IGNORED

One of my R1200RT Heated Grips won't heat up anymore!

Joe_Rocket

Hi Gang,

The left heated grip on my R1200RT doesn't get warm anymore... just wondering if anyone else has experienced this failure before I take it in. It is under warranty, but if I could fix it myself, I would rather.

Joe

First I've heard of it in the hexheads, but it pops up now and then on the oilheads.

Unlike on the oilheads where the grips are independent, on the hexheads they are controlled directly by the ZFE module. If you really want to dig into it, the right grip outputs on pin 55 and the left on pin 47. You could check for voltage there. Otherwise this is likely a dealer issue.

Agreed. It it isn't a common problem that is easy to fix; in it goes. I tend to hate having someone else work on my RT.

Just take it to your dealer...thats what a warranty is for IMO....and that's part of the premium price you paid for the bike.
If you really want to dig into it, the right grip outputs on pin 55 and the left on pin 47.

Ken.

Where do you find this kind of information?

I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for the R1200RT for just this kind of information.

I have the repair manual CD but it does not really have much information on the electrical system, at least not that I can find!

Andy.

If you really want to dig into it, the right grip outputs on pin 55 and the left on pin 47.

Ken.

Where do you find this kind of information?

I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for the R1200RT for just this kind of information.

I have the repair manual CD but it does not really have much information on the electrical system, at least not that I can find!

Andy.

I have the wiring diagram for the R1200GS but not the R1200RT. But for this particular question I happen to know the ETK module is the same. Hardware wise anyway. For unique to the RT stuff (like for example wiring for the ESA) I'm up the proverbial creek yet too.

A small aside re: heated grips on the 1200RT.........The left one is noticably cooler than the right one, at least on my bike....No big deal but noticable....

Phil.......

I believe that is due to the insulating effect of the throttle tube. On other bikes that I installed heater elements on this was also the case. Some people insulate the left side grip to lessen this effect. I think BMW must have done something to try and lessen this effect since it was far more noticeable on my VFR than on my RT.

A small aside re: heated grips on the 1200RT.........The left one is noticably cooler than the right one, at least on my bike....No big deal but noticable....

Phil.......

Hmmm.... it was probably in the low 60's... not really cold, but cold enough for my Arizona blood smile.gif

What was the temperature when you tried it. ZFE will not provide or provide very little power to the grips if it is warm outside thumbsup.gif

I didn't realise that. I've never noticed it but then I tend not to use the grips when its warm! Not sure I approve as a good blast from the grips when wet, even if the ambient temperature is mild, is rather pleasant.

Paul

I took mine to the dealer for 18K service in September and the computer stored an error code for my throttle grip not heating up. I didn't realize it wasn't working because I had no need to turn it on in September. Dealer told me it needed fixed and did it under warranty thumbsup.gif

Paul,

I believe it is set to attain a specific temp on the two settings. If the ambient temp is near or above the setting the grips do not heat. This is the same setup the BMW cages have used for many years. In your example the grips should get to between 95f and 105f depending on setting. They will then stay at that heat until turned off.

• 5 weeks later...

Grip was replaced by dealer under warranty and all is well now... which is a good thing since it was 36 degrees out this morning! COLD (for here in az anyway)

Joe

Also had left handlebar grip power die, simply was unplugged at the grip, dealer replugged and worked fine. This was at 30k miles, which was in June this year. Odd I noticed it then, but was raining in the southeast and was a touch chilly on the hands.

Historically anyway, the l.h. grip seems to suffer more failures than r.h. ones - anecdotally at least.

One comment on this I heard years ago was because the l.h. grip is the one most usually manhandled when putting the bike on it's centrestand - people inclined to pull a bit more than they need to.

Actually, they shouldn't need to pull it at all, but that's a whole other ball of wax...........

AdventurePoser
Just take it to your dealer...thats what a warranty is for IMO....and that's part of the premium price you paid for the bike.

thumbsup.gif

Steve in So Cal

ps-why do you need to heat your handgrips???

81332486-M.jpg

Steve

Archived