IGNORED

Brake check

ncsonderman

Just thought that I'd post what seems to be the simplest rule. It is so simple that it is sometimes an afterthought. blush.gif

I tend to do my own maintanence and remove my wheels to take to the dealer when I need rubber. Most of you can see where this post is going already smirk.gif.

I had my afterthought smacked back into my head this morning, literally. dopeslap.gif Last night I got new rubber and did a bunch of cleaning while the wheels were off. Easy access to the dirty pipes and fork legs! grin.gif

I was ultra happy to have new MEZ6's and a clean bike as I hopped on for my morning commute. Unfortunately, my garage is on a hill and I must back out and down about a 30 degree decline and make a turn before dropping onto the fairway behind my townhouse. This is not normally a problem, until this morning frown.gif.

Does anyone want to tell the board what happened on the decline lmao.gif

I'll post the rest after someone points out my mistake and oversight.

Let's see:

Forgot to put the wheels back on?

Didn't look behind you while backing up?

Inadvertently oiled the brake pads?

OR

Forgot to pump up the brakes after reinstalling the wheels and had a handful of handlebar instead of brake lever? Can you say roller coaster? grin.gif

We've got a winner!

I'm a forgetful dope bncry.gif I realized that I didn't have brakes as soon as I had over half of the bike on the hill. I reached with my left hand to my left breast pocket to use my garage door opener as normal. Next thing I know the brake lever was resting against my two fingers and the handlebar eek.gif. I tried to pump the brake as I was rolling backward to no avail. I needed to navigate a sharp turn at the bottom of the drive or shoot out onto the golfcourse. That second drop along with wet grass would've put me down for sure. The bike turned a bunch quicker with the increased speed I was carrying. I guess I reverse high sided smirk.gif. I was tossed about 6 feet downhill at about 15mph, not enough to hurt or even knock the wind out of me. My Savannah II performed excellently dispersing the impact with the back and elbow armor. My wallet provided tush cushion grin.gif. My right glove showed abrasions on the gauntlet and palm. My Arai came out without a mark clap.gif I love to wear them but not to buy them! The gear still looks good and only my ego was hurt clap.gif

I guess it's time to repaint my right mirror and cylinder cover, as they had minor scratches when I got the bike. The extra large case lid got scuffed and the "protector" strip popped of on impact. I guess I can place some reflective tape over the scuffs.

The only real damage was a broken luggage mount. I can't ride with my right bag until I've got that replaced. Any ideas on the replacement cost of that?

This is a good example of why you wear gear on short rides. I don't wear overpants on my short commute, but the gear I do worked out well.

Thanks so much for the important reminder through sharing your experience.

As a pilot, actually a kid learning to become a pilot, starting at age 8, I increasingly came to understand the value in a Checklist. First helping to, and then doing alone, and then leading peers to 'put airplanes back together from parts in boxes', I was shown lots of important steps I had overlooked - that a proper Checklist, and using it, would have gotten done correctly.

I've come to understand many parallels between flying and airplanes, and riding and motorcycles. I find Checklists add to gaining positive experiences in both using and maintaining the things of both worlds.

Best wishes.

I completely agree with the checklist concept. It's funny that I create them for everyone at the hospital to ensure they comply properly with procedures. I've even got one for the things that I need to take with me for my tailgating trip Lexington, KY this weekend. Cooler, beverages, grill, tickets.... cool.gif

Most maintenence should be followed through from step 1 through the final step at one time. Leaving something for later lets the mind wander too much, at least mine dopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Assuming the wheels were back on, my guess is you didn't pump up the brakes after remounting the calipers. Result? No brakes when backing down the hill. Hopefully nothing untoward happened. dopeslap.gif

The side case lock assembly is about $200.00 new. I was lucky enough to find a used one at my dealer for about half. It's any easy job to change just drill out the old rivets and replace with new.

Glad to hear your outcome wasn't worse, your ego will heal. It could have been worse..

Dave thumbsup.gif

Assuming the wheels were back on, my guess is you didn't pump up the brakes after remounting the calipers. Result? No brakes when backing down the hill. Hopefully nothing untoward happened. dopeslap.gif
Nope! Nothing to see here, move along, move along!! dopeslap.gif

---------------

If it makes you feel any better, BadAdam was over a few years ago at my house (with the old steeper driveway) for some tires and broken clutch lever and signal on one side (an R-S bike, I think). He did the exact same thing and ended up dropping the bike on the same side . . . breaking the SAME lever and signal that had just been replaced not an hour earlier. eek.gif

Ever since then I've been extra careful to turn on the key and bed in the pads before I move the bike. dopeslap.gif

Glad you're okay and the bike is easily fixable! thumbsup.gif

I have forgotten to pump up the rear brake but part of the process with the front wheel involves putting on the front brakes and pumping the forks up and down to help align things before tightening the axle pinch bolts completely. Do you not do this? Its a good idea and makes it impossible to do what you did.

I've never tried compressing the forks a few time prior to torqueing the axle bolt. That would ensure that this never occurs again.

I am fortunate to be able to ride without interruption following this mind freeze. The only problem is locating a used Rt. Footrest (Gray piece that the footpegs and side case mount to). The dealers want $267 for a new one lmao.gif

I think I'll make a few calls to Beemer Boneyard and the like. grin.gif

Aluminum_Butt
...but part of the process with the front wheel involves putting on the front brakes and pumping the forks up and down to help align things before tightening the axle pinch bolts completely.

...compressing the forks a few time prior to torqueing the axle bolt. That would ensure that this never occurs again.

I do the fork compression routine when putting my front wheel back on, but I didn't realize it helped to bed the brakes. Can someone help me understand how it does this? I just thought it was for alignment.

Joe Frickin' Friday
...but part of the process with the front wheel involves putting on the front brakes and pumping the forks up and down to help align things before tightening the axle pinch bolts completely.

...compressing the forks a few time prior to torqueing the axle bolt. That would ensure that this never occurs again.

I do the fork compression routine when putting my front wheel back on, but I didn't realize it helped to bed the brakes. Can someone help me understand how it does this? I just thought it was for alignment.

Because it's hard to press exactly straight down on the handlebars when your'e bouncing the front suspension; so in order to do it, you need to apply the front brakes - and that's when you'll know whether or not you've pumped the brake pads up to the rotor.

ShovelStrokeEd

Because it's hard to press exactly straight down on the handlebars when your'e bouncing the front suspension; so in order to do it, you need to apply the front brakes - and that's when you'll know whether or not you've pumped the brake pads up to the rotor. As you push the brakeless bike about halfway across the damn shop, tripping over the gas can and watch, helplessly as it hits the door of your wife's new sports car and then lies peacefully on its side, taking a short rest till you stop cussin'. DAMHIK!

Dick,

Absolutely agree.

With flying, the more you learn you then discover that more importance is placed upon discipline and self-control thumbsup.gif

Especially the first time you fly "in the soup" and the realization hits you that this is the real thing, that you MUST depend on your instruments and training and that there is no option to just lift up the hood and take a peek eek.gif

Oh! and let us not forget the importance of checklists to prevent those 'senior moments' that happen to all of us past the age of 30 grin.gif

That is, if you can remember where you keep the darn things dopeslap.gifwink.gif <weg>

[/color] As you push the brakeless bike about halfway across the damn shop, tripping over the gas can and watch, helplessly as it hits the door of your wife's new sports car and then lies peacefully on its side, taking a short rest till you stop cussin'. DAMHIK!

Doh dopeslap.gif Can't you blame it on the dog? grin.gif

Archived