IGNORED

Chalk one up for the Stebel Nautilus horn

Paul_G

A week ago, I pulled up to a fourway stop. Looked left,

saw a vehicle coming, looked right, saw nothing. Looked left again and realized that vehicle was a whole lotcloser to the stop sign than he should have been.I watched

for a few seconds longer and came to the conclusion that

it was going to run the intersection at 60 plus mph in a 35 zone.

I noticed that both front windows were down. A fraction of a second before the vehicle was halfway through

the intersection, I lit the airhorn for about two seconds. I found the cage drivers reaction amusing. He fliched

as if he has been shot, and slid all the way left. He was almost two hundred feet beyond the intersection at full speed before he recovered his wits enough to remember to give me the American one finger salute.

The horn did it's job that Sunday. Please allow me to add, in tewnty years of riding, I can count on one hand the number of times I have found it necessary to use a horn defensively. In retrospect, this was not a defensive move, but I sure found it darn amusing.

I followed the vehicle a half mile to the next redlight. Watched him run through that at 80+ mph, barely dodging a dual diagonal double T-bone and then called 911.

Gave them an accurate description and location and the placed an alert.

Ride carefully,

Paul

Good for you, Paul. thumbsup.gif

I had a Nautilus on my last bike(I feel the horns on my RT are quite adequate). I have no hesitation in using the horn to let someone know they aren't getting away un-noticed for doing something stupid, even if it doesn't directly endanger me at the time.

A fave is when I'm first in line at an intersection. The oncoming traffic has a green arrow, my light turns green, & there are still three cars in the intersection. I happily start out, & sit on the horn. I don't expect, or even want, them to stop. I only hope they are at least embarrased enough to think twice about it next time.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got Stebel's on both of my beemers. I'm not shy about using them when a cager does some bonehead stunt, either. They surely get noticed.

Frank

Paul,

I'm glad the horns worked great. But most importantly, I'm glad your brain was working even better. Paying attention and driving defensively is far superior to twelve sets of airhorns on any bike. Your head saved your life, the horns embarrased a person who has no business on public streets.

As and aside, I too use my horns (stock BMW) on my RT to point out to stoopids what I think of their driving. The last time was three or four weeks ago while driving through Knoxville on the interstate. As I came abeam to an onramp, a lady in a minivan started to cut into my lane, unfortunately, in the same spot I was occupying at the time. For some strange reason, instead of giving her my customary single long blast, I gave her three shorter bursts. She immediately moved back into her lane and as I sped up to get in front of her (while giving her the evil eye) she had an embarrased look on her face and was waving appologetically. Because of her reaction, I simply waved back, using all my fingers, and proceded on my way.

I don't mind as much people doing bonehead stuff when they are contrite after discovering their mistake. Utter and complete idiots like the one that you wrote about should have their license taken away and if they're found behind the wheel again should spend a very, very long time behind bars. There's a big difference between stupid and wreckless. Sorry for the slight highjack, but I'm glad you were using your head and riding with your head on a swivel.

Sticky_throttle
I'm glad the horns worked great. But most importantly, I'm glad your brain was working even better. Paying attention and driving defensively is far superior to twelve sets of airhorns on any bike. Your head saved your life, the horns embarrased a person who has no business on public streets.

...I don't mind as much people doing bonehead stuff when they are contrite after discovering their mistake. Utter and complete idiots like the one that you wrote about should have their license taken away and if they're found behind the wheel again should spend a very, very long time behind bars. There's a big difference between stupid and wreckless. Sorry for the slight highjack, but I'm glad you were using your head and riding with your head on a swivel.

+1! thumbsup.gif

Archived