IGNORED

New K1200GT vs FJR1300 review

Lou99

All probably very true,,,I do miss the FJR @ times. It is a capable machine that 13 or 14 K $$$ is underpriced. I rode the GT and do think it has much to offer. I have thought about shelling out the 22K many times but quickly change my mind????? How much will they be in 08 is my question????

Excellent review, makes these two bikes seem very close but also different in significant ways... seems that a test ride would be in order to see which fits best. Except... while you can test ride the GT at most any BMW dealer (or will be able to soon) the FJR requires a purchase commitment months before you even see the bike. That has to be a factor in a purchasing decision and I can't see why Yamaha thinks that it would be a positive one.

All probably very true,,,I do miss the FJR @ times. It is a capable machine that 13 or 14 K $$$ is underpriced. I rode the GT and do think it has much to offer. I have thought about shelling out the 22K many times but quickly change my mind????? How much will they be in 08 is my question????

And then there is that little issue of the new Kawaski Concourse!!!! Damn! Need to change my drool stained shirt AGAIN!

Thanks for post that really good test, Lou

My own testing pretty much agrees with their findings. I do however have stronger feelings about the things I liked and disliked about the bikes, and my personal choice would be the FJR.

I'm very put off by feedback from the GT in terms of braking, and cornering feel. It takes more attention to physically mangage the bike, to get it "into" doing what I'm after, and that takes away from choosing what to do as it is appearing, and then, say as in cornering, to just make the changes/adjustments that keep things going as I want them. I'm fighting the GT and being helped by the FJR - regardless of the road situation being dealt with.

The RT is also "inferior for me" compared to the FJR in those ways. But, I ride an RT happily (until Power is called for), and I know I'd get on with life with a GT beneath me just fine: There's no Totally Disgusting Complaint going to arise about the GT for me. It's just that I know "There's slightly better For Me out there."

Where one or the other bike has an ergonomic advantage or disadvantage - for me - it doesn't matter in the end. I'd change the windshield, handlebars, and seat, and the foot pegs too if I could find a way -- on both bikes.

I'd be going to change the suspension components of bikes, as neither is up to my own standards. However, I do find I can be more at ease with the stock FJR components than those of the GT.

I... Well, I do take issue with the BMW brakes. I get the braking - and the feel - I'm needing and wanting from the FJR just fine, and without that industrio-mechanico-techno-crap that so often goes wrong on the BMW. Brakes just ain't something to screw around with, guys. And BMW's ABS is still a dangerous pain in the a@@. "It only acts up some times", is not ever acceptable. To me.

But, I'd live alright riding a GT. And, if somebody "Felt they needed a BMW" for Sport Touring, I'd say they'd probably get along fine with one too. It sure does a good job.

But not a better one than the FJR... for me.

Best wishes.

A very fair review, especially considering that they included both the A and the AE versions of the FJR. I have rented an FJR and test rode the KGT. The FJR ergos are a better fit for me. Is the KGT worth almost 50% more? Too subjective a question. From this and other threads it seems that many are ready to jump the BMW ship for the new Concours or perhaps the Yamaha. What's the reason (if my premise holds water)? Price? Complexity? Reliability? Frequency and cost of service?

From this and other threads it seems that many are ready to jump the BMW ship for the new Concours or perhaps the Yamaha. What's the reason (if my premise holds water)? Price? Complexity? Reliability? Frequency and cost of service?

The thrill of the unknown? the thrill of a brand new different bike whether you need one or not?

From this and other threads it seems that many are ready to jump the BMW ship for the new Concours or perhaps the Yamaha. What's the reason (if my premise holds water)? Price? Complexity? Reliability? Frequency and cost of service?

Don't feel I am going to jump ship as I will be keeping the ST no matter what! At the end of the day, I work VERY hard for my money. If I am going to give up $20k plus for a bike, it needs to deliver. If I can obtain the same, or close to, thrill/enjoyment/satisfaction/etc. for 1/3 the cost, that means the wife and I can either buy; LOTS of farkles and still come out ahead, pocket the cash, or take a trip. Or better yet, the saved money could buy her her first road bike!

Service is not too much an issue. I do my own, regardless of the bike.

Modern day motorcycles are all very close, IMO, to being on par to each other from the perspective of reliability. Modern day differences are still there, they are just not as expansive (or expensive) as they once were.

All of these factors go into the soup pot along with, for me, the main ingredient that surpasses all others. How does the bike make me feel while it is doing its intended job. In the case of the FJR/GT/GTR this is supersonic sport touring. Lots of power on tap and ergonomics to support high mileage days consecutively. The salt and pepper is the ability to operate outside of its intended envelope from time to time to enjoy other elements of motorcycling. For example, Sweeper Madness in Torrey, Skaggs Springs Road in Sonoma County, Mosquito Ridge Road in El Dorado County, any of the Sierra passes.

That is how I decide on a motorcycle.

There is no such thing as a perfect motorcycle. Each one is comprised of a series of compromises. It is how this compromise fits into my desired element of the motorcycling segments that ultimately brings me to plunk down all the cash I earned on all those overtime shifts I worked.

If the GT does it better than the FJR/GTR then it will get my cash. It just might have to wait a little longer to do so.

YMMV, my $.02, IMHO!

If the GT does it better than the FJR/GTR then it will get my cash. It just might have to wait a little longer to do so.

Please, those of you that have the older GT's, don't take too long!!!! I'm jonesing for an '04 Blue GT!!

Your comment about "no perfect motorcycle" is absoletly true. I have owned 19 in my life and all fell short in some areas but excelled in others. That is why I have had up to 3 at one time. crazy.gif I do love the RT. It has the ergos, cornering and comfort...I do wish it had about 15 more hp though. grin.gif Seriously it does have ample power for what it is...a boxer. So no real complaints there. I like H.P. though....To me HP is like a firearm...better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!!! dopeslap.gif

Pretty much...when I owned my FJR I took a 3K trip and only changed the oil while on the road. No valve checks, no $$$ for a 600, 6K 12K etc on the road. I took a 5k trip in August on my RT. An entire day lost traveling and 250 $$$ for a glorified oil change. Don't get me wrong, I love to ride beemers. However in doing so there are compromises to include $$$$. And not that I don't have $$$ to buy or even pay for service but why???? I mean 22K for a bike and service not included?? I paid 32K for my 325i and the first oil change was 15K and it was included in the service. I understand that BMW dealers need to make $$$ to stay afloat. No issues there...but if the japanese can build engines that can go 28k for the first valve check my thought is BMW could too. My FJR cost me a whopping 25$ for the 600 mile. 25$ for the 6k service and 70$ for the 12K. Who can argue with that??? And although I am a loyalist to a degree, I don't have to be agree or even swallow the high cost of service for BMW's. BMW could if they wanted scale back the service intervals and be fine. Why is the the FJR brake and coolant change every 3 yrs or 36 k and BMW is every 12K. I'm sure we all know the answer...so to answer your question? I am not jumping ship anytime soon. If I buy another bike I seriously doubt it will be a beemer. I have had 5 BMW's and the same old thing...SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE. I am looking for convienance, rideability and reliability (looks too) when I purchase..that's all.

• 7 months later...
kingpinofdisks

I have test ridden the FJ1300AE and the K1200GT today. Both are 07 models. The FJ1300AE feels more powerful, mainly because it pulls quite a bit harder from down low. However, the K1200GT has a much nicer ride, lighter handling, and I preferred the riding position.

Sooooo.... that is why there is no substitute for a test ride

while you can test ride the GT at most any BMW dealer (or will be able to soon) the FJR requires a purchase commitment months before you even see the bike.

I have been in 3 different Yamaha dealers in the LA area lately. They ALL are keeping FJR1300s in stock. One had a demo bike to try. This is very different than 18 months ago.

BMW could if they wanted scale back the service intervals and be fine. Why is the the FJR brake and coolant change every 3 yrs or 36 k and BMW is every 12K. I'm sure we all know the answer...

I'm not trying to be pugnacious, but you're right -- the service intervals CAN be scaled back. I'm doing most of the work on my bike myself, and have decided that there's no cause to check valves every 6K once everything is settled in; there's certainly no reason to interrupt a road trip to check them. I also don't see a need to flush the brake system annually regardless of number of miles. No way would I interrupt a road trip to pay somebody for a "glorified oil change." If you really believe the oil needs to be changed, do it yourself in a motel parking lot (no bike offers an easier oil/filter change procedure than a boxer).

If a Yamaha can go 36K without a brake flush, odds are that the Beemer will do so as well. So, scale back on the "suggested" maintenance to where it makes sense to you.

From now on I'll probably check my valves once a season (15-20K) whenever there's a rainy weekend and I don't have any place to ride; oil changes in my garage roughly every 6K as they suit my trip schedule; tires when they wear out (but never leaving on a trip without enough rubber to confidently get home again); brake flush maybe every other year; etc. Pretty simple really. It doesn't have to be about "SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE." The bike will run fine regardless (although your conscience might bother you wink.gif).

Granted my bike's long out of warranty so I thankfully don't need to worry about that.

Thanks for post that really good test, Lou

My own testing pretty much agrees with their findings. I do however have stronger feelings about the things I liked and disliked about the bikes, and my personal choice would be the FJR.

I'm very put off by feedback from the GT in terms of braking, and cornering feel. It takes more attention to physically mangage the bike, to get it "into" doing what I'm after, and that takes away from choosing what to do as it is appearing, and then, say as in cornering, to just make the changes/adjustments that keep things going as I want them. I'm fighting the GT and being helped by the FJR - regardless of the road situation being dealt with.

The RT is also "inferior for me" compared to the FJR in those ways. But, I ride an RT happily (until Power is called for), and I know I'd get on with life with a GT beneath me just fine: There's no Totally Disgusting Complaint going to arise about the GT for me. It's just that I know "There's slightly better For Me out there."

Where one or the other bike has an ergonomic advantage or disadvantage - for me - it doesn't matter in the end. I'd change the windshield, handlebars, and seat, and the foot pegs too if I could find a way -- on both bikes.

I'd be going to change the suspension components of bikes, as neither is up to my own standards. However, I do find I can be more at ease with the stock FJR components than those of the GT.

I... Well, I do take issue with the BMW brakes. I get the braking - and the feel - I'm needing and wanting from the FJR just fine, and without that industrio-mechanico-techno-crap that so often goes wrong on the BMW. Brakes just ain't something to screw around with, guys. And BMW's ABS is still a dangerous pain in the a@@. "It only acts up some times", is not ever acceptable. To me.

But, I'd live alright riding a GT. And, if somebody "Felt they needed a BMW" for Sport Touring, I'd say they'd probably get along fine with one too. It sure does a good job.

But not a better one than the FJR... for me.

Best wishes.

+1 on what Dick said. My Last 6 bikes have been Beemers, I still have 2. But the new FJR in my basement, is making me question why. It just does everything I need a bike to do. And does it well. For what I consider to be a reasonable price.

The little stuff adds up. It is nice to do an oil change without having to pull any plastic. No valve adjusting to worry about for quite some time. The brakes work very well for me, and I also like the fact that they do so without the added complexity of servos.

It all boils down to personal preference. I do love to see that blue & white propeller on the gas tank. But this time I could not justify it.

My bike is 3 weeks old with just under 2000 miles, so far so good. I took it to the dealer for the first service. Just because. $104.00 out the door. Still expensive, but I can not ever remember leaving a BMW Dealership with a $100.00 Service Bill.

As far as ride and handling, I feel it owes nothing to any other bike in this class. That could be debated, But I don't care. It works for me and that is all that matters

One thing that makes BMWs great is the community of riders that go out of their way to help each other. But I am beginning to think that the company has been capitalizing on that for too long. Part of the reason for the tales of mega miles is that so many folks can help you keep it going.

Anyway, I thought I would throw in my two cents. As a happy FJR Owner. Again It all boils down to personal choice. I am sure that If I had a GT under my but I would like it just fine as well.

Archived