IGNORED

BMW,NA...Customer Service....Oxymoron....may I vent?

gnuse

First, thanks for allowing me to express some facts, some expectations, and some opinions. Feedback welcomed.

I suppose one must expect the world has changed since they started riding 45 years ago (only owned bikes for 33years). I am competent at maintaining my bikes at the level an owner was expected to be able to back when I started riding. Now I will tell my story.

Today I noticed I had a small nail in the rear tire of my R1150RT. Murphy's Law got me, as I had an appointment to install new tires tomorrow. So I get ready to take off the rear tire and take it to have the new rear tire installed. As it is the first time I had done this I took out the owner's manual to see if there were any items I needed and was that a surprise. There is no mention of what to do in case of a flat. Ok, I have a shop manual, but that is going a bit far, I am just trying to fix a flat tire, not rebuild something.

I notice the presence of Torx bolts and the one's on the caliper are between the sizes that I have. I mistakedly assumed that someone at BMW could point me in the right direction or simply tell me what I needed to change the tire/remove it from the bike. Boy, was I ever mistaken. I spoke to a couple of people in customer service at BMW,NA and they all expressed that NO ONE there could answer any of my questions. I told them they I would have expected to find flat tire instructions in the owner's manual.....silence on the other end. Surely there must be someone with some technical/mechanical experience there........silence.

Now this is where I would like to hear other's opinions. They told me to call BMW Roadside Assistance. I said I had a simple flat, I didn't need the bike picked up and taken to a dealer. I thought, what if I was in the middle of nowhere and this happened. Then they said the only people that know the answers about things like I wanted to know were their dealers. I figured a dealer really must enjoy answering questions on behalf of BMW,NA. I called BMW of ATL and the person that answered was very polite, helpful, and knew the answers to my questions. He told me what tools and sizes were needed, etc. Even the shop manual didn't tell me those answers.

Ok, some am I to understand that they really just need a really small owner's manual. One with page after page of liability issues and the 800 number for roadside assistance.

Thanks for listening. My next bike purchase will include a look at the owner's manual to see if the owner gets to participate in taking care of his motorcycle. dopeslap.gif

My R1150RT came with two manuals, the riders manual and a maintenance manual. The latter has six pages of instructions on the removal and refitting of the rear wheel. The standard toolkit includes the correct size Torx key and a wheel-nut wrench.

On the hexheads the toolkit has become an option - a stupid decision in my opinion - but is still available.

The maintenance manual is the one you get your dealer stamps in and has all the technical information in it.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Today I noticed I had a small nail in the rear tire of my R1150RT. Murphy's Law got me, as I had an appointment to install new tires tomorrow. So I get ready to take off the rear tire and take it to have the new rear tire installed. As it is the first time I had done this I took out the owner's manual to see if there were any items I needed and was that a surprise. There is no mention of what to do in case of a flat.

I see 3 choices:

1. Just remove the rear wheel and take it to the dealer given that you had a tire appointment anyway.

2. If after 45 years of riding, you don't know what to do with a flat, I strongly encourage you to call BMW Roadside Assistance. lmao.gif

3. You already did that. It's called whining. bncry.gif

I reread your post and still don't understand your gripe.

Now this is where I would like to hear other's opinions. They told me to call BMW Roadside Assistance. I said I had a simple flat, I didn't need the bike picked up and taken to a dealer. I thought, what if I was in the middle of nowhere and this happened. Then they said the only people that know the answers about things like I wanted to know were their dealers. I figured a dealer really must enjoy answering questions on behalf of BMW,NA. I called BMW of ATL and the person that answered was very polite, helpful, and knew the answers to my questions. He told me what tools and sizes were needed, etc. Even the shop manual didn't tell me those answers.

Well, seems to me dealer provided you with the necessary information; moreover, given dealer's polite manner, I hazard to guess that, yes, dealers do enjoy answering [appropriate] questions on behalf of BMW NA. BMW North American Customer Service personnel aren't mechanics; rather, they're more like arbitrators between consumer (that's you and me) and dealer should disagreement occur on warrenty claim, for example. So, I really don't think you were misinformed, only redirected to the appropriate information source, i.e., dealer.

BTW, regarding your "next day appointment" for tire change, were you going to ride bike in (if so, nail in tire problem could have been solved via three dollar tire plug kit) or were you planning all along to remove front and rear wheels and bring those items to dealer ?

Sincerely, I'm happy you got the needed info from the dealer; that's what they're there for.

Wooster

Well personal feedback (and you did ask for feedback) I think it's expecting a bit much to expect BMWNA to provide mechanical advice. Of any sort. Even for a little old wheel removal. Think of the liability Pandora's box it would open up. You wouldn't expect to be able to call Ford's 800 customer assistance number and get how-to advice would you? Well maybe you would, but it would likely be out of their mission scope too.

My R1150RT came with two manuals, the riders manual and a maintenance manual. The latter has six pages of instructions on the removal and refitting of the rear wheel. The standard toolkit includes the correct size Torx key and a wheel-nut wrench.

Even the "US Model" version of this manual includes this info. I just had a look at mine. The only catch might be that in the heat of the moment you might not look under "Wheel Removal" when you're thinking about dealing with your "Tire".

Today I noticed I had a small nail in the rear tire of my R1150RT. Murphy's Law got me, as I had an appointment to install new tires tomorrow. So I get ready to take off the rear tire and take it to have the new rear tire installed. As it is the first time I had done this I took out the owner's manual to see if there were any items I needed and was that a surprise. There is no mention of what to do in case of a flat.

I see 3 choices:

1. Just remove the rear wheel and take it to the dealer given that you had a tire appointment anyway.

2. If after 45 years of riding, you don't know what to do with a flat, I strongly encourage you to call BMW Roadside Assistance. lmao.gif

3. You already did that. It's called whining. bncry.gif

I reread your post and still don't understand your gripe.

"Whining", I think you missed the point AviP, no, I know you missed it. I do appreciate the others that have helped however.

My bike did not come with a maintence manual, I only know of BMW Roadside Assistance from its being mentioned on this website, and BMW of ATL isn't a dealer I have ever been to for service, etc., but they certainly helped.

I had only hoped that someone at BMW could tell me the size Torx for the calipers, I didn't think that was expecting too much. They didn't ask me if I had read my "Maintence Manual" , if they had I would probably have requested one. The three people I talked to were mostly interested in giving the roadservice telephone number.

Yes I did ask for feedback and without it I guess I wouldn't have known of the "maintence manual". I do appreciate the others that have helped however. Thanks, that's why I appreciate this forum. eek.gif

from what i have heard about bmwna, from this board and others with personal knowledge, i wouldn't expect helpful answers to any harder questions either.

the dealer is always the first place to start in the bmw world. since there are so few, you would be well served to develop a good relationship with one if it is possible due to your location and whether you like visiting their shop or not. when we had a dealer, i was always able to talk to the shop foreman from my driveway if i had a problem or could not figure out how to put something back together.

good luck.

tom collins

The last time I called BMWNA to talk to the person helping me in a dealer dispute, I was told he no longer worked there. I asked whom I was talking to and it was a fellow in Columbus,Ohio in the offices of BMW Financial Services. I was surprised that the BMWNA Customer Relations number was re-directed to that location. There all they would do is take a quick statement and contact number. I doubt after speaking to this fellow, he owned a motorcycle let alone ever worked on one and he didn't have any idea where or what happened to the paperwork of my complaint. Apparently BMWNA keeps cutting back on personel.

Rich06FJR1300

yeah, i would have to agree, never call BMW NA for technical assistance. They're clueless and probably don't even know what a motorcycle is...ok, ok, maybe they do. You need a mechanic and there are none there. And yes, you are expecting too much.

Thanks for listening. My next bike purchase will include a look at the owner's manual to see if the owner gets to participate in taking care of his motorcycle.

--------------------

1964 Honda 305 Dream

1970 Triumph TR6C

1979 Honda CBX

1981 Ducati Hailwood Replica

2004 BMW R1150RT

2005 HD Road King Classic

I'am sorry I just can't help it but: You mean to tell me that someone who has a Triumph, a Ducati, and a Hardly Ableson can't get the rear wheel off a Beemer? ;>) dopeslap.gif

Cheers

Steve

Thanks again to the group. Made another call to BMW,NA. I got a really helpful fellow on the phone that didn't know the answer to my question but he asked to put me on hold and he went and got the answer. He informed me of my warranty, etc. I now have somewhat renewed faith except I am not sure if anyone there actually is a "bike person". smile.gif

This fellow, Tony, works for Richard Kenton that I had heard good things about on another forum. Apparently Richard and his troops are trying to change things there for the better.

A huge deal is being made out of BMWNA not being the right place to get direction on how to change a tire. Or what size torx is needed. If I have 2 sizes, one of which is too big, one too small, then ......let's see.....hummmm, I know, I'll get the inbetweener! Eureka!

Good grief! Indeed, it does appear a call to roadside is appropriate after all.

Gnuse: Finish filling out your bio with what year 1150RT you ride, area of country, etc. All that might come in handy when people are trying to help you answer a question on your bike. I was lucky enough to have joined this group by the time I got a nail in the relatively new rear tire on my '98 R1100RT. Since the front was at 50%, I ordered 2 brand new Metzeler ME 880's for it, and got advice on how to take off both the tires with the bike on the centerstand (strapped down) and everything went smooth. Do yourself a favor and go down to Sears and pick up a set of Torx- head sockets. It's easy to get frustrated- patience will be needed to deal with these German beasts.

Archived