IGNORED

Almost went down Saturday night

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

... the incident confirmed to me again that I do NOT like riding in the dark.

This would have been such a silly mishap ! I attended a flightsim event in Germany this weekend. Saturday evening I rode to the hotel, 2 minutes from the venue, to check in and fresh up. In the evening I was the speaker for an awards ceremony, so I had to 'dress up'. I could've walked, but since I don't drink, I figured I could gain 10 minutes in my room by taking the bike later.

So I got on the bike, wearing my regular Docker's trousers now (the 'rest' was still ATGATT). What can happen on a 1 mile ride eh? blush.gif

I left the parking area in front of the hotel, did a sharp turn left in 1st gear to get onto the street, and my front wheel decided to go straight aead.

I guess my 52 years of bicycle riding provided me with the reflexes to 'save' it. I stayed upright and 'stirred, not shaken' continued to the venue hall.

I had no clue what had happened. It was dry, I was on wonderful black new asphalt.....

Next morning I looked out the window. My room was exactly opposite the hotel exit... and there I saw it. There was some dark, fine sand laying on the dark new asphalt... probably fallen off the trucks used by the gardneres of the new premises. NO WAY I could have seen it in the dark and even difficult in day-time. I only saw it now because I was searching for something in that spot.

Shit happens on tho wheels... so please be careful out there !!!

Francois

... Shit happens on tho wheels... so please be careful out there !!!

Francois

Navajo Indians/Native Americans have a saying for this, "Coyote Waits"; trickster coyote is always waiting for opportunity to trip up the unsuspecting.

Glad coyote didn't get you, this time.

Wooster

Francois_Dumas

I guess it was a good thing the Navajos did not have 100 HP to sit on ! Just ONE is safer at times... smile.gifsmile.gif

I did an 'Oh-Shit' like that recently (albeit not due to sand). Front tire went 90degs to where I had intended it should go. Bike started to lean to the left, and I instinctively dropped by left foot to kick some weight in the opposite direction (my dirt bike riding days). Had it not been for an adrenilin rush, I probably would have laid the bike down (BTW, that was not a move I would recommend...600lbs can crush or break a limb and doing what I did was kinda foolish in hind sight). But things happened so fast and unexpected (dark as well in your situation).

Be careful out there.

Mike O

Francois_Dumas

I know.. we are taught EXACTLY where to ride over painted arrows, in between stripes of pedestrian crossings etc. But at least those you can see !

(When I found the gravel I was still in my underwear and decided that it would probably not be fitting to run outside thus (un)dressed on a Sunday morning in Germany to make a silly photo..... grin.gifgrin.gif).

I was still in my underwear and decided that it would probably not be fitting to run outside thus (un)dressed on a Sunday morning

Talk about a mental photo we DIDN't need. eek.gif

Same thing almost got me last week. It was dark, riding slow through a corner at about 35 mph and for no reason the back end, and I think also the front to a lesser extent, decides to shift left about 2-3 feet. It was over before I could do anything but generate that "feeling" in your stomach. Had to go back to see what caused the unexpected move and it was a light layer of sand spread oh so evenly across the lane.

Glad to hear that sand didn't get you.

I hate that feeling you get in your stomach when something unexpected happens tongue.gif

I was still in my underwear and decided that it would probably not be fitting to run outside thus (un)dressed on a Sunday morning

Talk about a mental photo we DIDN't need. eek.gif

Especially after he "Almost went down Saturday night". blush.gif This post is going to the dogs. grin.gif

Francois, in all seriousness I'm glad to hear is wound up being a painless learning experience.

Francois_Dumas

Especially after he "Almost went down Saturday night". blush.gif This post is going to the dogs. grin.gif

Well.... it wasn't much to begin with........ grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

thank you, after being off the bike for a number of years I welcome bits and pieces of what to look for.

by the way; really like the things you add to this forum!

Bob thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas

Thanks Bob and glad you find some of my ramblings useful. I had been off bikes for over 30 years when I decided to get a license again. Never looked back..... thumbsup.gif

Archived