IGNORED

Which sunglasses?

bobpunter

I've recently bought a System 5 helmet and have found that it sits lower over my eyes than the System 4 did. As a result, my Oakley sunglasses are now squeezed between the helmet and my huge, no sorry, magnificent Roman, nose. After a short time it hurts like hell and I choose to be dazzled on the three days a year in the U.K. when it's sunny. I was wondering which sunglasses other riders wore and if any of you had a similar problem or am I just a freak?

My husband actually took his helmet in to the Sunglass Hut and tried on sunglasses with the helmet.

The salesperson at first seemed baffled, but then realized it made perfect sense.

I have a FogCity HyperOptic insert in my face shield, so I mostly don't need sunglasses, but I bought a pair of "Bobsters" for under my helmet when I was getting ready for a ride to Atlanta, GA this past summer.

They came with three sets of snap in lenses: clear, amber and grey reflective. I really like them.

P

Rayban Daddy-O

Never knew the model name until I was looking for a picture for you. blush.gif

Worn w/ a System 3, and now Schubert C2. Fits pretty well. I haven't been wearing them for a while now (broke one ear-piece), but fixing now.

I would like to suggest Randolph sunglasses. They have been standard issue for Air Force pilots for eons. They are designed to fit with helmets and the lenses are glass, which I think give better optical quality than the plastic sunglasses we are all used to wearing. A pair of Randolphs should last a lifetime unless you lose them.

Randolph Aviation Sunglasses

I've worn Maui Jim shades for years. Just got a new pair with my prescription and love them.

Glass lenses??? My doctor showed me video of a polycarbonate lense deflecting a .22 round. That was good enough for me.

Glass lenses??? My doctor showed me video of a polycarbonate lense deflecting a .22 round. That was good enough for me.
You riding through Caracas or Baghdad? grin.gif
I would like to suggest Randolph sunglasses. They have been standard issue for Air Force pilots for eons. They are designed to fit with helmets and the lenses are glass, which I think give better optical quality than the plastic sunglasses we are all used to wearing. A pair of Randolphs should last a lifetime unless you lose them.

Randolph Aviation Sunglasses

I'd second the Randolphs. Most of the time I wear Serengeti Drivers, which employ a photochromic glass lens, but the Randolphs come in, I believe, three sizes and are specifically designed for wear under a helmet. They're worth a try.

Just a head's up - POLARIZED lenses will produce odd results with LCD displays. Depending upon the device I'm looking at (PDA, GPS, BMW's display, iPod, cell, etc. etc) the results vary from slightly annoying to completely illegible.

Cheers,

Greg

Ditto on the POLARIZED lenses. I've had some big time problems with polarized lenses from rainbows looking though plastic face shields to seeing things in the middle of the lane that were not there. Very Spooky! I just recently found a pair of Ray Ban frames that fit very well under a full face helmet. Plus they even have a bit of a wrap around. Ray Ban #RB3216. These come with no prescription lenses, but I had my bifocal script put in them. Here's a link.

http://ray-ban-sunglasses.peepers.com/products/ray-ban-rb3216-36704.html

Just one more comment:

Look carefully at the lens size, and how/what the temples and nose-piece look like.

1. The wrap-around styles generally provide much better wind and sun protection for the eyes

2. The large temple piece (like on the Rayban Daddy-Os above) can block vision to the side, particularly on head-checks before lane changes. DAMHIK.

3. The nose-pads vs. the molded nose-piece: Compare the Daddy-O vs. the ones Kritou linked. Look for light penetration, as well as wind into the eyes.

4. Nose-pads can be used to adjust the height of the glasses up/down a bit. The molded ones cannot.

Been running Oakley M-Frame for several years now under an HJC then a Shoei helmet with no issues -- even with an XL size head and nose. Picked 'em out at a Sunglass Hut with my helmet in hand (the glasses, not the head and nose). grin.gif

Having grown up on the water I couldn't live without polarized lenses. When riding I'm willing to make allowances for its effect on display screens in exchange for the glare-fighting capabilities.

Archived