IGNORED

Stebel Compact Nautilus Air Horn on 2004 RT

moshe_levy

Thanks to all who recommended this product to me. I just had the 24k Service done, and while the tupperware was off, I had them replace the stock Bosch horn with this little Italian beauty - what a difference in volume and clarity it made! And best of all, it fit easily, with no clearance or wiring issues. Definitely a worthwhile improvement for commuters! Here's a picture of it before installation - http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rt/stebel.jpg It's very, very small - and totally self contained.

-MKL

I am surprised that you need more horn on the 04 RT, mine is very loud with the factory horns. I bought a Steibel for my scooter, it's a great attention getter. thumbsup.gif

Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the install with the tupperware off, but just picture where the stock horn mounts on the left side (driver's perspective) and the Stebel fits right there. I had dual Bosch horns, actually. I removed the left one to mount the Stebel in its place, and disconnected the right one.

Yes, the stock Bosch setup on the '04 isn't bad, but I need all the help I can get. I commute 103 miles daily on the NJ Turnpike. If you've ever been on that mess in rush hour, you know what I mean!

-MKL

Twisted Throttle has em too, think I paid $30 or so. Put it on my VStrom. Have a Fiamm to put on the RT next time the plastic is off. Had it for some time. Stebel works like a champ!

A question... are these horns a fairly hi pitch compared to the stock horns on a 04 r1150rt? I have been looking for a certain dual hi pitch horn for a long time. The only way to decsribe it would be to compare it to the rescue vehicles in Europe...but it is still a higher pitch than those. I heard this horn on Fiat 128 spider some years ago. I'm not sure if its stock or not. Any place on line that has wave files to demonstrate the horn sounds available? I know that Fiat is long gone by now! Wisconsin winters have been know to dissolve just about any vehicle from the early 60-70s. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Jeff and Jack

Moshe:

Thanks for posting! I installed one of these on my R1100R about amonth ago, and believe me, it gets their attention.

Here's a mediocre photo of my installation:

AirHOrn_9.jpg

The electrical part of the job was actually fun! I would recommend this upgrade to anyone...especially to commuters like me!

Twisted Throttle has em too, think I paid $30 or so. Put it on my VStrom. Have a Fiamm to put on the RT next time the plastic is off. Had it for some time. Stebel works like a champ!

Twisted Throttle has them for $36 but then wanted $13 for S&H. What a rip off.

I have no idea where else they are available, that was just a suggestion. Look elsewhere for the Stebel or other options. Good luck. If I remember correctly I got mine from TT but it was included with some bags or other items. Actually, if you have a Harbor Freight nearby they have the identical horn called something else. Might try there.

Are you using an extra relay for the Stebel horn installation? I have a 2002 1150 RT with dual horns. I will most likely pull both of them and install one Stebel air horn in one of the stock locations. Will the stock switch and wiring handle the load or is the relay needed?

Thanks, Stephen

I used the relay for installation on my VStrom. The schematic that came with the horn is so dang small I enlarged it several fold on a copy machine. Pretty straight forward install actually. The horn comes with the realy, or mine did at least. Why risk frying the horn button when a couple minutes to install the relay eliminates the concern. dopeslap.gif

Good luck.

Jerry Johnston
I have no idea where else they are available, accually, if you have a Harbor Freight nearby they have the identical horn called something else. Might try there.

HF calls it a Wolo Bad Boy - I think it was $39.95

I used the relay for installation on my VStrom. The schematic that came with the horn is so dang small I enlarged it several fold on a copy machine. Pretty straight forward install actually. The horn comes with the realy, or mine did at least. Why risk frying the horn button when a couple minutes to install the relay eliminates the concern. dopeslap.gif

Good luck.

I don't know about the VStrom so in that case it might be necessary, but my RS and I believe all the BMW's currently come with a horn relay so the button shouldn't fry. I run dual Fiamms highway blasters with the stock setup, works fine.

Jerry,

I just bought a large air compressor from HF. I don't trust those guys as far as I can throw 'em. Tried to put the hard sell on me for a "maintenance contract". They said that there was only a 30 day in store guarantee. You got to be kidding if I'm going to pay to ship a large air compressor back to California to them for 12 month warranty repairs. I said "If it breaks just after the 30 days then I got screwed by buying a piece of junk."

My point is how do we know that their horn is the genuine Stebel Italian version? I'm thinking copycat version made in China like most of the items in the store. They did have genuine Goodyear air compressor hose to my amazement.

Got to get one of those horns.

Bruce smile.gif

I installed one on my 2000 RT and I looooooove it.

Simple to install, I just removed the stock unit, left the bracket on and used it to mount the new Stiebel. Used the same wires as well, no relay, as the draw is the same - or very cloae.

A 'must have' as far as I am concerned.

Jerry Johnston

Hey, if you buy a compressor from HF you probably need a warranty (and then some). grin.gif

I bought the horn - just noticed it is on sale for $35. I haven't used it yet so I can't tell you if the quality is the same as their normal China stuff but for the price I chanced it. Some of their items are ok but it pays to be educated on the product so you know where to look for weaknesses. Some have cheap bearings and accuracy isn't their strong trait.

Archived