne Chance,

Patrick thumbsup.gif

I live in South Western Pa where there are far more deer lurking around each turn than I would like to contemplate. However, one of my favorite riding memories comes from a night ride: mid summer evening, full moon above with just enough clouds to give the sky "character", temp in the mid 70's (I can still smell and taste the summer air of that ride), the road flowing beneath me as I eased my way home.

Though it was the end of a good day of riding, I had to "take the long way home". I knew it was a moment I would look back on and I truly hated for it to end.

Francois_Dumas

I have activated your account there now. I have 'automatic registration' turned off because of all the forum spammers these days. Welcome smile.gif

Archived