IGNORED

Oil consumption and Break in

E30TECH

I had a question regarding the oil consumption on my 04 1150RT. I have put about 900 of the the 7500 miles on this bike. When I bought it 4 weeks ago, it had 20w50 oil. I added about 1/2 qt in about 700 miles.

I just changed the oil to 10w40 (BMW oil) and went on a 100 mile ride. The level is down about 1/8 qt after the 100 miles.

The previous owner told me he babied the bike. I assume he babied it during break in. I have 'gotten on it' a little - running it to @ 6K coming off the stop lights via full throttle starts trying to seat the rings in a little more. I dont do this at every light - but it is done about 3 times per trip.

I have read these bikes use oil, so I am aware of that. I would like to hear if something similar has happened to people here and if they were able to reduce the oil consumption by trying to finish the break in the right way.

BTW - I did notice some very minuscule metallic particles in the oil when I turned the oil filter upside down. The engine sounds and runs fine.

Sorry for another oil consumption question blush.gif

Why 10W40? Unless you're going to be riding all winter I would stick with 20W50. As for the break in, it's too late now the bike is broken in. All you can do now is ride it. I used this method of break in on all our bikes and none use any oil.

Break In

You're not gonna hurt it running it up to red line, and besides it's fun and sounds really good when you get it over 6K. Just ride it and enjoy it.

Why 10W40? Unless you're going to be riding all winter I would stick with 20W50. As for the break in, it's too late now the bike is broken in. All you can do now is ride it. I used this method of break in on all our bikes and none use any oil.

Break In

You're not gonna hurt it running it up to red line, and besides it's fun and sounds really good when you get it over 6K. Just ride it and enjoy it.

I plan on riding it thru the Winter so I changed the oil over to 10w40. I suppose consumption would increase with the lighter oil (?).

I do enjoy riding the RT - but the thought of adding a quart every 800-1000 miles seems to irk me a little.

ShovelStrokeEd

Might irk you but that is really not out of bounds for consumption. Some little advise4, forget about first gear helping seat the rings, try third or higher evcn better. Full throttle from about 4K on up to red line in third, then 4th then 5th. The idea is to let cyclinder pressure work for longer and harder against the rings to press them against the cylinder walls. Not enough load in first to do the job.

Another suggestion, just forget about it for 2K miles or so. With the bike on the side stand, look at the sight glass, if you see oil in there, you are good to go. When you can't see oil any more, add about 1 quart and go ride some more.

My 1100S uses very little oil. I change it about every 6K miles (53K on it now) and I don't even bother checking any more. It is, about a quart down at the end of the cycle but, who cares, there are 4 quarts in there.

BTW, for a nice, year round oil, try Shell Rotella T, 15w40. You'll like both the price and the performance. Yeah, I know it's a diesel oil but, just don't tell your motor.

Yeah, it's weird. Some seem to use oil and others none. The RT is my first BMW and I had heard the boxers all use oil, but so far 14,000kms and it doesn't use any. You've probably also read that it takes 15,000 miles for a boxer to really settle in. If it was mine, I would just continue to "break it in" as suggested in that article. I think it's a good method and I think they're right, the key is loading the motor, then backing off.

Might irk you but that is really not out of bounds for consumption.

BMW autos have the same oil consumption allowance - 600 or so miles per quart. Pretty damn amazing if you ask me - any vehicle using 1 quart in that many miles is way too much.

Full throttle from about 4K on up to red line in third, then 4th then 5th.

I was ripping 1st thru 3rd to 6K from the lights. Then I was thinking maybe I should cruise for a while at 5K. Should I cruise even higher than 5K? And for how long?

BTW, for a nice, year round oil, try Shell Rotella T, 15w40

I use that in my Kawasaki, my 325ic before I switched to synthetic, and my mother's 318is in the summer. I have no problem with using that oil - but BMW calls out that SH rating (or whatever it was). I'm set for 2 oil changes as I bought enough BMW oil until the end of next year thumbsup.gif I'll consider using that Rotella until its time to switch to synthetic.

You've probably also read that it takes 15,000 miles for a boxer to really settle in.

I read 10 - 12K. Thats why I'm hoping that I am only 1/2 way there.

I would just continue to "break it in" as suggested in that article.

I'll go read that article now. I had to sneak over to the PC before as my wife and I were watching a movie. Now that the movie is over I have time to read it grin.gif

I guess the problem is I spent almost 12K on a bike (which I never thought I'd do). I just want to make sure everything is right with it and that I do the right maintenance on it.

Where does the oil consumption occur - in the higher RPM range, idling, etc?

Thanks for your responses,

Perry

ShovelStrokeEd

I'll repeat myself, at my age, I'm entitled. grin.gif

Your engine can't read. Put whatever oil in there that makes YOU feel good. Change it, and the filter on a regular basis (6K miles is fine) and just ride the bike. So long as you don't tell the engine that it doesn't have SH rated oil in there, it won't care.

Pretty much any modern, quality oil will give you long life in your engine. There may be some benefit to synthetic oils when operating in high ambient temperature conditions but, again, I doubt the motor will notice.

As to running it in, it will happen when it happens. That break in article is spot on but, at 7500 miles, it mostly won't apply anymore to your bike. Just ride the bike around, keep a weather eye on the oil level and top up as needed but no real need to get your panties in a wad over 1/4" in the sight glass.

As the miles pile on, the consumption will go down. I'd suggest you take the bike for a nice long ride. Say 1500 miles over a weekend. Repeat as needed until the consumption goes down. Should be fine by Christmas.

Why do the engines have an oil sump? Because the oil is there to cool and lubricate the engine. All sports engines consume oil. If you take an M5 BMW you have to continuously pour oil into it, and it should get it to work well. If it does not take any oil then you should be concerned that it is not being lubed.

A little sarcastic but there are so many threads on this oil subject and they all are about concerns how much the engine consumes oil. Some say that after 20k they stop hogging it and others stop after 10k etc.

As the others have said, just ride it give it oil when it needs it and if it is going to be 1Q /1000 that is still within the spec.

thumbsup.gif

My 04RT used more oil than I thought it should up until 18k when I switched to synthetic. I went on a 6500 miles round trip and didn't need to add any oil. Now with almost 60k on the bike I hardly ever check it between 6k oil changes.

Put whatever oil in there that makes YOU feel good.

Thats why I put BMW oil in. I bought 10 qts because its a long ride to the dealer. By this time next year, I'll throw the Rotella in since I have enough BMW oil to last until then.

but no real need to get your panties in a wad over 1/4" in the sight glass.

grin.gif

If you take an M5 BMW you have to continuously pour oil into it, and it should get it to work well. If it does not take any oil then you should be concerned that it is not being lubed.

I didn't have to put a drop of oil in my M3 - but I can understand what you are sarcasticly saying about it not being lubed if its not being used.

Since I spent all that extra money on BMW oil, I wanted to top it off with a $14 BMW oil filter. Its funny how an oil change on the RT was double what it is on my Pathfinder.

Thanks again for the responses.

I gotta go pull that wad out now smirk.gif

I've had my 04 1150rt a few months now. It had about 16,000 when I got it, and I've put about 2,000 miles on it. I just added some oil for the first time yesterday; I'd say about 1/3 quart or so.

My 04RT used more oil than I thought it should up until 18k when I switched to synthetic. I went on a 6500 miles round trip and didn't need to add any oil. Now with almost 60k on the bike I hardly ever check it between 6k oil changes.

Interesting grin.gif MY 02 was going thru oil as well until after a 4200 mile trip running some times 10 hrs a day at high RPM'S - changed the oil after I came back and after 2000 miles the oil level hasn't changed much. I have almost 25000 miles on it. I would stay with 20-50 even in the winter.

Its funny how an oil change on the RT was double what it is on my Pathfinder.

Thanks again for the responses.

I gotta go pull that wad out now smirk.gif

And you thought it would cost less to maintain your bike than your truck! lmao.gif

I would stay with 20-50 even in the winter.

My manual says 20W50 is good to 0C (32F). I'm still running 20W50 even though it's -5C to -10C when I leave in the morning. The resaon I didn't switch is because I'm going to have to put the bike away soon due to snow on the roads, and I start the bike in my heated garage and then it warms up above 0C by noon when I go for another ride. I'm also running Amsoil which I know has a very low pour point. BUT if I could ride all winter, I would be switching to 10W40 as well.

My '02 used oil in varying amounts until it had about 15 to 18k. It now (At 40k+) will use a very small amount if I don't take a long ride. But a long, hard ride will probably end your problem. By long and hard, I mean the equivalent of hiway 50 across Nevada at 100+. DAMHIK.

And you thought it would cost less to maintain your bike than your truck! lmao.gif

I have owned several BMWs - but none of them were bikes. I realize how demanding BMWs are on the wallet when it comes to maintenance wink.gif

I just find it ironic that something that costs 1/2 as much as my truck, with 1/3 the cylinders, would cost twice as much to change the oil. Anything motorcycle gets a premium - so BMW motorcycles would have a premium on the premium. Or something like that.

June 2005, I bought my RT from a friend with 29K on the odo. It was (and is) subject to very good maintenance including regular oil changes every 3K during winter,and 6K during regular riding season. At the time I bought it, it was serviced with Castrol synthetic blend and used just a little over 1 quart every oil change. In the 16 months I've owned it I have put 25K miles on it. On the last oil change, I switched to Mobil1, 15W50 (per owner's manual) and just completed a 5500 mile trip. Total miles for the last oil change was nearly 7K miles (I didn't want to change the oil on the road, so I waited until I got home) and I only had to add 1/2 quart during that time. When I changed the oil, it was still half way up in the sight glass.

I guess my point is this, don't sweat the small stuff right now. I have no doubt that your bike is using oil now, but hold on for a while, ride it like you normally will, and the oil comsumption will calm down. Have fun, enjoy your bike!

That seems to be the case - after so many miles, the consumption just tapers off. That is the 2nd time someone changed to synthetic and consumption went down. I'd think the opposite would happen.

Thanks for the post. I'll continue to ride and enjoy it. I have an extra quart on board just incase.

Perry

Archived