IGNORED

Gerbings & CanBus Question

kenzst

Well, it is getting a little chilly here in Northern KY and I think it might be time to break out the Gerbings for the morning rides. I have the vest & gloves with the standard controller.

I have been use to plugging the controller in to my accessory socket. Here is my question. Do I need to wire directly to my battery or will the CanBus handle it. I would rather not add an additional connector coming out around the seat unless I have to. Thanks!

The RT SHOULD be able to handle it. An ST definitely cannot. I don't know about the GS. (You didn't mention which bike you're talking about but I assume you meant the RT mentioned in your profile).

The RT has been known to handle about a 10 Amp draw on the accessory port but can vary depending on which software version you have.

However, it'd just be safer (as in no risk of the port pulling too much power and shutting off) to go straight to the battery.

My wife uses a Kanetsu (Aerostich) electric vest plugged into the rear accessory socket. No problems with that but I don't know what the amperage draw is.

It'll work (if you accessory socket doesn't have the software issues that some bikes have had) but it's a poor idea. Go directly from the battery is the best and most reliable approach IMHO.

It'll work (if you accessory socket doesn't have the software issues that some bikes have had) but it's a poor idea. Go directly from the battery is the best and most reliable approach IMHO.

You can find kits to convert your CanBus-controlled socket to a direct wire socket at www.powerletproducts.com .

I have an '05 RT and the stock accessory plug works fine if you only have the Gerbings jacket liner. I got some heated gloves too, and had to tap straight into the battery to accomodate all 3 loads. Otherwise, the accessory power just shuts off.

Jay

Archived