IGNORED

K1200RS or K1200GT or FJR1300?

Mike T

Hello K bikers. I'm thinking of moving over to your side. I currently have a '95 R1100RS and I'm looking for something that has the good handling of the RS but more comfort on long trips. I'm good for about 200 miles on the R1000RS before I'm worn out. I'm also tired of the constant tinkering involved with the R engine to keep surging and vibrations down.

Also, can you recommend any other K websites where I can get a feel for the problems to look for in purchasing a used K bike. I'm thinking of a 2002 to 2004 vintage. Thanks in advance for you input. Sorry for posting this in the wrenching section but it seemed like the best spot to get input from. Thanks.

Hello K bikers. I'm thinking of moving over to your side. I currently have a '95 R1100RS and I'm looking for something that has the good handling of the RS but more comfort on long trips. I'm good for about 200 miles on the R1000RS before I'm worn out. I'm also tired of the constant tinkering involved with the R engine to keep surging and vibrations down.

Also, can you recommend any other K websites where I can get a feel for the problems to look for in purchasing a used K bike. I'm thinking of a 2002 to 2004 vintage. Thanks in advance for you input. Sorry for posting this in the wrenching section but it seemed like the best spot to get input from. Thanks.

Hey Mike, no experience here with any of the bikes you mention but I can suggest you may go and pick up a copy of Bike magazine from Barnes and Noble.

The October issue has a a good comparative review of the FJR13AE, the K12GT, the ST1300 and the 12RT... might give you some good info on the GT and FJR comparisons.

Hi Mike:

Check out www.k-bikes.com. Good site, good info.

Inasfaras which of the three bikes you should choose I'd first start by reading the comparisons that were recently published (see above post).

I can tell you what our experiences have been with the 2001 KRS and the 2005 FJR that we own. Since my husband rides both of these here are his opinions.

In short, the KRS has a heavy front end and the FJR is more fun to ride. The FJR throws up a little more heat so the KRS has become the hot weather bike. The quality of the FJR bodywork is not as nice as the KRS although, for the money, the FJR is a bigger bang for your buck! If we had to make a choice between the FJR and the KRS......it would be hard.....but the FJR would probably win. The sidecases are bigger, service is less expensive, the stock lighting is better, it's got more giddy-yap and a larger capacity gas tank and .....most importantly....it's easier and more fun to ride. That dang KRS silver/blue is so beautiful though!!!!

The seating position on the FJR is a little less lean forward than the KRS.

I've heard they have fixed the heat issue with the new model FJR so it's a bike to seriously consider.

Mike

I currently ride a '04 K1200RS. Normal day is in excess of 500mi. with a couple of Saddle Sore 1000's thrown in. The only thing that has to be done to these bikes is replace the stock seat(butt on fire after 300mi.). I use a Sargent seat and Alaska Leather butt pad, but there are other choices out there.

I have put 27,600mi. on this bike in 14 months and the only problem has been a failed fuel line quick disconnect.

So far (knock wood) the bike is bulletproof, a lot of maintenance, but still bulletproof.

The KRS can cruise at any speed you wish all day long. Turn on the cruise control and just let it do it's thing. And all the while being pretty good in the twisties(it ain't no R1).

My only changes for winter riding is: change windscreen to a GT screen and adding handguards from the european parts catalog(may be no longer available).

ps. Check out www.k-bikes.com or i-BMW.com for other K-bike sites

Thanks to everyone for the quick and insightful responses. I went out and purchased Bike (an excellent magazine)and read the test drive article. Looks like a test ride on the R1200RT will be added to the agenda. K-Bike.com is also a very good Site that I will be exploring. Again, thanks.

I've been riding kbikes for eleven years now and am computer illiterate. So I'am replying in order to ask a question. How do you drain the engine oil in the new K motor. I just bought a new GT, and need some pointers. Krunch

Mike

Glad to hear you are adding the R12RT to your list. My first BMW was a 93 K11RS which I rode for 11 years. I love the smoothness of the K engine. A mountain mishap in the Sierra's claimed my K bike 2 years ago. I now have an 05 RT which is a fantastic bike. It does everything well IMHO. I have not ridden a bike this much in 12 years so please give one a test ride. It will be worth your time and may just surprise you. One 5-10 mile test ride and I was sold.

Thanks to everyone for the quick and insightful responses. I went out and purchased Bike (an excellent magazine)and read the test drive article. Looks like a test ride on the R1200RT will be added to the agenda. K-Bike.com is also a very good Site that I will be exploring. Again, thanks.

Yeah, definitely add the R1200RT to your list. I came from a 2003 K1200GT to a 2006 R1200RT, and you will really notice the difference in weight and handling between these two bikes. I think the R12RT is more agile, probably due to the lack of weight on the front end. I love the R1200RT, but there's no doubting the smoothness of the K motor.

Can't comment on the FJR, but I hear they are real fun machines.

Dave.

You do not want the make the change since you will never get that smile off your face.

Best decision I made was switching to a k1200rs from r1100rt.

Thanks again for the feedback. I found a used 2006 R1200RT on line that lists "an extra low seat". It looks like a BMW seat. Is this an option offered by BMW? I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Any idea if this seat would be too low for me? (The bike is not near by so I can't just go an try it out). Thanks.

Hold on just a minute. Don't skip the 1200RT. I traded an 02 1150RS on an 06 FJR. No offense to Whip, but there is a reason the FJR is 12.5k compared to any BMW. I have 5k mi on my FJR and just rode an 06 RT. The FJR is being traded on a new 07 RT. I also had a 97 RT that I put 48k mi on for comparison. The 07RT is way better than a 97. The only thing that the FJR has on the RT is MOTOR. And only above 100mph. Give the RT a try and definitely RIDE the FJR before you make a decision.

My .02 worth.

Don

Thanks again for the feedback. I found a used 2006 R1200RT on line that lists "an extra low seat". It looks like a BMW seat. Is this an option offered by BMW? I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Any idea if this seat would be too low for me? (The bike is not near by so I can't just go an try it out). Thanks.

BMW does make a low seat. Don't know about an 'extra low' though.

I have the same inseam and rode with the low seat. Very easy to flat foot. But it starts to get a little cramped on long trips.

I would suspect the regular seat in the low position would be a bit more comfortable and still able to flat foot.

Archived