IGNORED

Just got a R1100RT last night, I have lots of questions.....

cali_beemer

Well, I just picked up a 97' BMW R1100RTL last night. It was an awesome bike. Red metallic, Garaged, stereo, good tires (street piliots), cylinder head protectors, heated grips, new battery, top case, a heated russell seat, new brake pads with 30 miles on them, 13,000 miles and just had the 12,000 mile service. He also provided service records for all of the previous service records performed by the local dealer, Excellent condition!!!!!!! I thought it was a good deal at $5400, so I shelled out cash and threw it in the back of my truck. It runds good, can anyone answer a few questions for me? The bike runds good when warm but I must use the choke the entire time until warm. Is this normal? I had a 99 but that was back in 99 and hard to remember since i didnt have it long before going to a k bike. Can anyone also tell me what size of speakers are in the dash since I plan on putting some high quality ones in? Does anyone know how to go through the preset radio stations using the h-bar controls? it has seek but not for the presets. Can you replace the stereo for a new modern car stereo with CD player and plug your i-pod into it? So far I took it out all day today it ran great and handles beutifully. Overall, I am very happy as I believe I got an excellent deal.

Welcome to the board. Can't help you much on your questions as I ride an 04 RT and I don't know how many similarities there are. Concerning the choke though, I leave the lever up until 2 bars and then push it down.

When you have the opportunity, give us some more info in your bio. Enjoy your new toy! thumbsup.gif

as far as running bad when cold, i have noticed that ALL of the 1100RT's we have (6) running terrible when cold without the choke on, most of them dont like to idle until they are warm. Not a problem with the 1150's but command on all of the 1100's. The speakers are 3.5" i believe, ive only taken the dash apart once or twice so i dont really know. And for the stereo i dont have an answer as all the bikes ive ever ridden are RTP's so no stereo. Other on the board will probably chime in on that one. Have fun with the new bike!

russell_bynum

Welcome aboard!!!

It sounds like you got a great deal on what's basically a brand-new bike!

The bike runds good when warm but I must use the choke the entire time until warm. Is this normal? I had a 99 but that was back in 99 and hard to remember since i didnt have it long before going to a k bike.

When my 2000 RT was in a good state of tune, it would idle just fine without using the fast idle lever. When it needed a tuneup (valve adjustment and TB sync), it would require some fast idle until it warmed up. Of course, with only 13000 miles, this thing isn't even broken in yet.

If it were me, I'd adjust the valves, sync the throttle bodies, then go wring its neck for another 18,000 miles or so to get it good and broken in. Then see how it does.

Can anyone also tell me what size of speakers are in the dash since I plan on putting some high quality ones in?

Don't bother. I went through that whole rain dance with my RT and the best I could do, it was still only good enough to use the bike as a boom box while working in the garage. At speed, you just don't get enough sound to hear the music over the wind noise, and through a full-face helmet and earplugs.

If you want music while riding, I highly recommend custom-molded earplug speakers plugged into...something. The factory radio, an iPod, XM radio, or whatever. Remove the factory speakers and use them for target practice. Remove the stock radio and braket and sell them on eBay, and use the newly-freed space in the glove box for something worthwhile...like single malt storage. smile.gif

Can you replace the stereo for a new modern car stereo with CD player and plug your i-pod into it?

Yes. It's a standard DIN-sized radio. A few notes:

1. See my comments above.

2. Most car CD players aren't designed to operate in a vertical position.

3. Most car CD players can't handle the vibration of a bike.

4. 2+3 = lots of skipping.

Congratulations. You certainly found a low mileage RT. Of course you realize that it's not quite broken in yet.

My '99 RT needs a little fast idle(I have a locking throttle "cruise control") for about the time it takes me to put in ear plugs, don the helmet and gloves and back out the garage. I never did get much boost out of the "choke" lever so never use it. It gets much smoother as it fully warms up; it's always been the nature of the beast. By the way, I have over 8,000 on the last valve adjust, tb synch, and spark plug change. Contrary to some other opinions, I don't find my RT a "high maintenance" gal.

Ride and enjoy

Bruce smile.gif

Hello and welcome! You've found a gem, and a real deal at the same time. I've had a 96 1100RT and my current one, both great bikes. That said, I've never left my choke on longer than the time to do the helmet/glove cinching. Never rode off with it on, never needed to. With such low miles on this bike, likely it just needs ridden. Not like you stole it but, don't baby it either. The handlebar control for the radio will not seek your presets. That feature will search to the next higher/lower clear station. Distant seek tuning is accomplished by pushing the button twice, only distant clear stations will be received this way. You can store up to 18,12-FM and 6-AM, stations by setting 6 on each band. Crutchfield used to sell a nice speaker that fit the 1100RT's. It was a 4" Infinity approved for marine use.

With only 13k miles and the included accessories I'd say you got a pretty good deal.

Since no one mentioned it explicitly... the choke control isn't really a choke at all, just an idle speed control. The cold mixture enrichment function (choke) is handled entirely by the ECU and is controlled automatically based on engine/air temp, etc. Just mentioning it to help you understand what is going on. BTW my bike is like Russell's in that I don't really need to use the fast idle lever at all when cold. I would think that a tune up and some tweaks should cure your issue entirely.

Most everyone will tell you to skip the dash speakers and go straight to headphones/earphones, and they are right. Save your money for a good set of isolating earphones and an MP3 player.

Smiller is right about the speakers. The speakers in my 04 can't be heard above 45-50 mph. I installed an Autocom (or any intercom of your choice)which allows me to have rider to pillion communication, bike to bike comm, cell phone to helmet, and allows me to pipe in XM radio or iPod straight into my helmet speakers, in stereo, with exceptional sound quality.

As for the fast idle, I can't say, as I'm running an 1150. But, like smiller, I put on my helmet, start the bike while holding the fast idle all the way up. After the rpm rise above 2K, I let the lever go back to the first detent and ride away. After leaving the stop sign a quarter mile away from my house, I stow the fast idle lever for the rest of the day. HOWEVER, as has been mentioned already, your bike isn't even close to being broken in. Ride it how you will normally ride it, and in another 5 to 10K, it will start limbering up.

Also, be sure to keep an eye on the oil level. It isn't uncommon for these engines to use some oil until they're broken in.

Most of all, good luck with your great find. Ride it and enjoy!!!!! And, welcome aboard our little corner of the internet. wave.gif

Make sure you have the radio unlock code. First time you disconnect your battery the radio will not work until you enter the 4 digit code.

I just read a post about a new owner looking to replace his sound system with a CD player, and the reply saying not to waste his time, but to just get a MP3 player and headphones, and a link to a site offering earbud headphones at 139 bucks a pair. Probably great stuff and quite high tech, but 139 bucks for headphones?

See the attached photo - I simply went to a local "Hi Fi City" electronics store and bought some Koss "Earbud" headphones for about 15 bucks. The foam inserts included with them were a bit of a joke, so I made a quick stop at an industrial safety store that sells EAR brand earplugs. They are the yellow "Christmas tree" styled earplugs that you see attached to the headphones. They come on a rubber line holding the pair together. Pulling out the ends of the rubber line leaves a nice opening that fits perfectly over the Koss headphone stalks. Using a drill bit of some kind, or finding a way making a hole from the OUTER edge of the earplug into the existing opening made vacant by pulling the line out makes a perfect set of riding headphones and earplug combo that you can fashion for under 20 bucks.

I have used them for 5 years now - still working perfectly. Buy extra sets of the earplugs, you'll mess up a few pair trying to get the hole drilled, but at 3 bucks a pair, you'll spend a lot less than 139 dollars.

I tried to sell the idea to Koss sometime back, but they weren't buying, so I may as well share it with the world. If it works for you, you could always go to my website and put 5 bucks in my paypal account, I am, after all, self-employed now - how's THAT for shameless promotion? Am I breaking any rules here?

Phil B.

762245-CheapMotorcycleAudio.JPG.d75e6811db75e79709aa34ed71c2dd6b.JPG

....See the attached photo - I simply went to a local "Hi Fi City" electronics store and bought some Koss "Earbud" headphones for about 15 bucks. The foam inserts included with them were a bit of a joke, so I made a quick stop at an industrial safety store that sells EAR brand earplugs. They are the yellow "Christmas tree" styled earplugs that you see attached to the headphones. They come on a rubber line holding the pair together. Pulling out the ends of the rubber line leaves a nice opening that fits perfectly over the Koss headphone stalks. Using a drill bit of some kind, or finding a way making a hole from the OUTER edge of the earplug into the existing opening made vacant by pulling the line out makes a perfect set of riding headphones and earplug combo that you can fashion for under 20 bucks.

I have used them for 5 years now - still working perfectly. Buy extra sets of the earplugs, you'll mess up a few pair trying to get the hole drilled, but at 3 bucks a pair, you'll spend a lot less than 139 dollars.

I tried to sell the idea to Koss sometime back, but they weren't buying, so I may as well share it with the world. If it works for you, you could always go to my website and put 5 bucks in my paypal account, I am, after all, self-employed now - how's THAT for shameless promotion? Am I breaking any rules here?

Phil B.

ah ha! I had tried to do this same thing, but used the Max Lite foam plus, with no sucess, since they did not stay on the Koss tubes. Will have to try the approach you mention. Seems like this may be the solution, since I'm sort of a cheapskate also. As far as the 5 bucks goes.....we'll see.

Steve - Use "superglue" on the stalks to hold the "EAR" earplugs solidly on the headphones, and don't cut the earplug tube length too short, leave a length to keep the plastic edge of the headphone itself off of your ear - the solid plastic putting pressure on the ear cartilidge becomes uncomfortable after awhile. Good luck - I'll be looking for the five bucks (smile)!

Phil B.

thanks guys for all of your input and help. I think that after hearing what you all have to say that I will just ride it for another 5k miles or so before taking it in for a tune up. The mp3 and head phones is cool. I already have a system that actually is flat and goes into the helmet speaker slots and uses velcro. They work good and the it has an input clip that mounts to the helmet shell. they were 60 bucks a pair about 6 years ago. I used them on my 99 RT and set a portable CD player on my accesory shelf that I instaled. Unfortunatley, for some reason a portable CD player would always shut down at 70mph. I never understoon it. Even if I kept it in my jacket. It was a sport CD player as well. I already have an ipod so I already have everything to do the mp3 player trick at no cost. I have been listening to the dash speakers and I find them acceptable for around town riding. I would just like higher quality speakers and the capability to run my ipod into the dash speakers. Any suggestions? I do have the code for the stereo. It came with everything. It was very well maintaned and taken care of. I just still cant believe th deal and how I stole it practically. I went to look thinking it was too good of a deal to be true. That there must be something wrong. I had looked at a 93 K1100LT that was suppose to be in excellent condition. It wasnt, the stereo didnt work, the master cylinder for the front brake had fluid spraying out, the ABS was malfunctioning and throwing the lights, the entire right side was wasted as if it went down hard. I was a little skeptical of driving far to look at this bike. When I pulled up I almost dropped my jaw, it looked brand new. It had more than he had even told me over the phone. I have already put about a hundred miles on in 3 days. Not bad since I work 3 miles from home and I took my daughter trick or treating last night.

Archived