IGNORED

Spark plugs? So much info its mildly confusing....

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

Well, I tried to do the right thing. I went to the push pinned list for Oil head replacement parts that Mitch started ages ago. I hit the show all button and read every one of them, but failed to get an answer to one question.....

What Bosch spark plugs would I be able to purchase in an auto parts store (off the shelf) for my 2004 R1100S Twin Spark? Now, I know there are plugs listed for twin sparks, but they list them as 1150 replacements. Do these work for the R1100S? The list also states what the correct plug for the bottom 1150 plug is, but there are so many listed above it that I am having a hard time filter out which is the exact STOCK replacement for the top plug. I don't want to change the heat range, I just want replacement plugs without having to go to the dealer and pay twice as much for them.

Here is the list as I found it....

SPARK PLUGS:

Bosch FR5DTC

Bosch FR6DDC

Bosch FR6LDC

Bosch (snd of twin spark models) YR6LDE

Bosch FR6DP1

Bosch (silver) FR6DS

Bosch 4417

Bosch 4418

NGK BKR7EKC

NGK BCPR7ET

NGK (iridium) BCR6EIX-11

NGK (iridium use at your own risk, very long protrusion, does NOT touch piston, sleep

well) IZFR6 B

Autolite 3923

Champion RC7YC©

Champion RC8YCC

Champion RC9YC (-4)

Spark plugs for REAL EMERGENCY ONLY on the road: CHAMPION RC12YC

Denso iridium hot IQ20

Denso iridium cold IQ22

Denso iridium hot IK20

Denso iridium cold IK22

Brisk hot DR15ZC

Brisk cold DR14ZC

Brisk DOR14LGS

Brisk very cold DOR12LGS

Can anyone help here. Sometimes too much information is just that, too much.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, the simple thing is to go to one of the on-line BMW parts dealers and buy from them, or, for that matter, your local dealer. With the ignition system in modern BMW's, spark plug replacement is a moot thing. I still have the original plugs in my '02 1100S after 51K miles. It runs fine. They are getting a little raggedy looking and the gaps have certainly opened some but the bike will still pull redline in 6th gear.

Based on that, the 3 sets of plugs you might need in the lifetime of the bike are a trivial cost.

You could also do a little work for yourself. You have a list. All of the major auto parts stores have a web site. Start searching the part numbers by plug mfg.

Lone_RT_rider

Well Ed, the "spread the love" tour obviously didn't make it to your block yet. While I appreciate the comments for what they a worth you missed a few things that I stated.

OK, the simple thing is to go to one of the on-line BMW parts dealers and buy from them, or, for that matter, your local dealer. With the ignition system in modern BMW's, spark plug replacement is a moot thing.

I think I covered this when I said that I really don’t want to pay twice as much for plugs at a dealer. One of the best tips I ever got on plugs was from this site and yes from a question I posted on a thread just like this one. It was a tip for Bosch 4418's for my R1100RT. Between those and the Denso Iridiums my RT has never been happier. It's tips like that I hope to find when I post something like this.

I still have the original plugs in my '02 1100S after 51K miles. It runs fine. They are getting a little raggedy looking and the gaps have certainly opened some but the bike will still pull redline in 6th gear.

That may be the case, but I found that a fresh set of plugs in my RT not only made the bike idle more smoothly (even when it was the only variable changed) and also helps with off-idle engine response. For this reason, I have found that changing the plugs more often than every 51,000 miles makes my bikes run better. Maybe I am more sensitive to it, maybe my RT is. For me, it's worth putting plugs in more often but I am not going to pay the dealer twice as much for them.

Based on that, the 3 sets of plugs you might need in the lifetime of the bike are a trivial cost.

I think I adequately addressed this above.

You could also do a little work for yourself. You have a list. All of the major auto parts stores have a web site. Start searching the part numbers by plug mfg.

Well, the fact that I read the entire "archive for R-bike maintenance part data" says that I am willing to do some research and I will continue to do this. I didn't think killing a small amount of bandwidth by asking a simple questions that someone might have the answer to would harm anyone, but who knows. Apparently it has harmed at least one person. crazy.gif

Shawn

What do you have in it now?? If thy are working well why not just use the same?? I am using Denso and have been very happy with them,

I still have the original plugs in my '02 1100S after 51K miles.

False economy, imo. There's nothing more surprising than replacing perfect-looking plugs and feeling the difference. One of the first truisms I learned about petrol engines.

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, you want an exact OEM replacement but don't want to pay dealer costs.

Your manual that came with your motorcycle lists spark plug specification in it. Go to the auto parts store web sites and price that plug (likely one of the Bosch plugs). Or, according to your religious bias (plugs are kinda like oil for this) pick a brand and run it.

I'm not harmed nor am I as sensitive as you seem to be. It is my opinion, and I have been racing and wrenching for lo these 45 years or so, that with a modern ignition system, any means of delivering a spark sufficient to light off the mixture and with a heat range that won't knock holes in the pistons or foul itself at idle is fine.

Yeah, your idle might get a bit smoother with new plugs, even your off idle response might improve, at least for the 1000 or so miles until the deposits build back up. I don't really notice any big difference nor do I care as my criteria for idle is that it does. As to off idle response, my S will pull away from a light at less than 1500 RPM and will run at less than that when trolling along in traffic.

I see no false economy in this. If it was impacting the fuel economy, I'd consider a replacement, certainly. Fact is, the S is the least sensitive bike to tune I have ever run into. Silly thing just runs. Gets 39 mpg in freeway trolling mode, 38 mpg on one memorable run up to Daytona a couple of years ago where I made 209 miles in 2 hrs 15 minutes with a gas stop. It's high was 45 mpg running the BRP at a 50 mph average without ever going over 55. The latter was with about 45K on it and the OEM plugs, BTW.

I hear you on the dealer cost thing, I hate being ripped off. FWIW, I tried the 4417's in my GS and didn't like them, went back to OEM. I was getting some pinging that wasn't there with the OEM plugs.

Well, I tried to do the right thing. I went to the push pinned list for Oil head replacement parts that Mitch started ages ago. I hit the show all button and read every one of them, but failed to get an answer to one question.....

What Bosch spark plugs would I be able to purchase in an auto parts store (off the shelf) for my 2004 R1100S Twin Spark? Now, I know there are plugs listed for twin sparks, but they list them as 1150 replacements. Do these work for the R1100S? The list also states what the correct plug for the bottom 1150 plug is, but there are so many listed above it that I am having a hard time filter out which is the exact STOCK replacement for the top plug. I don't want to change the heat range, I just want replacement plugs without having to go to the dealer and pay twice as much for them.

Here is the list as I found it....

(clip) Brisk very cold DOR12LGS

Can anyone help here. Sometimes too much information is just that, too much.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

Shawn, you state_ “which is the exact STOCK replacement for the top plug” then ask for an alternative plug.. That just can’t happen.. If you want the exact STOCK replacement heat range for the top plug then you will have to buy the plug listed in the service manual.. While there could be optional brand plugs that would work & be somewhat within the specified heat range no two plug brands have exactly overlapping heat ranges.. That is one of the things that the auto company engine teams fight with when it comes to specifying replacement spark plugs.. In most cases replacement spark plugs of another brand will only be close on heat range not exact..

Now you can do better on the cost of OEM spark plugs by using places like Chicago BWM (20% off list),, or Sparkplugs.com (www.sparkplugs.com/) if they have them.. Sparkplugs.com will usually list alternate brands if they have them available..

Twisty

Lone_RT_rider

Well all opinions on whether I actually need plugs aside, Chris K's option for Beemerboneyard seems to be the best information so far. I was just looking for part numbers that worked for my R1100S in aftermarket plugs at a more reasonable price that do not come from the dealer. Thanks to everyone that contributed. Have a wonderful week. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Archived