IGNORED

Winter Riding More Dangerous?

stefeb

Areas of the country that have four seasons:

Not referring to weather/road conditions, etc., but more to cagers.

During the spring/summer/fall, there are a great number of bikes on the roadways. Cagers are used to seeing them, and perhaps lodged somewhere in periphery of their minds is the notion, "Hey, there are motorcycles on the road."

In the winter, however, the number of riders greatly decreases, and I imagine the cager's awareness of us does as well.

If that's true, is riding in the winter more dangerous, and what are some strategies to reduce the risk?

Thanks.

Hypothespeculatioussumptions permitted, I would put my money on "no". The few times those Chicago wintry roads were clear enough to go for a leisurely weekend ride, there were far fewer cars on the road. I think that trumps seasonal inattentiveness as a risk. One never knows when a wayward cement truck might come your way, however. smirk.gif

Statistics for each region would tell the tale... statistically.

I see each season, and each region presents its particular challenges. Where I ride within California gets a little better in Winter in my estimation.

Mountain areas eventually get closed off, or I set aside riding in them as they begin freeze and thaw cycles, and acquiring dirt and rock debris. But until then, traffic levels are lower both weekdays and weekends, the temperature reduces the tendency to heat effects and a little bit toward dehydration. When temps really start to drop bulky clothing distracts from good riding, and dehydration risk rises, but till then, Moderate reigns and feels darned good.

The desert becomes less a demon that turns mistakes fatal. Traffic and road hazards reduce, but overwash debris from Winter rains can be hidden in low spots. Many of our deserts are high altitude, three thousand to over seven thousand feet. The highest are way north in California and into Oregon, Nevada, Utah and Idaho. Temperature can get dangerous on the low side in Winter, but good planing, and partner riding can moderate that.

The coastal regions are far less trafficked. Temps are moderate and may be the only place warm enough to ride near some locales -- like Southern California from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo. The coastal mountains beckon sporty riders like me.

All places across the US from mid-Florida upward are subject to periods of Glare Ice or Black Ice, the invisible stuff. The State of Washington guys live with it for months on end. Gives me the Willies. I'll ride in snow, but strenuously avoid ice.

Our Central Valley and San Juaqin Valley are subject to Thule Fog during Winter and Spring. I feel too vulnerable on a motorcycle to ride when that's likely.

Winter brings a shorter diurnal cycle; Dawn and Dusk progressively compress the lighted day. They begin to creep into our commute time, bringing extra challenges to the Winter season. We're already notoriously un-seen on bikes, and now exposed to riding in the dark elevates that challenge. As well the bed-toward-feed and feed-toward-bed animals are out closer to the noon.

One aspect of Winter doesn't get the notice I'm wanting. As it wears on, people suffer that Lack Of Sunshine Effect. They go catatonic to differing extents. We're always vulnerable, so Winter adds a danger if inattentiveness -- perhaps some of our own too.

In general, I try to channel my riding toward the middle of the day in Winter. It's warmer, brighter, and less populated with challenging potential. And, perhaps because of the extra care I'm prone to take, it just may be the safest time of the year for me to ride.

Best wishes.

ShovelStrokeEd

Biggest danger down here in Florida is the increase in geezer population. My condo nearly doubles in occupancy from November to May. The increase in traffic density and number of poor drivers is quite noticable.

I don't have to deal with ice or snow and our rain season is just about over now. Later in the winter, Feb and March, there is some early morning fog but I'll put up with that for the 70 degree days and 60 degree nights to come. Winter is actually our best season.

Not referring to weather/road conditions, etc., but more to cagers...I imagine the cager's awareness of us does as well.

I'm not sure your point was addressed, but it does seem to be more associated with physical factors. One might speculate that wiht less light, our headlights standout more. Case in point: I was riding day before yesterday and much of the area was shrouded in clouds (foggy). Most drivers are moving slower and looking harder. Our headlights are bound to standout more with reduced definition of objects. In this same context, there will also be less daytime, as already mentioned.

When it gets really wet and cold don't expect cagers to see you at all. Wet windows don't make for great visisbility, nor do foggy windows.

Disregarding physical factors mentioned, I wouldn't expect a correlation to driver awareness of bikes and season.

The most obvious ideas-

• keep the lights on
  • all usual precautions
  • Ride slower in the wet
  • Watch for fresh debris in hilly or wooded ares (anytime)
  • Duck in snow country! Left hand curves (your direction) throw snow off the top of cages into your lane (I know).
  • keep your visor clean (like riding behind traffic in the muck)
  • Don't ride on icey roads unless your truck is out of gas and your late for work lmao.gif

During the spring/summer/fall, there are a great number of bikes on the roadways. Cagers are used to seeing them, and perhaps lodged somewhere in periphery of their minds is the notion, "Hey, there are motorcycles on the road."

In the winter, however, the number of riders greatly decreases, and I imagine the cager's awareness of us does as well.

I don't think there are enough bikes on the road anytime of year for cars to be particularly aware of them, except maybe within 200 miles of Sturgis in early August.

wrestleantares

I have a few thoughts:

+ Cagers seem to see me more in the winter. I think it is because they are surprised to see someone on a motorcycle and somehow it REGISTERS - while in the traditional riding season bikes are very commonplace.

+ I would think riders that ride in the winter are statistically able to ride more miles with fewer wrecks. REASON: I think the ones that ride in the winter are generally more experienced and confident riders on the whole.

+ Light - Coming home after work hours, it is generally dark/getting dark. Easier to see a motorcycle IMO.

If it is a freezing day, beware of your tyres when you start out - DAMHIK eek.gif. If it's a sunny but very cool day but you want to ride anyway, it is better to wait until the sun hits the tarmac for a while before setting out.

Archived