IGNORED

First time down....

NewtomeR850R

Was going around a corner in a parking lot today, there was an opposing gradient, so that and the fact it was a sharp turn the valve cover and protector made contact with the tarmac and pivoted and spun the bike and she slid out from under me. It slid about 20 feet and made a light contact with a small hill. Luckily I had my jacket and helmet on some good marks on the jacket, and my knee is banged up, but this was a good wake up call reminding me to be extremely cautious all the time. So I took it over to the dealer right afterwards and dropped it off to have the valve covers replaced and things looked at. So, just thought I'd share.

Sorry to read about your mishap. Glad to hear you're only modestly banged up and otherwise okay. I can see how easily this could happen. Hope your bike's okay, too.

ShovelStrokeEd

Whoops! Glad to hear everything is more or less OK.

Off camber can be a real SOB. Grade eats up clearance and puts the tires further on their edges at the same time.

Thanks for sharing. You got a lesson and passed it on to the rest of us. Good job.

russell_bynum
valve cover protectors ate it? What type of protectors did you have that you need the valve covers replaces?

I don't know what the OP had on his bike, but the stock BMW valve cover protectors are a POS. I don't think I've seen an oilhead go over at anything more than walking speed where the valve cover protector survived.

The protectors are not very good, they were totally scraped, too bad cause they were brand new last week. The right valve cover was pretty scraped down, I'm anal about the looks and I drive it about 500 miles a week so I wanted it perfect.

Glad your ok. Just think how good of a rider you'll be now, since you don't have to worry about that first scratch. I put mine down once in the parking lot at work..Darned grabby brakes, and once in my gravel driveway it just fell over. I think that the Anti-Gravity circuit needs to be adjusted. JP

New,

Glad you're ok. cool.gif

Seems like something about the way we're wired needs to be reminded now and again about mass, speed and the compressive limitations of our frail and at times, magnificent, bodies.

Also glad it was a parking lot off-camber. Now, the thing to do once you get her pristine again is use that newfound fear/respect and get getter cause you're either learning to be a better rider or you're... eek.gif

thumbsup.gif

Bummer frown.gif Glad you're ok and the damage minor (nothing the "$500 Dollar Store" can't fix wink.gif)

Sounds about right! smirk.gif

Glad you're O.K.!

Archived