IGNORED

Two PTTs for Autocoms

Yankee_Dog

I was all ready to pull the trigger on a new Autocom set. I am talking to the nice lady at Autocom and I inquire about a 2nd PTT button for the missus. Well, it seems that Autocom is not set up to allow a 2nd PTT button. If the passenger wants to talk on the radio the driver has to push the button.

This is not a good thing. We have found it very convient for her to have her own PTT. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Such as knowing how to hook up a 2nd PTT for the Autocom. I can't believe that Motocom can do it for $150 and Autocom can't do it for $500.

I have been using a Motocom Audioboss for a couple of year now. The Motocom functions really well and does everything I need. The problem is one of reliability. One thing or another is continually going wrong. So the missus said she was sick of it and wanted something better. So enters Autocom the purported king of motorcycle communications.

Yankee Dog

Rocket_Cowboy

The difference that I've seen is that the Autocom's PTT switch is inline between the Autocom unit and the radio, where other manufacturers have had a separate input to their unit just for the PTT (and another dedicated input for the radio).

The Autocom PTT has a 3 position toggle switch, so you potentially could go straight off VOX, but as far as wiring two PTTS in parallel ... I don't know of a way that this will work.

The Autocom PTT switch is a button, but it also incorporates a 3-position toggle. When the toggle switch is to the left, the mic is open. Everything broadcasts. When the switch is in the middle position, this is your privacy mode. You can hold conversations with your passenger and nothing broadcasts unless you press the PTT switch. And when the toggle is to the right, you're on VOX. Speak and your voice is broadcast.

The simplicity of this system is cleaner wiring, plus the option to simply put the switch into the left or right position for extended B2B conversations. With a dedicated PTT (only) switch, you have to keep pressing the button to communicate. Imagine the hassle if you're trying to ride a twisty road while holding a conversation, or if you're on the highway and the conversation gets long. Push, release, push, release, push, release, for mile after mile. With the Autocom switch you flip it onto VOX and you can converse while the rest of you concentrates on safely guiding your bike or on being an attentive passenger.

While it would be strictly outside of Autocom officialdom, knowing how the PTT works, I can't think of a reason why someone handy couldn't build a Y-cable that would allow two of them.

If it was a simple PTT I believe it would be easy. However the left/right toggle gizmo makes it a bit more complicated. I really want this option and I am hesitant to buy the Autocom without it. It allows the missus to do the bike to bike comms while I concentrate on keeping the shiny side up.

Yankee Dog

I took apart an autocom PTT...

The only only hard thing about the PTT is that IIRC the button is NC (normally closed) not NO (normamlly open). That means if you add a button for the passenger it must be serial to the driver button not parallel.

The Autocom PTT switch is a button, but it also incorporates a 3-position toggle. When the toggle switch is to the left, the mic is open. Everything broadcasts. When the switch is in the middle position, this is your privacy mode. You can hold conversations with your passenger and nothing broadcasts unless you press the PTT switch. And when the toggle is to the right, you're on VOX. Speak and your voice is broadcast.

Whilst bowing to Ferando's knowledge I question this last part of his statement. I have an AVi Autocom system and before that a Pro1 system both with the PTT for B2B comms which I've been using with a riding buddy for the last few years. The switch mentioned operates (at least on my 2 systems) in the manner described APART from if the swith is pushed to the right and then you are on continuous broadcast and you cannot receive any incoming transmittions.

Maybe my PTT and radios work differently?

Whilst bowing to Ferando's knowledge I question this last part of his statement. I have an AVi Autocom system and before that a Pro1 system both with the PTT for B2B comms which I've been using with a riding buddy for the last few years. The switch mentioned operates (at least on my 2 systems) in the manner described APART from if the swith is pushed to the right and then you are on continuous broadcast and you cannot receive any incoming transmittions.

Maybe my PTT and radios work differently?

Depends upon if your B2B radio duplexes or not. I.e. - Can it transmit and receive at the same time? Some can, some can't. If it is a duplexing radio Frenando's description is correct. But does or doesn't is a function of the radio, not the PTT or the Autocom.
If it was a simple PTT I believe it would be easy. However the left/right toggle gizmo makes it a bit more complicated. I really want this option and I am hesitant to buy the Autocom without it. It allows the missus to do the bike to bike comms while I concentrate on keeping the shiny side up.

If it's just a matter of her having the controls, why not route the PTT switch to her end of the bike? And if you want to have a long conversation with another bike, she can just flip the switch to VOX which would free both of you up to speak and listen at will. Plus, it'll be one less thing cluttering your handlebar.

Archived