IGNORED

Transmission Identification

smiller

I'm trying to ID an oilhead transmission of unknown origin and wondering... do only RT models have black cases or did any other models (R, RS, etc.) ever have a black case as well? IOW, does a black case mean that the transmisison could only have come from an RT?

Ah, interesting, thanks. I didn't know that about the GS. But that would be OK for me since I think that the internals of an 1100 GS and RT transmission are identical.

The RS (and maybe R) have different gear ratios though so I'm also wondering if the R or RS ever came with a black transmission. Anyone out there have one or know of one like this?

Ah, interesting, thanks. I didn't know that about the GS. But that would be OK for me since I think that the internals of an 1100 GS and RT transmission are identical.

The RS (and maybe R) have different gear ratios though so I'm also wondering if the R or RS ever came with a black transmission. Anyone out there have one or know of one like this?

I don't think you want the GS sport transmission. The ratios are lousy in my opinion. You should try and find the part number on the unit and match it up.

Hmmm... from all of the above it would appear that the mere fact a transmission is black doesn't really mean jack as far as ID purposes go... crazy.gif

If you need to know which version of the tranny, try this link.
That info tells me the approximate age and model (M94/M95/M97) of the transmission but unfortunately doesn't help determine which model bike a transmission came from... and this matters because the R/RS gearing is different from the GS/RT.

Thanks for the responses everyone, appreciate it.

Bart Anderson
...and this matters because the R/RS gearing is different from the GS/RT.

Are you sure about that? See pp. 23.3-6 in the service manual...the ratios appear to be the same. I think it's the FD on the GS that makes it different.

Are you sure about that? See pp. 23.3-6 in the service manual...the ratios appear to be the same. I think it's the FD on the GS that makes it different.
Ah Bart, you are right. I got my information from the service manual but I should have looked closer as checking again I see that only the very early RS transmissions had different ratios but every oilhead transmission from the M94 onward does appear to be the same. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Archived