IGNORED

do all aftermarket seats require a rain cover?

NoHeat

I have had two RM leather seats and never used a rain cover. If it gets a little wet, it'll dry. If it really get soaked, I take it off and stand it on end inside the house until it is dry. Works for me.

Never used one in decades of bikes and different materials. Including with heated seats. Rarely ever even see one on rows of bikes parked in the rain. Basically I think it's a non-issue. When the sun comes out, it'll dry.

If it's leather, you need a rain cover. Your seat is not going to get ruined if it gets wet, but it's much better if it doesn't. Even vinyl ones might need a cover if they have seams, depending where the seams are and how much it rains.

I have a leather Sargent and leather Corbin on my 2 bikes, and all I do for rain protection is to carry a thick (3 mil) garbage bag. As a comment, my leather Sargent wrinkled after only ONE rain episode (driving rain under the roof of a hotel), even when leather was conditioned to death.

The Russell Day-Long seats have a metal spring(s), they suggested a seat cover would also protect the spring from rust.

I also cover the seat on really hot days, not necessarily with the waterproof cover. I hate sitting on a hot seat.

I have a leather Rocky Mayer on the S. I put conditioner on it every 3 months or so. If it gets wet, it beads off well. No worries. It gets wet when I get caught in the rain. I'm not about to pull over to put a bag on my seat. dopeslap.gif You shouldn't have to unless you have some decoritive stiching in the seat. The only thing I carry a rain cover for is the tank bag.

Same here...been caught in the rain with my Corbin many times. Don't even own or need a cover. Just treat it with a good conditioner, like Lexol occasionally, and it'll be fine.

Archived