IGNORED

The "Who Wants To Ride Together To Gunnison" Thread

EffBee

If you're looking for some road companions, please post here.

For those of you who haven't included your e-mail addresses in your user profiles, please include them in your posts so people can contact you.

Way Cool! I'll go ahead and start one here. Hopefully the level of detail is acceptable. If my post is deemed too long for bandwidth, . . uh, . . um, . . well, too bad I guess?

I'm planning to leave the SF Bay area early on the 17th, just to give myself a little extra flexibility getting to Colorado. My reservation in Gunnison starts Saturday night, which should allow me an extra day to play around in southern Utah and/or southern Colorado.

I'm going nearly due east, probably across Tioga pass. I'll cross Nevada on the Extraterrestrial Highway (6 to 375 to 93 from Tonopah to Caliente), then across southern Utah. I'll pass through Zion on 9, up 89 to 12 to Torrey. From there, I'm thinking of heading down 95 to cross the Colorado River (or is it Lake Powell?) and over to Telluride or some other southern Colorado town. But, I also like Moab, and might consider heading up 24 and spending a night or two there and renting a Mt. bike to go for a ride on the Slick Rock Trail. From either place, it's an easy ride to Paonia if I want to drop in on their rally and on to Gunnison for Saturday night.

No reservations on the way, and much of this is flexible depending on daily progress. Daily mileage will vary between 350 and 650 depending on whim. With luck, the first day's mileage will be longest. I'm a wimp in heavy afternoon crosswinds and might spend the night in Tonopah if it's nasty in the afternoon. If it's not too windy, the first night will probably be in or near Caliente. I enjoyed the southern Utah roads so much last summer, I know I'll like this route since I get to ride them again.

I installed FRS capability this last winter just in case I hooked up with any like minded tourists to ride with to Gunnison. I'd be glad to split room cost with a non-smoker, or travel with riders that prefer their own room. To all the rest, see you in Gunnison!

I'm going with whoever buys me breakfast in mojave on friday morning the 19th at 7 am.

No crowding please people !!!

Gee, I've been away from the board for quite a while, and couldn't figgur out how to post on this thaing.

Anyway, as for right now, still planning on making the trip the the G-Spot, leaving Dallas Friday AM, probably stopping Amarillo, Dumas, Dalhart, somewher in there, and on into Gunnison Sunday. I know there were several from the area - You guys still on?

Brian

Yeeha! Stephen

Brian,

I'm still on. And I have a similar departure plan.

Leaving Friday a.m. and staying at the Best Western Amarillo Inn on the West side of town that night.

Sat. a.m. heading into New Mexico through Tucumcari, across on 104 to Las Vegas, and up to Taos. Staying in town at the Indian Hills Inn. Have stayed there before and it's a nice little place, just a block or so from the square in Taos.

Sunday a.m. making my way to Gunnison through Chama NM, Pagosa Spgs Colo., over Wolf Creek Pass to South Fork, and left on 149 up to 50 and a short right to Gunnison.

I have Ramada reservations and will keep them.

After the Un-Rally, Vicki and I are staying in Colo Spgs till the end of the week to do tourist trap things.

Haven't heard from you for a while. Still got that new Flame keeping you off the board and bike?

Correction: I was originally planning on leaving early Saturday AM, and arrive Gunnison Sunday PM. The heat between Dallas and the Texas/NM border that time of year is hell, and I want to get thru it early. I may stretch it as far as Raton the first day.

Yeah, Steve, the main squeeze has been taking up a lot of my time lately. The good part is that she loves the bike. Film at eleven.

FLIronButtRider

Hi, Brian! Good to hear from you! We've missed you around here. I went to the LSBMWR Wild Flower ride and they said you backed out at the last minute. Polo and I are leaving Wednesday morning in order to get to Paonia by Thursday. We'll be at the Gunnison KOA on Sunday

Fasterpill

Is there anyone I can hook up with passing through Central Oregon or thereabouts? I'd like to leave sometime Friday and take a scenic route. Haven't planned it all out yet, but I want to arrive in Gunnison sometime Sunday. I may be able to squeeze out sooner to hit the TOR, but we'll see. Most of you know where Redmond is, so I might be able to put a few of you's up for the night, if needed, too.

Current Plan is to leave South San Jose Thursday after work and ride to Mojave. Friday ride from Mojave to Richfield Utah, then in to Gunnison on Sunday. That the plan tell it changes.....

I'm thinkin......

San Fran (Meca Tech Dazes) on the 13th and 14th,

Vegas 15th and 16th,

Tucson 17th and 18th,

then onto Paonia and Gunnison.

I gotta find Bubba

hANNAbONE (unfortunately, not mOOOSE - waaaahhh) and another LT rider will be making our way to Paonia very early on Thursday 18th from Des Moines, Iowa. We'll be leaving at around 2 am in the morning to get through Nebraska and get to Denver by noon-ish. Then onward to Paonia. We should be sitting by our tents with a cold one (or two) by 7 pm the 18th evening.

Anybody getting to Paonia on Thursday.??-if you beat us save some tenting room - if we beat you we'll save y'all some tenting room. Email me direct at johnh@stmarysdsm.org and we'll finalize all this.

Sometime on Sunday we'll pack it all up and head to Gunny for the REAL (un)rally. WooHOO..!!!!

Dakota Dave

Ok Tom,

How did you get to San Fran in the first place. That is a long way from home. Too bad you are coming from the wrong directions.

I should be able to ride back though.

I Plan on heading out on the 18th anyone going via Sioux Falls.

Jonathan -

Would like to hook up for at least part of the trip to the rally. I am located in Sacramento. I took Hwy 50 through to Utah a few years back, and enjoyed it. Would like another bike to go with this time. Let me know if you are interested in trying to ride together.

Could meet online via email or over breakfast some time. Are you a member of NorCal too?

Later

Steve

Hey Brian! I can leave either Friday or Saturday. I have reservations at the Ramada Limited starting on Sunday, June 21. My son may be riding with me on his R1100R if he can get off work. I don't know if I will stay in Gunnison for the entire rally schedule, but if my schedule doesn't crater on me, I want to be there at the beginning...

Tucson 17th and 18th

Tom,

Stop by and I'll buy you a beer if you have time. If not, see you in Gunnison. (520-760-2869)

Dave,

The wife and I are leaving Minneapolis on the 17th, and could join you on the 18th. We're thinking we could make it to Souix Falls by Wednesday evening (starting out in the afternoon, and hoping it's not too hot).

Our initial destination is for Castle Rock, CO. (on Friday)

Regards,

John Ranalletta

We'll be leaving from Indy on Friday, 7/19 via the southern route (haven't decided whether to slab it on 70 or take Rte. 36 across). Anyone else in St. Louis or K.C. on Friday?

Jim Catlett

A friend of mine and I are leaving Kansas City at 6:00 AM Saturday morning probably via I-35 to Emporia then US 56 to Great Bend - then KS 156 to Garden City - then US 50 to Pueblo - then straight onto Gunnison on US 50. We plan to do about 500 miles or so on Saturday and call it a day. We'll probably stay in Pueblo. Sunday we will ride on into Gunnison.

Anyone I could ride with to the rally from Mpls/St. Paul, MN? I'm thinking about heading out on Friday, 19 July and arriving Sunday in Gunnison, CO staying at the Ramada. Let me know, thanks Colleen ninemiletn@attbi.com

• 2 weeks later...

We are leaving on the 12thfrom Buffalo NY, going through the Black Hills and Custer park and arriving in Paonia on the 19th via Steamboat Springs. Will be in Gunnison on the 21st and leave for Buffalo Ny on the 23rd or 24th. Haven't mapped return trip yet.

In reply to:

Tucson 17th and 18th,

then onto Paonia and Gunnison.

T.M. Roe

One fast mofo. We might be able to hook up with you on the way up to Paonia. Meghan and I will be riding through Arizona the 17th and possibly staying overnight at Monument Valley, then spend the 18th riding up to Paonia via backroads.

Its finally close enough to do some serious ride planning. I'm planning on leaving the LA area either Th 8/18 or Fri 8/19 early, and would love to hook up with some others for the trip out. I'm totally flexible - only plans are Ramada, Sun 8/21 thru Wed 8/24. Looks like lots of Ca paricipants according to the latest attendance survey. Can't wait.

Dave, my current plan is to leave mid-morning/noon on 7/18 (I think you meant 7/18 not 8/18, right? or you'll be there a month late), and go from SoCal to St. George, UT (about 6-7 hours). On Friday I plan to go all the way to Montrose, CO (a 9-hour ride and only 72 miles short of Gunnison) and hang out for a day at the Day's Inn which is owned by a former neighbor of mine. Lounge by the pool on Saturday, eat a decent restaurant dinner, and the stroll into Gunnison Sunday AM to begin the prep work.

I would like to ride with someone who has an FRS so we can stay in touch, and if you want to share a room, I'll bring you some earplugs as I do snore. But I would like to limit it to no more than 3 bikes, one of which (not mine) would ride lead with a V-1. I ride sweep.

If anyone's interested, please let me know. If not, I'll see you in Gunnison, or you can stop by Montrose on Saturday and use the pool. That's where I'll be.

Thanks for the invite Fernando - I'm probably going to leave Friday AM and head out thru Arizona and work my way up thru southwestern CO to Gunnison. Got to check on fire issues and will finalize plans next week. See you there.

Do you folks know the Hell"s Angels are having a family reunion/Business meeting in Gunnison starting on the 25th? They are expecting a large gathering......

In reply to:

That's why I am packing my favorite crack pipe and some lick em stick em tattoo's

Ok, he's ready for the Hell's Angels women, but someone needs to get rid of their guys. Sounds like the party is at Wurtys room.

T minus 19 hours, looks like I'm riding alone, unless Steve gets out of work. Steve, you gonna meet me in Modesto?

I'll be leaving Danville at 8:00, late lunch in Tonopah NV, first night in Caliente. Ride through Zion and up 89 and 12 to Torrey for the second night (Mmmm, dinner at Cafe Diablo!). Take an easy ride on Friday to Moab to rent a Mt. Bike and try to break my neck on the Slick Rock trail, then dinner at a brewpub and a beer or two before beauty sleep. Saturday ride to Paonia and the rally and then to Gunny for Saturday night. Keep an eye out for me if you are in any of the above at the same time, or else I'll just see you in Gunnison!

Archived