IGNORED

r11rt oil filter vs r12gs oil filter

maxscycle

Any have experience on the r12gs oil filter vs. the r11rt filter. There diameter looks the same, the threads look the same. The rt length is twice the gs. It seems as though I should use the rt filter on the gs and get twice the filtering capacity. I know it would hang down more and could get snagged on terrain, but I ride only on pavement. Any thoughts or ideas?

Gentlemen,

Am I correct in understanding the longer oilhead filter actually hangs below and outside of oil pan on hex heads ? If so, I'd be very worried about road rock hitting & puncturing thin filter metal; adios 4 qts of oil and kiss motor goodbye !

Many years ago, common airhead option was deeper after market oil pan. A buddy in Las Cruces holed his on paved road.

Wooster who may be worrying too much

maxscycle, you might want to cut both filters open after use & look at the actual internal pleated filter length.. In a lot of cases on auto filters they use about the same internal pleated filter, just in a longer can..

Twisty

Gentlemen,

Am I correct in understanding the longer oilhead filter actually hangs below and outside of oil pan on hex heads ? If so, I'd be very worried about road rock hitting & puncturing thin filter metal; adios 4 qts of oil and kiss motor goodbye !

Many years ago, common airhead option was deeper after market oil pan. A buddy in Las Cruces holed his on paved road.

Wooster who may be worrying too much

Yes it does, by about 3/4". But on the GS there is a skid plate below, on the RT body work is lower, and on other models, well, where the heck are you taking them anyway? Sure anything's possible, but personal opinion, you may be Wooster who may be worrying too much. grin.gif

I was not going to say anything until at least one more oil change but since the topic has come up I will respond. I have been running an 04 RT oil filter in my 05 RT for 4.6K miles. It hangs down maybe 1/4" below the drain plug or the fan blades or whatever you call the blades at the bottom of the engine. You have to stand 5'-6' away and bend down to even see this longer filter. So far absolutely no issues, problems, or worries whatsoever. I have one more 04 RT filter left and I will definitely be using it for my next oil change.

Sure anything's possible, but personal opinion, you may be Wooster who may be worrying too much. grin.gif

Wouldn't be the first time !

Wooster trying to "don't worry be happy"

Archived