IGNORED

R12RT key question

Angel

I purchased my bike from an individual. At the time of purchase the seller gave me 1 metal key and 1 remote (for the factory alarm). Yesterday in the mail I received from the seller an additional remote with 2 keys. 1 of the keys is totally plastic? whats the point of this plastic key?

The second key is metal but doesn't look at all like the ignition key he gave me at prurchase or the plastic key just sent.

In fact the key is a rather wierd shape with no Thumdle? or (handle).

any body here got a clue..

The obvious would be for me to dig up his contact info call him and find out but that would take up too much time... I gotta go ride today grin.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

My '06 only came with one metal key, and the plastic key. The plastic key is the emergency/wallet key, as it was explained to me. Not as durable as the regular key, but only intended to get you out of a bind until you can get a new metal key.

I went ahead and ordered a spare metal key. Don't like the idea of the plastic key.

I believe you only have two keys that will start your bike, the handled metal key and the plastic key. The third metal key sounds like it is for your trunk and or saddle bags. It doesn't have the embedded security chip so your bike will not run with it.

All 2006 RTs in North America came with only the one embedded metal key and one plastic embedded key. Actually I like the plastic key as a backup. I wear it on a credential necklace under my shirt when riding. It is small and temperature nuetral so I don't notice it no matter what the weather. It's always exactly where I need it if the unthinkable happens and I misplace my standard key. dopeslap.gif It seemes sufficiently durable to get me home even if home is two weeks away. cool.gif

I should get an additional embedded metal key even though they are quite expensive after special ordering and coding to your bike by the dealer.

"I should get an additional embedded metal key even though they are quite expensive after special ordering and coding to your bike by the dealer."

How expensive?

The third metal key sounds like it is for your trunk and or saddle bags. It doesn't have the embedded

security chip so your bike will not run with it.

The trunk and saddle bags that come with the RT should use the same key which starts the bike. Usually keys that come with luggage purchased seperately(like on the GS) have a gray handled keys

I agree the key cut should be the same, but with his description the key doesn't have the embedded chip. No chip and coding = no go. The chip is embedded in the plastic/rubber part of the key. It might freely turn the ignition switch, but the starter will not activate nor will the engine management operate.

I paid $45 for one and the dealer coded the bike to it for free. But he wouldn't have had to. 1/2 hour shop labor to hook the GT1 to the bike and code the bike to the key seems about right.

BTW, they had to have all the keys to do it. Apparently the program is "code the keys" not "add a key" so to speak.

Could the key had been immobilized at some point?

When I bought my RT, the dealer mentioned that bike could be programmed to work with another key, in the event that original was lost and stolen. After this is done, the original would no longer work with the bike.

Rocket_Cowboy

According to the manual (I had to do something while I waited for deliver of the new bike!), you can add multiple keys to the system, as well as go back and ban/block pre-existing keys.

I suspect it's basically as was mentioned above ... you probably need all the keys there at once in order to activate a new key, because the procedure is probably more like an "activate keys" rather than a "add" or "remove" key feature.

Good price smile.gif That half hour for the GT1 coding would add the $45.00

As you stated all your keys to be used need to be coded again when adding a key. I believe the max number of keys is four. If you lost a key, it will not be usuable once you have coded your remaining keys.

My '05 RT (01/2005 build) came with two "real" keys, two plastic keys, and two alarm fobs. It's one of those things that BMW cut back on later in 2005.

Yea, and I bet you got a decent horn and tool kit crazy.gif

Later 2006 models got a moped horn, a tool kit that opens your oil cap but little else, and two keys (one plastic).

Great bike that has had no warranty issues in 12000 miles, but I am disappointed in these cost cutting measures.

I'm pretty sure all keys don't have to be present when adding a key. I've owned 2 R1200RT's, and the dealer ordered the second "real" key for each bike. In both cases, I just picked up the key from the parts department, went out the the bike, tried it, and it worked.

all the best,

Mike

Mike,

If I understand you correctly you say you ordered keys that were cut for your bike. You then picked up the keys from parts and took them out to your bike and they started the engine without coding the bike to them?

Engine management should reject that new key until it is recognized as a result of the CIP operation with the GT1 tester at the dealer. The bike's computer has to recognize that key's chip to permit starting and running. There was no delete or add key function that did not require all your keys the last time I demonstrated that function.

Are you sure all your keys work, the original and new ones?

Interesting eek.gif

Mudman,

Yupper, all the keys work. It's my understanding the key are coded by BMW. The VIN had to be supplied, along with personal info showing ownership, before they were made.

all the best,

Mike

Mine's an '05 which I purchased new in April of '06(don't know the build date).

With I got:

1 Real Key

1 Plastic Key

1 Joke of a Toolkit frown.gif

But I did get the loud dual horn clap.gif

Thanks, eveyone.

Still don't know what the halk key is for... I think it may have been semnt to me by mistake.

The good news is that I learned that: I got 2 keys (one metal one plastic), A decent horn (better than my cage even) and a crappy toolkit...

Mine's an '05 which I purchased new in April of '06(don't know the build date).

With I got:

1 Real Key

1 Plastic Key

1 Joke of a Toolkit frown.gif

But I did get the loud dual horn clap.gif

Good for you thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I have to buy a horn just to stay up eek.gif

That's good to know, thanks.

I was reviewing my notes and noted all keys were needed if you were deleting a lost key. Also the limit is ten keys for the bike.

Time to order a spare metal key thumbsup.gif

Is there any any way to defeat or disable the key/transponder part of the ignition so you can use a plain key? To me, this is just one more thing that could go wrong and leave you stranded by the road. Anything electromechanical can fail. Simple is good and I don't really think the chip in the key will prevent someone from stealing a bike if they want it. Maybe a car, but not a bike. Even if they stole the bike and couldn't start it, they could sell it as parts.

Al

Nope. The ETK module must both see a ignition ring antenna present, and a good key code from it, to pass the EWS test and then allow the start sequence to begin.

The BMS engine management will not work without it. I agree with your concerns, but it has been a reasonably reliable system. The one problem I heard of was a defective key antenna. Once this part was replaced all was well without any tester programing.

The insurance industry was instrumental in this implementation. I think you will see more bikes coming with a similar system.

Same experience as eaglemike. The dealer ordered a second key for me when I bought the bike (06GS). I picked up the key when it arrived and it works.

Same experience as eaglemike. ... I picked up the key when it arrived and it works.

Times two here. Was 45 bucks. It was easy - but frankly, I agree with others that the idea that we need to buy a second REAL key is a bit of a bummer.

By the way - when you buy the spare, make sure that you can remember the very safe place you store it in because they are easy to misplace. Don't ask me how I know... dopeslap.gif

Archived