IGNORED

Oil changes

Norrie123

I think every 5000-6000 miles is fine - maybe a little more often if you live in an extreme climate, do lots of short rides, spend time on the track, or ride like you're on one.

Jay

First off, welcome to the board.

I think you will find that BMW recommend every 10K Kms. They specify a 'service' every 20K starting at 10K with an 'Inspection' every 20K starting at 20K.

The use of terms is misleading as the 'Service' is a minor service and 'Inspection' a major. The oil and filter is changed as part of both services.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

How often should the oil and filter be changed on the 12RT? 20Kms seems a bit ridiculas, I've been doing mine every 4K.

Norman

I change my oil and the filter every 5,000 km, regardless. Oil and filters are cheap, engine components are expensive to repair/replace.

Dave.

I was at the dealer today to pick up an oil filter for my R12RT and had brought along my R1150GS oil filter change tool (for lack of a better name.

I was told (and checked !) that the older 1150 oil filter changer did not fit on the newer 1200 oil filter can.

OK so far ?

I asked if they had the newer model in stock and was expecting to pay the same as I had for my 1150 changer, roughly $30 Cdn.

The clerk opened up the plastic bag to show me the newer model and told me the price was $110 Cdn (+ taxes = $125)

for an oil filter wrench !!!!!!!!!

I was shocked, to say the least. What a rip off......

BMW charging that much for a tool that did not really need to be changed over from the older model.

dopeslap.gif

There are a lot of clones out there now for the gold plated (or at least it should be) BMW filter wrench for the hexheads' filter. Look in most any BMW bike magazine or catalog for ads for them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the old filter will fit the hexheads. They didn't change the seating point to the block.

I just used a standard strap oil filter tool I had laying around to pull off my oil filter. Now I use K&N filters for the simple reason that they put a nut on "top" of their filters and they make very decent filters to boot...

With that said, if you want to stick with the BMW filters, there are "clones" of the wrench out there that sell for much less.

I change my oil and the filter every 5,000 km, regardless. Oil and filters are cheap, engine components are expensive to repair/replace.

Dave.

I suspect that oil analysis would confirm that your oil still has plenty of life left at that mileage, and you are therefore wasting money. Consider sending off a sample to find out.

Jay

Got a part number for the K&N?
K&N has a great part finder on their web site. However, the part number for an r12st (and by extension any r12 hexhead I believe) is kn-164. I special ordered it from my local Auto Zone (took 2 days), but there are lots of places to get them.

Much easier for me than going to the dealer...

Auto Zone - 4 blocks away

Dealer - 65 miles

"Local" independant BMW Mechanic - 50 miles.

Archived