IGNORED

Remus vs. ZTechnik

Maggie

I spoke with my local dealer about aftermarket exhausts and they told me that the only one to get is the ZTechnik. The reason is that it is the only one that will maintain your warranty?? Is that true? Why would anyone put on an exhaust that would void your warranty. I have never heard of this before. I would like to consider the Remus, but not at the cost of my warranty. Any advice here?

Unless your modifications have a causal relationship with any warranty issues you have, they can't (legally) deny coverage.

I test rode a demo K1200R at a dealership that already had the Remus exhaust on it. I hope a dealership wouldn't set up a demo bike that they wouldn't warranty...

So, with that. Any preferences and then why you prefer one over the other? Which one is louder? Any performance differences? Weight? Finish?

Thank you very much!!

Personally I like Staintune.

Staintune has a removable baffle to control the volume. They are stainless steel and with the baffle in are not much louder then stock. They have a nice sound and due to the stainless steel are pretty much indestructable.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the ZTechnik required repacking. The Remus does not. I could be wrong on the ZTechnik though.

And, mine came on the bike when I bought it (demo bike). smile.gif

The Staintune is quieter than stock with the restrictor in, but has a much better "note".

Stock - 88dba @ 3750 rpm

Restrictor in - 86dba @ 3750 rpm

Restrictor out - 90dba @ 3750 rpm

I have just the slip on fitted and like the sound, it is still legal in Australia with the restrictor out (we have fairly restrictive noise legislation) a full system is available from Staintune. 5hp gain and weight saving of approx 3.5kg.

Ian smile.gif

If I'm not mistaken, I think the ZTechnik required repacking. The Remus does not. I could be wrong on the ZTechnik though.

No repacking needed on the 4001 sound is like remus less $200.

My BMW dealer stocks and installs Remus. I am sure he wouldn't do anything to jeopardize my warranty.

The Remus with the baffle in is EC approved and they sounded a bit louder with nicer tone than stock. I haven’t heard them without the baffle.

Alan

I have the Laser slip-on and it comes with two inserts. Quiet and Sport. They were both too quiet for me so I left them both out grin.gif. It sounds great and I think it's not loud at all. It's made of stainless steel also.

I recently installed a full Remus system on my R12ST. While shopping exhaust systems, I was initially told the same thing -- that the ZTechnik was the only exhaust replacement that would not void the warranty. Subsequently, my dealer said the other systems (Remus, Staintune, etc.) would not void my warranty, so I proceeded.

A while back, there was a discussion on the Adventure Rider forum in which some posters argued that replacement exhaust systems, like the Remus, make the R12 motors run too lean above 5500 rpm. Their argument seemed to be that a fuel mapping change is needed, either a chip reprogramming (which I was told Remus is working on, per the Remus representative at Max Moto) or an external fuel control system, ala Techlusion. I am not knowledgeable in this area, so hopefully someone else can expand on this.

Thus far, I have been very satisfied with my Remus system. Throttle roll-ons seem to be a little smoother, especially at low revs. It is louder than stock, but not objectionable, in my opinion. I also like the elimination of the cross-over pipe on the header.

some posters argued that replacement exhaust systems, like the Remus, make the R12 motors run too lean above 5500 rpm. Their argument seemed to be that a fuel mapping change is needed...I have been very satisfied with my Remus system
My dealer tells me that a Power Commander isn't necessary since the bike's computer will adjust to the Remus exhaust. I have been through this issue with other manufacturers and I know some bikes will adjust without problem. He said on the RT the motor is fine from the beginning. One model, I think the HP, took some time to fully adapt. My dealer seems quite knowledgeable and puts on a lot of Remus systems so I trust him. I will know for sure next month.

Alan

I have the Remus Revolution slip-on only on my ST. Works great, I always use it without baffle. It's not clear, do I have to remap it or it's fine for slip-ons???

I installed a Remus full system on my 05 RT, I like, it can be quiet even with the baffle out if you don't drive it hard, or produce a loud staccato when the throttle is snapped open. The seat of the pants dyno feels as if there is a noticeable power increase. As far as remapping, reprogramming or using a Power Commader type device, I was told that the FI will automatically adjust to the perecived demands of the new system.

It was interesting to me that the exhaust inlets on the stock system are fairly restricted by the welds on the insides of the flanges. At least on my bike this was the case. The bead was no where being flush with the inside pipe wall. The Remus head pipes are of a larger diameter and had a much cleaner weld on the inside. Just my thoughts.

Fran

It's not clear, do I have to remap it or it's fine for slip-ons???
You should be able to tell by how the engine runs. If it runs like it did with the stock system it is fine. If it surges, backfires, stumbles, wont' hold an idle, etc. it needs to be remapped. As I recall, there are two different types of systems - closed loop and open loop. In one, the computer sets the engine based on fixed parameters and if you radically change the exhaust or intake the motor won't run right without remapping. In the other, the computer reads intake and exhaust and adjusts the settings to what is actually happening in the motor. In essence it remaps itself based on the present needs of the motor.

Alan

My dealer mentioned to me that if I replaced the exhaust I should consider also removing the catalytic converter. He says it's extra weight and you eliminate excessive heat. Additonally, he indicated it would not void the warranty nor change emission numbers to any great degree. Anyone else heard or done this?

Thanks.

My dealer mentioned...I should consider also removing the catalytic converter. He says it's extra weight and you eliminate excessive heat. Additonally, he indicated it would not...change emission numbers to any great degree. Anyone else heard or done this?
My dealer said the same thing and I am following his advice.

Alan

I also know that one of the ST owners just removed the cat without replacing the headers. The muffler shop did it for him for 10 times less than the price of the headers. What is the main reason for replacing the headers? is it just for cat removal? If it is just for that reason I will just remove the cat.

It terms of the weight saving there isn't much to be saved. These new 1200 exhaust systems are much lighter than the 1150s. If the Remus header pipes are wider than the stock then it's a different story.

Your opinions???

I just installed the Leo Vince slip on on my 1200RT. On the Leo Vince web site it lists a slip on for the R1200ST. Well I checked out the BMW microfiche and the part numbers for the ST and RT muffler are exactly the same. I called Vince and they were willing to let me try it. I installed it last night and took it for a ride today, it looks good and sounds good. It is much lighter than stock, no noticible problems. I don't know if there is an improvement in performance or not. The Leo Vince is less expensive than the Remus or the ZTechnic, I went with the Titanium. http://www.leovinceusa.com/index.php

I had Leo Vince aluminum ovals on the Duc and was really happy with the sound and build quality. Are you using them with or without the insert?

Archived