IGNORED

Oil Filters

spacecadetdave

spacecadetdave

I purchased a box of oil filters from Boneyard. These are Bosch filters. I gave 2 to my brother who also has a R1100RT. He had questions about these filters and if they were capible for the BMW. He talked to a Bosch rep who said they don't make filters for the R1100RT? My question is ,is it safe to use these filters. I remeber something about the bypass valve in the aftermarket filters not the same as the OEM? Who actually makes BMW filters? confused.gif

If an oil filter fits, you can use it.

The one thing that differs about the OEM filter and all other filters is that OEM filter lacks an anti-flowback valve. This valve is unnecessary, because of the filter position in an R engine, but it does no harm if it is present.

Search the site for "oil filter" or "oil filters" and you'll learn more. You'll find a long list of filters that fit, and links to sites where people have cut open filters and discussed the quality of the internal construction.

Some of these threads:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/751220/an//page/0/vc/1

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/751878/an//page/0/vc/1

spacecadetdave

I have the same Bosch 72161 filters. I guess I'll use them. I don't understand when you call the manufacture they give you a bunch of B.S. Sounds like work. thumbsup.gif

I did some research with MANN filters http://www.mann-hummel.com/

who makes filters for both the BMW motorcycle and also cars.

Their selection for an oilhead is an MW712, the auto version that fits a Saab, which is one of the interchangeble filters is and MW712-38 (this filter interchanges with the other oilhead interchange filters listed so many times before). Physical dimentions are the same for both filters.

The primary difference is the motorycle filter bypass valve is 2.5 bar and the automotive version is 1.0 bar and the auto filter has the anti drainback valve.

I have a combined mileage of 130000 miles on 2 RTs and have always used whatever filter brand I found that would fit a Dodge Neon. I don't buy the cheapest filter, but I don't spend More than about $5 either. Then there is the oil............never mind, no time for that one grin.gif

I have a combined mileage of 130000 miles on 2 RTs and have always used whatever filter brand I found that would fit a Dodge Neon. I don't buy the cheapest filter, but I don't spend More than about $5 either. Then there is the oil............never mind, no time for that one grin.gif

I never said they wouldn't work, I use the interchange list as well. The same filter that fits a neon fits a saturn and last generatoin saabs and others. Someone was wanting to know the differences and the basic difference I see is a change in the relive valve setting. I don't know what the highest oil pressure is in the oilhead engine so can't say whether or not the pressure setting matters a lot during usual operation but I would hope that it is less than 1 bar (14.5 psi) in the filter so that the valve is not open all the time.

has anyone used the Amsoil filters? $15.00 seemed steep to me, but maybe they are better.? confused.gif
Better for Amsoil. grin.gif

Better for Amsoil and for their MLM dealers.

Not necessarily better for the end user. MLM's gotta mark the price up a lot for commissions.

There are only so many makers of oil filters. Amsoil's are said to be made by Baldwin.

Here's what's inside an Amsoil filter (nothing wrong with it, BTW):

amsoil109open.jpg

Archived