IGNORED

R1100 Fork seals

Krolroger

Hello, can I install the fork seals with the fixed tubes removed? Haynes and the BMW factory manual state that you should install the seal with the fixed tube in place, but I can't think what to use as a suitable drift. Thanks for advice.

It's easy. Put a 2x1 board under your center stand and put your hard bags on: the bike will rock back on the rear wheel. Tie your center stand for security. Then remove your front wheel, remove the calipers and unbolt the fork lower from the brace and it will slide off. Then lever the old seal out, cut off the rubber lip off the old seal, flip it over and use it help push the new seal in place. Then simply reverse the procedure. smile.gif

Hello, can I install the fork seals with the fixed tubes removed? Haynes and the BMW factory manual state that you should install the seal with the fixed tube in place, but I can't think what to use as a suitable drift. Thanks for advice.

I replaced mine without having the fixed stancion in place and had no problems. I used a piece of 1.5" schedule 40 PVC pipe as the drift. Fit perfectly and no leaks.

Mick

I replaced mine without having the fixed stancion in place and had no problems.
Same here. The fixed tubes just pull out (or I guess you could even leave them on the bike - never thought of that one) and then it's easy to drift the new seal into place. I never could figure out why BMW and Haynes say to leave the fixed tubes installed in the lower stancions when replacing the seal as that would just greatly complicate the effort.

Archived