IGNORED

Draining Fuel Tank

allynr1100

Anyone have a good way of draining the fuel tank on an R1100RT. Last time I tried the hose clamp on the fuel line trick I ended up with nothing but a big mess.

You can insert small diameter (I forget the size) plastic tubing, not the flexible clear "model airplane tubing" but the semi-rigid opaque stuff, into the end of your disconnected return line and let gravity do its thing into an appropriately sized recepticle. You'll have to tape or otherwise secure the low end and you will have to wait for it to happen. It will not drain 100%, but it will do a creditable job, mnaking the tank easier to deal with. The nice thing is that you leave the tank in place and leave all the other connections in place until you're ready to deal with them.

I just use 1/4" rigid plastic tubing, several feet longer than floor length, and start a siphon though the filler cap. Just stick one end down in the lower lobe of the tank. You can use one of those squeeze bulb things from the auto parts store. Or you can risk a few brain cells like I do, just do it by mouth. Of course I had a lot of experience in the middle of the last century, when this was SOP, and OSHA was a town in Wisconsin. YMMV. Good Luck.

ShovelStrokeEd

Ah yes, the old Ozark credit card.

Be sure to use a suitable container for the gas and you can pour it back in when your done. If you don't have one of those squeeze bulb pumps be aware that a mouthful of gas can flat ruin your day. The stuff tastes nasty and is toxic as all getout.

OK, a trick I have used for siphoning is to push the tubing into the tank, or another fuel filled container, fully, so that the tube fills with gas fully. I coil it so I can get it all in. Then put your finger over one end and leave the other in the tank. Your finger will keep the fuel in the hose if you act failry quickly. Put the other end in the receptacle container, let go with your finger and it should start flowing. Make sure the end of the tube in the receptacle is below the end of the tube in the tank for gravity to work. It takes a little practice and a few tries sometimes, but I have found it works 90% of the time.

good luck

mike

Lemmee tell you about siphoning gas through the filler cap. You want to get the hose down to the bottom of the right side of the tank to get all the gas out. Know what else is in the right side of the tank? The fuel level sensor tube, the low fuel light float, the fuel pump, and the fuel filter (if you haven't externalized it). Know what happens when your siphon tube wraps itself around any of these objects in your fuel tank? You have to remove the tank, remove the filler neck, remove the fuel pump mounting plate, untangle the hose, and put everything back together. frown.gif

I have a short piece of hose attached to a spare quick-disconnect in case I need to drain the tank. Pull the side tupperware, pop on the drain hose and viola.

I have a short piece of hose attached to a spare quick-disconnect in case I need to drain the tank. Pull the side tupperware, pop on the drain hose and viola.

That idea was just entered in to my notebook of worthy tips... Thanks Mr. Smith

Archived