IGNORED

Accomodations

doc47

Attached is a list of places that can handle groups. All are in Cody.

Group prices represent only a small saving. Even with my Hebrew wiles I was unable to extract more than a few shekels off the prevailing rate. In the summer they don't have to go begging for bookings.

The Buffalo Bill (Biffalo Buff?) Village shares a common property with the Comfort Inn and the Holiday Inn. They all share an outdoor pool.

Sorry the layout of the attachment is so nasty. It looked much neater on the document itself.

confused.gifconfused.gif

267444-ACCOMODATIONS.txt

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

David,

You're right about the freak out factor. It sounds like making a camp area the center of the event is a great idea. It gives people the option to save if they like.

Now, which of these are close/adjacent to the camp area?

Mark

I think the prices might shove people toward camping, but two thirds or more of our group wouldn't consider camping regardless. For one thing, many don't have the gear. For another, I suspect that many will be two-up, with less room and a partner who might not be excited about camping.

I kind of think these hotel prices might be a problem for people. I'm just guessing, though. Hopefully not, because everything else seems so great about the location.

Mark, I'm out of town right now but I'll check on the proximity factor this week.

David, I'll also check to see if there might be a Mountain Shop or outfitter of some sort in town who could rent tents, sleeping bags, etc. That might work for some folks.

The 2br cabins at BB Village would certainly cut costs for folks who want to share. Same for the cabins at Ponderosa.

russell_bynum

Wow! Those prices are going to really freak some people out.

Like me?

Holy smokes. $135/night for a freaking Days Inn? Day's Inn in downtown San Francisco is only $89. What are these people smoking?

Sorry...didn't mean to shoot the messenger, but good grief. That's outrageous.

Those prices are going to really freak some people out

Hey! Let's all sing "Camping Safari!"

(With apologies to the Beach Boys)

Let's go campin' now

Everybody's learning how

Come on and safari with me

(Come on and safari with meeeee...)

Early in the morning we'll be startin' out

Some honeys will be coming along

We're loading up our RT's

With our camp gear inside

And headin' out singing our song

Come on campin' baby wait and see

Yes I'm gonna take you campin' with me

Come on campin' baby wait and see

Yes I'm gonna take you campin' with me

What... crazy.gif

what.... why you lookin at me like that? grin.gifcool.giftongue.gif

Those prices are going to really freak some people out

Hey! Let's all sing "Camping Safari!"

(With apologies to the Beach Boys)

Let's go campin' now

Everybody's learning how.....

What... crazy.gif

what.... why you lookin at me like that? grin.gifcool.giftongue.gif

And people thought I was cracking up. tongue.gif

Okay! The time is here!

I'm going to post the UnRally HQ tonight on the DB and let slip the dogs of war! Just wanted to give you all a head's up on the situation so at least you all can have first pick of either close hotels or camping cabins/TeePees. I'm sorry about the exorbitant prices. We had no idea it would be that outrageous when we picked Cody. I guess that explains the overwhelming positive reaction to the location, though. The people of Cody know they have a good thing and the demand will keep them able to get those high prices for the limited supply of lodging. Isn't Capitalism great?! tongue.gif

I will post the following tonight, pending any additional input from the Committee:

The UnRally-III HQ will be the Ponderosa Campground located at 1815 Yellowstone Hwy., right on the corner on the left where E.B. US 14/16/20 (Yellowstone Hwy) turns to the north and becomes 8th St. See the mapQuest page here.

They have two large tent yards set aside for us. They have the main level close to the amenities (showers, restrooms, laundry, etc.) and one down a paved road ~.1 mile down close to the riverside and amongst large trees. This is supposed to be a very beautifultent yard--where the organizers of previous HD rallies have opted to stay--but if you want something other than port-a-potties, you have to walk back up the hill to the main area of the campground. We have both of the two large tent yards set aside for our group as well as the 5 camping cabins (electricity, but no plumbing), and there are three TeePees down below by the river and six more up above. They also have tent sites with electricity if needed as well as many RV spots (separated but close by) in both back in and pull-through configurations.

Mention that you are with the BMW M/C group for the group rates and to be placed together with the rest of us. Group rates are:

tent yard spots $16.00 each

camping cabins $32.00 each (BYO Bedding)

teepees $19.00 each (basically just a more permanent tent)

tent sites with power $19.00 each

RV back-in spots $26.00 each

RV pull-through spots $28.00 each

The Ponderosa does not accept any sort of credit cards confused.gif so call to make your reservation, give the group name, your name and phone number and then mail them a check (or money order). Call Skip Richardson to make arrangements at the Ponderosa if you want to camp. Her number is (307) 587-9203 (FYI: does not accept calls from blocked numbers). Her mailing address is:

P.O. Box 1477

1815 Eighth St.

Cody, WY 82414

Tentative plans are to do catered meals at the Ponderosa, like in Gunnison, so we can eat, relax, visit, party, drink a few beers and not have to drive anywhere.

There are many, many hotels and motels in Cody, and many are right close by the Ponderosa. There are a few right across the street, but Cody is not a very big town so theoretically most all might be considered within walking distance (<2 miles). It is a very popular area and as such, the prices for hotels/motels are rediculously expensive. We tried to arrange group rates at the hotels, but due to the demand, especially at that time of year, they did not feel the need to budge much on group rates. You might mention the group to see if we have talked to them, or you might be able to do just as well with any other discounts you might have access to on your own: AAA, AARP, etc.

The three closest Hotels to the Ponderosa are the Carriage House (non-smoking motel cabins, very nice), The Super 8, and the Best Western. A more complete list of lodging options can be seen here. Choose Cody Country from the "location" pull-down menu.

Spots will fill up fast as folks are making their summer plans already, so call early to assure yourself a spot. See you in July! grin.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

OK I got a rate of $139.99 for the Super 8. The Best Western isn't booking out that far, but it was $136 this past year at that time. As the lady said it's the peek of their season.

I'm in at The Carriage House, $75.00/night for two people. I will be arriving on 7/11 to help out with things. She says it's just across the street from the camp ground.

Can't wait,

Mark

Jamie, time to put all this in it's own forum. So I'll set that up now and you can post it there. For now, I'll just have your group able to start threads. Let me or Russell or Spike know if you want anybody to be able to start threads.

So . . . . now I'm not sure where I should post the final HQ/lodging info. Should I post in the Main Forum just pointing everyone to the new forum? Do I post the HQ and lodging info in the main forum and mention the new forum for followup info? Do we need a whole new forum just to announce the HQ location and loging info where there is no dialogue? Do we want to eliminate/limit dialogue? Where do posts for folks looking for roommates go?

Help!!??

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Jamie,

I think David was thinking you'd post the info in the new forum. People should be able to follow up to your post. From what David said I don't think they'll be able to start a new thread. I think that's ok. They can discuss the housing in the thread that you start.

I would also put a quick post in the main forum pointing out the new one with a teaser that there is housing info there to be read.

Just my $0.02US,

Mark

Here's a request/suggestion: I'll be posting detailed info on accomodations as I firm up the arrangements.

Could there be a separate topic under the Unrally Forum that only myself, Jaimie or Les or other committee folks post on?

This would allow folks to access info without having to sift it out of replies, gab, etc.

doc

OK. If it's OK w/ you what I'll do is create another thread and make a request that no one else post on there unless they have specific information they want to add. That should probably keep the extraneous stuff down to a minor dust cloud. wink.gif

That'll work, Doc. If people post extraneous stuff, we can delete it, too. Or you can just ask us to close the thread. It could always be opened up when/if you need to add something.

Archived