IGNORED

Conversion to standard brakes

bikergeo

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the servo assisted ABS brake system on the '04 R1150RT to a standard NON ABS and NON servo assisted brake system by using BMW parts from earlier models. If so, what parts were used and what problems were encountered doing the conversion?

russell_bynum

Bob (Tweety Byrd on this forum) converted his R1150RT to standard, Non-servo, non-abs brakes. I don't recall the details, but I know it wasn't cheap.

I suggest contacting him for details on what was involved.

I think you're going to have a tough time finding OEM BMW parts to do it that will exactly fit your RT model.

But if you really want to go there, any competent brake shop should be able to fabricate the necessary lines to plumb the front and rear master cylinders directly to the calipers.

When this has come up before, the general consensus is that the master cylinders are up to the task of generating enough pressure to drive the pistons directly. At least the R1100xx ones. Which are a direct swap into the R1150xx if need be as part of the conversion.

Why anyone would want to give up ABS is beyond, me, but it's your bike / neck.

Along those lines, I'd like to get rid of the power brakes side of my 06r1200gs, but I will not give up the abs side. (the 07 r1299gs did this same thing), any ideas?

Along those lines, I'd like to get rid of the power brakes side of my 06r1200gs, but I will not give up the abs side. (the 07 r1299gs did this same thing), any ideas?
Oh that's a whole 'nother challenge. The ABS and power assist unit are one in the same. Short of spending big bucks to retrofit the new '07 system (which is barely out the door even with BMW itself) on a '06 bike, I think you're out of luck.

If I wanted it that bad, I think I'd just trade the bike in on a new one first. Before going down that (conversion) road.

Take a look at this link for a GS conversion: Bypass ABS. It does not seem to be complicated. In fact, I am wondering if the banjo attachment would not fit directly to the lower wheel circuit without the need of additional hardware.

bypass_abs_front.jpg

Home grown brake systems are done all the time on choppers and dune buggies. You have the calipers and discs already, it is a matter of whether or not the current master cylinder can accutate the calipers without you having to put too much or too little force on the lever (depends on the m/c piston diameter).

As someone mentioned R1100 parts would fit for the master cylinder, those should be readily available new or used. R1150 parts from a non ABS bike should work as well, it is just a matter of the plumbing.

You'd have to consider a clean way to remove all the old servo ABS unit, plumbing, wiring and sensors. You might be able to pay for the conversion by selling these parts if they are in working condition.

Archived