IGNORED

02 R1150RT Transmission capacity

blaisew

The first thing I did with my new (to me) 02 RT was to change all the fluids. The transmission capacity listed in the owners manual is .8 liters, but it actually took 1.1 liters to become visible, and that wasn't quite up to the bottom of the fill level. I decided to quit there because I didn't want to over-fill the tranny. Is the book wrong on the measured capacity? Fill to the bottom of the opening and forget it until next time? And no, there wasn't any oil on the garage floor! It's a small thing, but curious. Anyone have the same experience?

I have an 02 1150RT and I had the same experience. The maintenance CD indicated ~.8 quart in the tranny. I added nearly a full quart, which was enough to see the fluid, but not enough to come flush to the threads in the fill hole. I was cautious not to overfill. (The final drive took more fluid than the manual indicated, too.)

peterh

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things. My guess is that the six speed gearset, for what ever reason, occupies less room in the tranny housing than the five speed (!)and BMW didn't bother to check. Very Un-German of them! By the way, the final drive on both oilheads take more oil than listed as mentioned.

My 02 RT takes .8 quarts?? I know if I buy a quart of trans fluid I can change the trans fluid (yes, it starts running out the fill hole) and have enough left over to just about service the final drive too. It takes just a tiny bit out of a new quart to finish off the FD.

Bike is on the center stand for this job.

My bike is an 02, built 11/01 with a six speed that reads "6" when in high gear!!!! tongue.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Artie, that's really strange. I'm not sure when my bike was manufactured, but it reads "E" in sixth gear. The machine was, of course, level when drained and filled. I poured in an entire quart of fluid and still couldn't see the fluid. At about 1.1 I could see it, and will go back tonight and add to the bottom of the fill opening. I'm guessing another .1 or so. That's a difference of nearly HALF A QUART!!! Maybe BMW's plastic container was marked wrong, but I don't think so. I also double checked what I was reading and no mistakes there. Very odd.

Archived