IGNORED

2002 K1200RS- What size wrench to loosen tranny drain plug?

keithb

Hello All

Can someone tell me the type and size of wrench to loosen the transmission drain plug on a 2002 K1200RS? We were changing fluids today on my friends K1200RS and a #10 Allen wrench was not big enough to loosen the drain plug. Thanks in advance for your response.

Hello All

Can someone tell me the type and size of wrench to loosen the transmission drain plug on a 2002 K1200RS? We were changing fluids today on my friends K1200RS and a #10 Allen wrench was not big enough to loosen the drain plug. Thanks in advance for your response.

Well, you COULD just measure the distance across the hex with a millimeter caliper, or even a ruler! What is a #10 allen wrench anyway? You're not trying to use an American-sized set of allen wrenches, are you? The bike is metric. Or maybe you just meant 10mm?

You can pick up a 3-piece set of 1/2" drive 12-14-17mm. hex sockets for under $10.00 at Auto Zone.

Also the torque on the drain plug is 40 ft-lbs. or 55nM.

I meant a 10mm Allen wrench. I have no Calipers and a ruler will not fit up there.

OK then, stuff a piece of putty or chewing gum against the bolt, then pull it off and measure the hex flats impresssed in it.

I meant a 10mm Allen wrench. I have no Calipers and a ruler will not fit up there.

OK then, stuff a piece of putty or chewing gum against the bolt, then pull it off and measure the hex flats impresssed in it.

I use my thumb or a finger to do that, press hard enough for a few seconds and you get a good imprint.

Andy

Thanks Everyone. It takes a 14mm Allen wrench. The Auto Zone store carries it in a small kit of 3 sockets with 1/2" drive (12mm,14mm,17mm). You were right on BruceC. Thanks for your help and other posts.

Archived