IGNORED

synthetic oil in an older bike

SLABS

Hopefully, a more knowledgable RT guy will respond for you! I rode a 04 RT-P and did have on one occasion a transmission slipping problem as all RT-P called for synthetic. A quick trip to the dealer and 3 days later I got it back with sythetic Amsoil and no further problems. 22,000 miles in just over a year! It was an acceleration in 6th gear issue only.

I bought a 2000 Rt with 40,000 miles on it and was wondering if it would be worth it to switch to synthetic oil.
Worth it in what sense? How long do you intend to keep the bike? Do you ride in traffic in hot weather where the bike gets hot? FWIW I would switch.
ShovelStrokeEd

No reason why not or, for that matter, no reason to.

If you stick with the recommended oil change interval (6K miles) there is no particular reason or need for synthetic. OK, maybe one if you operate at extreme temperatures (engine, not atmosphere) and loads alot.

I used to really like synthetic oils (Mobil 1) in most all my bikes. Recently I switched to using Shell Rotella 15w40 dino oil. I haven't let the bike see what I pour in there yet and so far, it has not complained.

No reason why not or, for that matter, no reason to.

If you stick with the recommended oil change interval (6K miles) there is no particular reason or need for synthetic. OK, maybe one if you operate at extreme temperatures (engine, not atmosphere) and loads alot.

I used to really like synthetic oils (Mobil 1) in most all my bikes. Recently I switched to using Shell Rotella 15w40 dino oil. I haven't let the bike see what I pour in there yet and so far, it has not complained.

lmao.gif

...I used to really like synthetic oils (Mobil 1) in most all my bikes. Recently I switched to using Shell Rotella 15w40 dino oil. I haven't let the bike see what I pour in there yet and so far, it has not complained.

There is something that bridges the two: Rotella synthetic.

The synthetic Rotella is a little more costly than the Rotella dino oil, but it's only about half the price of Mobil 1.

ShovelStrokeEd

Sure, why not. There is considerable overlap within the oil viscoity vs temperature range equation with, IMHO, a pretty good margin to go either way. For the range of ambient temperatures I encounter, the 15w40 splits the difference pretty well. The Rotella, being a diesel oil, has slightly different composition than does that of oil compounded for gasoline engines. My gut feeling, since motorcycle engines tend to run at a higher specific output than do automotive engines, is that an oil made to handle the higher loads of a diesel motor should make a pretty nice compromise. Wouldn't it be nice to find a car tuned to the level of say, my Blackbird. 160 crankshaft HP from 1100cc. Translate that to a car with a 3.0 liter engine and wheeeeee!

You could also run a synthetic blend motor oil like Castrol in 20W-50, about $3.25 a qt. at Wal-Mart. I run a '98 R1100RT in South Florida in city traffic a lot; I like Mobil 1 15W-50 extended mileage. You can get a 5 qt. jug for $27 and change. Being in Connecticut (not exactly a hot-weather state compared to the deep South and SouthWest) you could just run regular dino Castrol GTX 20W-50. Or like the other guys suggested, Shell Rotella in either dino or synthetic. You have many alternatives. Don't forget your final drive fluid, trans fluid, and annual brake flush.

Thanks for the replys everybody. It's true we don't get hot weather like the South but we do get up into the 90's and we get congested trafic with alot of stop and go and it gets so bad I have to pull over to let the motor cool down that's why I was thinking about switching over to synthectic which I have been using in all my other bikes and vehicles for years.

...I used to really like synthetic oils (Mobil 1) in most all my bikes. Recently I switched to using Shell Rotella 15w40 dino oil. I haven't let the bike see what I pour in there yet and so far, it has not complained.

There is something that bridges the two: Rotella synthetic.

The synthetic Rotella is a little more costly than the Rotella dino oil, but it's only about half the price of Mobil 1.

Is it available in Synthetic 15W-40? I could only find it in 5W-40 Synthetic.

ShovelStrokeEd

Is it available in Synthetic 15W-40? I could only find it in 5W-40 Synthetic.

Nope. 5w40 is all there is. I wouldn't let that stop me if you feel that synthetic is necessary. You are really not going to hurt anything with that oil in there. Might even see a small increase in fuel economy. Remember, it is the second number that is more important as that reperesents the viscocity when the oil is up to temperature. The extra "cling" and lubricity of the synthetic oils should make the question of low temperature operation moot. There is a huge overlap in those charts that show temperture vs viscosity and a considerable margin as well.

The 5W40 means that the oil flows like a 5 weight would at 0°c but doesn’t thin out any more than a straight 40 weight would at 100°c.. What isn’t known from those numbers is what the working equivalent viscosity would be at normal oil operating temperature..

I have used the Rotella-T 15W40 in my GoldWing for years & every time I try the 5W40 Rotella-T I get a significant (& noticeable) increase in hot engine operating noise.. The 5W40 does give me much easier cold starts & better fast idle in below 20°f weather.. As mentioned above it really isn’t a wear issue, with me it’s simply a noise issue.. The 5W40 Rotella-T isn’t a true synthetic oil anyhow as it is just a highly refined dino base that meets synthetic specs under marketing rules..

You people using the 15W40 Rotella-T keep in mind there is a change coming in that oil very soon.. Due to the new diesel emission & particulate regulations coming in 07 that good old standard Rotella-T 15W40 is undergoing a change to remove (well change anyhow) some of those nice (Compression Ignition) anti-wear & anti-scuff additives to more emission device friendly designer fluff.. I don’t think the 5W40 is getting any changes (at least I haven’t been sent any documentation to that effect yet)..

Twisty

Thanks, I am familiar with what the numbers mean, I was curious as to what was available since it was mentioned it could be had in synthetic and I always like to know what alternatives are around.

In Florida I rarely see such low temps requiring 5w-X in this engine so while it would probably be OK, my personal preference (without wanting to start a debate) is to put xW weight in which fits the climate/viscosity chart more closely.

Does any one have any thoughts on "oil additives" in the oil heads?

michael

Boy, did you ever open a can of worms now??!!??!!?

Personally, I don't use oil additives in any vehicle I own. I figure if you use good quality oil and change it at the recommended intervals, you shouldn't need it. But then again, I think the red RT is the fastest also.

As for the synthetic question, I just switched from Castrol Synth blend to Mobil 1, and per the owner's manual for the temps I ride in, I used the 15W50. I have noticed that in stop and go traffic in warm and hot weather, the oil temp hasn't gone above 6 bars now...the Mobil 1 releases it's heat better than dino oil. The only thing I've noticed with the full synthetic is that on cool, rainy days, the oil temp lingers at just three bars for a while before it finally gets up to its customary 5 bars.

FWIW, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

Does any one have any thoughts on "oil additives" in the oil heads?

michael

I saw an infomercial where Al Unser drove a car thru the streets of LA on a Summer day after draining all the oil from the engine - but not before adding Motor Up.

That car drove all day at normal operating temps. When they took the engine apart there was NO damage.

I was a believer after seeing that!

I saw an infomercial................

That says it all ! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifdopeslap.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

Stan

Did you see it to?

I did a search for MotorUp. Look what I found...

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

BTW - incase you didn't know - I was being sarcastic. I do not put anything in my oil. I do use a fuel injector cleaner in my fuel system - Usually Chevron Techron. Redline fuel injector cleaner is supposed to be good too.

slabs:

Nope. Just reg'lar old Mobil 1 synthetic. I think it's the extended life, but I'm not sure. It's 15W50 with the red cap. I change it every 6K just like dino oil, but Artie seems happy with it. I even show him the bottles before I feed them to him and he's given me full approval. wink.gif

Archived