IGNORED

Can you mix oils?

Penrod

Just had my last (I hope) dealer service. Changed the oil to BMW Synthetic, changed trans fluid to Red Line heavy shockproof (which I supplied) and inspect two issues before the warranty runs out in December. $142!!!! Do they really get $16 a quart for syn oil? So when she needs some oil added (still breaking in I am told and some oil consumption is normal) can I add Mobil 1 or must I keep it pure with the BMW syn?

Just had my last (I hope) dealer service. Changed the oil to BMW Synthetic, changed trans fluid to Red Line heavy shockproof (which I supplied) and inspect two issues before the warranty runs out in December. $142!!!! Do they really get $16 a quart for syn oil? So when she needs some oil added (still breaking in I am told and some oil consumption is normal) can I add Mobil 1 or must I keep it pure with the BMW syn?

You can freely mix any motor oils meeting the spec for your engine, synthetic or dino.

Andy

You'll be OK with any oil of the correct viscosity. If you are using the BMW SSEO, it is formulated by Valvoline so if you can find a Valvoline synthetic it should be an almost exact match.

I would just use Mobil-1 15-50.

Mick

Tucson

Penrod, most MAJOR motor oil's are tested to be compatible with their competitors similar oil types, but keep in mind not ALL motor oil is tested against ALL other motor oils..

The above being said, it really isn’t a good idea to mix oil brands or types.. The actual oil in the product will more than likely match up just fine but it’s the additive packages that might have some shortcomings with regards to mixing & functioning as intended.. If you do mix the oils your motor won’t come to a screeching halt but you could lose some performance on the additive package in the oil mix.. Most oil companies allow oil mixing between their product & other like products but in most cases don’t recommend it.. Personally I won’t mix oil brands or types unless I am about ready for the next oil change..

Twisty

Archived