IGNORED

Cam Chain Tensioner?

Shawnee Bill

I am in the process of changing the head gasket on my '95 R1100R.

I came the part where it says "remove the camchain tensioners". This is fine but just where is the left side one???

The book shows a picture of the right side but not the left side, so here is a picture I just took of what I think is the left side tensioner. In the red circle underneath the Telelever pivot.

If that is it, will it come out with the Telelever in place???

Or is it somewhere else completely? confused.gif

104880506-L.jpg

Bill it's the top one.. This link should pretty well expalin the procedure..

Tensioner Install

Once you remove that tensioner be very careful to not turn the engine backwards.. I have a friend that turned his engine backwards with the chain tensioner removed & he somehow broke the internal plastic chain guide (engine had to come all the way apart for repair)..

Twisty

Thanks for the photo guide, that's great!

Only trouble is I have already pulled the throttle body off at the "tube clamp that is located next to the cylinder" that you say do not loosen. Is there going to be a problem going back together? It just looked like the logical place to take the throttle body off.

The TB is off, so you are fine......you may need to remove the fuel injector line and stuff to be able to swing the TB up and out of the way. Check out pictorial, it's pretty good.

Don_Eilenberger
The TB is off, so you are fine......you may need to remove the fuel injector line and stuff to be able to swing the TB up and out of the way. Check out pictorial, it's pretty good.
It's actually easier (did this 3 nights ago) to just remove the two screws for the fuel-injector retainer, and wiggle the whole thing out of the throttle-body. And I also took the TB off by loosening the clamp for the rubber mount to the head, can't imagine why anyone would do it otherwise.. Didn't cause any problems and was quite easy to do.

Well, got it all apart, put the new head gasket on, screwed it all back together.

No particular problems and it started right up. Sounds good. Worked slow, 5 hours start to finish, including a dinner break and a break to take that picture, post my question here, wait for an answer and even put all the tools up and wiped the oil up.

Now to ride tomorrow and see if the oil leak is stopped cool.gif

That pictorial on the CamChain Tensioner was a big help, not sure how I would have went about that otherwise.

Bill,

Excellent work!!!! I know you where considering it, but it looks like you decided to dive and you were successful.

Good for you thumbsup.gif

Yep, got'er done in less time that it would have taken to ride to your place and back. I was considering that.

However, that leaves one thing, but now I'm not sure of it's worth, a fuel cell. I thought it might help prevent running out of gas but I'm not so sure......... lmao.gif

Bill,

Excellent work!!!! I know you where considering it, but it looks like you decided to dive and you were successful.

Good for you thumbsup.gif

Yep, got'er done in less time that it would have taken to ride to your place and back. I was considering that.

However, that leaves one thing, but now I'm not sure of it's worth, a fuel cell. I thought it might help prevent running out of gas but I'm not so sure......... lmao.gif

All I can say is that my fuel cell got me farther away from the last gas station before I ran out. That hurt.

I won't tell you how many points/how many miles I got, but my wife saw me cry after I scored myself. bncry.gifbncry.gif

Archived