IGNORED

oil leak

fossil

2004 1150 RT with 15K miles has developed an oil leak that when looking up under the bike I see a small drip forming on the bottom of the inside edge of the bracket that the traverse arm is attached to. Nothing wet forward of that point. The trailing area along the drive shaft houseing is not wet, but getting nasty from the dirt collection. I'm 3k away from the interval check so should I wait or park it until I can get it in the shop?

I see 3 vent tubes paired together nearby but they are dry. Is the breather tube located above the point I'm talking about? I would need to pull off the side panel to see but wondered about the connection between the drive shaft housing and the transmission.

Fossil,

Maybe I have the wrong picture in (what's left of eek.gif) my mind...

Is this drip at the lower (rear diff) end of the drive shaft assembly and not the top part adjacent to the breather tubes?

That was a bad location description. The drips are forming on the traverse arm connection where it is attached to the bike frame. The three vent hoses nearby are dry. I thought at first it was coming from the bottom of the boot where the drive shaft housing attaches to the final drive. But following the oil and dirt trail forward it leads to this point. The snake in the grass that I overlooked on the first look was the oil contamination of my rear disk rotor. So regardless of where it's coming from I can't continue drive it with half my brakes. Would appreciate your ideas but it is just a used junker to train on. I've got my trusty VTX to drive.

" Would appreciate your ideas but it is just a used junker to train on. I've got my trusty VTX to drive"

Yeah, I know the feeling. I learned to drive a Viper so I would be prepared for my lifelong dream car, a Vega confused.gif

Before we get all nervous...let's check the silly ones first.....

Does it smell like Hypoid (gearbox) or Engine oil (crankcase breather)?

If Hypoid smell:

1. Any trail leading up to the gearbox breather. Gunk on top of the gearbox, running down the side?

2. Leak from gearbox fill/drain plugs?

Not so silly,

If they are all clean, then it MAY be your output shaft seal eek.gif but wiser minds might chip in here.

Another simple check:

If it is none of the above, Decrud your transmission with Simple Green or the like and clean it all off then check your tranny fluid level. Correct fill is with the bike on the centrestand and it is full when it just starts to trickle out of the fill hole. Now, go out for a nice warmup ride and then come back to see if you still have a leak.

Again, smell the oil on your rotor, hypoid has that distinct STINK!

Starting from the basics.. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for reply Phil, Nice organized approach to problem solving. Get back in couple days. To much of a wimp to drive in the rain on purpose for the test drive.

Hey Fossil...you are in TEXAS darn it grin.gif!!!

Rain is a gift..you should be enjoying it wink.gif!!

If I knew I wouldn't get arrested, I would jump on Darth nekkid and ride around in the stuff wink.gif: but, then again, that nekkid stuff is getting into H-D rider territory eek.gif.

Where's Whip when you need him....?

PHIL, Your diagnosis plan worked out well. It is transmission fluid leaking out of the boot between the drive shaft housing and the transmission output. (at 15K! you gotta be kidding). I’m grateful for this early experience and to the others submitting problems encountered with these machines. I bought this bike in May one day after completing the safety course because that was the advice from others. Buy something used to learn on. Having no preconceived notion as to reliability I can see where a person could fall in love with these machines but BMW motorcycles are about status, glitz and glamour, not reliability. I think that reliability sells and that is one of the reasons why BMW sits lower in the market share. Anyway, I’m snake bit. An important step has been taken with my mind being made up. It’s time to cut my losses, dump the bitch and move on to something that doesn’t drip oil on my garage floor or begin my day with a new maintenance issue. I just want to ride.

It’s time to cut my losses, dump the bitch and move on to something that doesn’t drip oil on my garage floor or begin my day with a new maintenance issue.
Seems a bit extreme isn't it? If you like the way the bike rides, your '04 is under warranty, so have the dealer replace the transmission output shaft seal and forget it ever happened.

Nothing's perfect. Don't through out the baby with the bath water so to speak.

.....but BMW motorcycles are about status, glitz and glamour, not reliability. I think that reliability sells and that is one of the reasons why BMW sits lower in the market share.

You have got to be kidding in this statement, right? You will find high mileage bikes in all brands but I will bet you just about anything you care to wager that none will be as high mileage as BMW. Glitz and status!? Perhaps you are thinking of helping Willie G? Post on the boards a question by brand how many miles owners have ridden their bikes and you will get blown away by BMW mileage, non will in toto come close. Gheez. wink.gif

Damn,

Glad to have been of help but sorry to hear about that....

If it is JUST the seal, then not really a BAD thing just a PITA. If your bike is an 04/04 and not an 03/04 (if you know what I mean), get this checked out and use your warranty. So get to your dealer ASAP!!

Please...don't give up on Beamers! Brown stuff do happen sometimes and it happens to all makes... frown.gif

Would appreciate your ideas but it is just a used junker to train on.

Hey Fossil. If a 2005 1150 RT with 15K on the clock is "a used junker to train on", keep me in mind next time you want someone to haul away one of your junkers for you.

.....but BMW motorcycles are about status, glitz and glamour, not reliability. I think that reliability sells and that is one of the reasons why BMW sits lower in the market share.

You have got to be kidding in this statement, right? You will find high mileage bikes in all brands but I will bet you just about anything you care to wager that none will be as high mileage as BMW. Glitz and status!? Perhaps you are thinking of helping Willie G? Post on the boards a question by brand how many miles owners have ridden their bikes and you will get blown away by BMW mileage, non will in toto come close. Gheez. wink.gif

Well said my friend. I have been riding for 33 years and have NEVER had a bike like my RT. Only bike, or car for that matter, that I liked enough to put 26,000 miles on in just 16 months! Great bike even if it is just an old junker. I'm hoping to get in a few more miles of learning before my moped gets out of the shop. grin.gif

Would appreciate your ideas but it is just a used junker to train on.

Hey Fossil. If a 2005 1150 RT with 15K on the clock is "a used junker to train on", keep me in mind next time you want someone to haul away one of your junkers for you.

grin.giflmao.gif

Archived