IGNORED

R1200RT tires

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

Time to change tires. My original rear BT-020 that came with the R1200RT are toast after less than 5K stick to the road miles. Now it's time to replace them. I browsed around tire sellers and discovered that there are BT-020s and there are BT-020 OEMs. Can someone explain why there are two different classifications, one listed in the charts as OEM, one listed in the charts without the OEM designation, each has the same tread, same size, but different price. Also except for a metric socket set is there any special nuggets of information I should be aware of in removing the rear wheel.

thanks

On bridgestone's site, it says that different tire compounds are used, depending on weight and horsepower of a particular bike. I guess tires made for heavier bikes would have harder rubber compound and possibly stiffer sidwall construction.

I had a set of Conti RoadAttacks which lasted over 8K miles; over 5K of that was with 120lb. of gear on the back.

The RoadAttacks stay quite until they where close to the end of their life. Which is something I can't say for Meztler Z6's; they started getting louder after about 4.5K miles.

Z6's have an OEM version and a standard version also. The OEM version of this tire has more tread depth on the rear tire vs. the standard rear tire. I compared my tire with a buddies who has the OEM tire and he definitely has more meat on the tire (in the center) than my tire has with the standard version. Hence the price difference. BTW, the original tires on my bike were BT-020's also. I got 7K out of that set. The second set of 020's I only got about 5.5K miles out of them. So far the Z6's have about 4K miles on them now. The front looks fine but the rear is starting to get close on the wear bars.

Be aware that you will need a Torx 50 bit to remove the lug bolts and a Torx 40 to detach the rear muffler hanger. Don't expect to find them in your BMW tool kit (unless you bought the optional more complete kit).

Be aware that you will need a Torx 50 bit to remove the lug bolts and a Torx 40 to detach the rear muffler hanger. Don't expect to find them in your BMW tool kit (unless you bought the optional more complete kit).
And as I learned the hard way this weekend, if you have a Torx 50->1/4" socket adapter->cheap 1/4" to 3/8" adapter->3/8" socket wrench setup, don't be surprised if you have to make a quick run to Sears or the like for another 1/4" to 3/8" adapter when the metal fails completely and twists right off... eek.gif
Rocket_Cowboy

Speaking of tires ... (I know, I haven't even taken delivery of my R12RT yet, so what do I care about tires) ...

I noticed the 1150RT guys seem to like Metzler ME880s pretty well. I'm currently running a combo Z6 front/880 rear on my ST1300, and have been pretty happy with the mileage I'm getting out of them (11-12K a set). Just curious what you guys think about 880s on the 12RT? Too hard a tire?

Speaking of tires ... (I know, I haven't even taken delivery of my R12RT yet, so what do I care about tires) ...

I noticed the 1150RT guys seem to like Metzler ME880s pretty well. I'm currently running a combo Z6 front/880 rear on my ST1300, and have been pretty happy with the mileage I'm getting out of them (11-12K a set). Just curious what you guys think about 880s on the 12RT? Too hard a tire?

I think the issue there has been that you have to use a different size. They don't make (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) an 880 in a 180/55 17ZR. However, some people have tried a different tire on the wheel (I can't remember the size) and ridden it. Not something I'd want to do, but I believe it's been done.
Rocket_Cowboy
I think the issue there has been that you have to use a different size. They don't make (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) an 880 in a 180/55 17ZR. However, some people have tried a different tire on the wheel (I can't remember the size) and ridden it. Not something I'd want to do, but I believe it's been done.

Ah ... I hadn't caught on to that nuance yet. Didn't realize the tire sizes were different between the model. Thanks for that heads up!

I was at the shop yesterday dropping my bike off for some recall maintenance. The tire issue was brought to me, I am on my second set now, a pair of Michelin Pilot Roads. Good tires but the folks were talking about Conti Attacks . Question I have is about the wet weather capabilities as I ride daily here in the wet Pacific Northwest. Any commits? Any other choices? I still have about 2000 miles left...

I was at the shop yesterday dropping my bike off for some recall maintenance. The tire issue was brought to me, I am on my second set now, a pair of Michelin Pilot Roads. Good tires but the folks were talking about Conti Attacks . Question I have is about the wet weather capabilities as I ride daily here in the wet Pacific Northwest. Any commits? Any other choices? I still have about 2000 miles left...

I have Conti road Attacks on my R1150RT and I reckon they are the best tyre for wet and dry grip I have ever fitted. Here in the UK they are significantly cheaper than the other brands as well. I have had the centre stand touch down on a wet road with the Contis.

On the RT (11XX and 1200) you need the 'C' construction for the front.

Andy

The Conti Road Attacks were original equipment on my 05 R1200RT. They are still on there at 11,100 miles and I think I will easily get 12k out of the rear. The front will go further but I will probably have them both replaced at the 12K service.

I rode in the rain more than I wanted this summer and the Road Attacks seemed just fine to me. I do think it was approaching hydroplaneing at 85 plus mph on I 89 in Vermont on the way to Massachusetts from the BMWMOA Rally. It was more rain than I think I have ever experience with noticeable pooling on the highway.

I'm probably going with another set of Road Attacks when the time comes, probably in November.

My bike came with Conti road attacks but mine lasted only 11,000kms (about 6600 miles). The rear was down to the tread wear bars and not long before being bald. I might have got another 1000kms out of it but no more. The front was slightly better but not much. I envy you getting 11,000 miles out of these tires. On my 1150RT I had Metzler Z6s and couldn't do much better than the Contis on my 12RT.

On the plus side I really like the Conti's. The have worked well for me in the wet and the dry. I liked them well enough that I went with another pair of them.

Anybody using Avon Tyres on their bike? They seem to have a pretty loyal following on other sport touring bikes, but I haven't seen too much on any website from people putting them on RTs.

Wayne

I have used Avon ST45 and ST46's on my R1100S and R1200ST. My last set on my R1200ST lasted 7000 miles on the rear and the front still has two or three thousand left at 11,000 miles.

I just returned from a trip to Missouri and Arkansas, and they worked well in the twisties. I have noticed no problems while riding in the rain.

AdventurePoser
Anybody using Avon Tyres on their bike? They seem to have a pretty loyal following on other sport touring bikes, but I haven't seen too much on any website from people putting them on RTs.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I just replaced my AZAROS a few weeks ago, after getting nearly 14,000 miles from the rear tire. I was confident that I could have ridden them another thousand miles or so.

I highly recommend the ST45/46 combo for your RT...

Steve in So Cal

Noisy? Noisy?

I've heard people mention this numerous times, so I suppose it just has to be true... but I've never paid attention to the "noise" my bike tires make.

You sure you don't have BF Goodrich truck tires on your bike? Now THOSE would be noisy.

I've got the Dunlops on my RT, and the thought of the tires being noisy has never crossed my mind. Besides, I don't know how anyone could here it with all the wind noise.

If tire thrum is an issue, you could always just turn up the volume on your radio...

Archived