IGNORED

Tips for riding in high winds??

EBinder

Hello All,

I had my first experience of riding in high winds over the weekend. I was on the the well known I-15 going through Rancho Cucamonga and Devore when I was hit with 60 mph sidewind gusts and 45 mph sustained. My bike was being thrown all over the road with several instances of getting pushed over to the next lane. What is the best method of riding in these conditions, other than not. I reduced my speed and moved over to the slower lanes of traffic, but that didn't seem to provide much relief. Not something I will want to experience any time soon.

Thanks,

Eric

I've struggled with it, and posted the same question here too.

About the best advice I've heard is to lean the bike into the wind and keep your body upright and 'on line.' Also riding in the upwind wheel track when possible gives you a little bit more margin to be blown / stepped over. Finally, like always, stay loose on the bars and let the bike work its own track as best as it can.

John Ranalletta

Last week I rode across KS in 50-60 mph side winds and gusts. Unlike Ken's advice, I found that it was easier to control the bike and hold it to a line if I reduced the "sail effect" of my upper body; so, I scooted my rear back and lowered my chest toward the tank, dropped my elbows, released my death grip and pointed my head toward the wind. Kinda' like Riding Smart.

I felt that doing so reduced the mass affected by the wind and best prepared me to make whatever steering inputs the wind might require easier.

There wasn't much traffic so I rode in the middle of my lane; however, when a vehicle approached, I would purposely steer the bike to be on the very outside of my lane as it passed by in case a gust blew at that critical point.

AdventurePoser

Eric,

I was out riding in those winds last Saturday. 50 yard visibility and howling wind gusts were pretty dangerous! When the wind blows that hard I'm not convinced that any motorcycling activity is good!

Still, taking a deep breath, and keeping a light, relaxed grip on the bars does help. Think of it as playing with the wind instead of fighting it with locked arm and back muscles.

Good luck, cause I'm sure we will have lots of time to practice in the Santa Anas this winter!

Steve in So Cal

Crossed Kansas from KC into Colo with sustained winds from the south and gusts on 16 Sept. Tried multiple positions, speeds, leans, windshield positions, etc. Found the best set up was to slow down some, lean my body forward (as JPR did), lower the wind shield, maintain a loose grip on the handlebars, and watch the landscape anticipating gusts behind hills and in valleys. This added to slight bike lean into the wind helped the most. By doing all this the wind noise was also decreased to the point I could here myself think even with ear plugs. I also increased rest breaks to relax my mind and body.

Since my speed was slower, I was being passed by truckers and enjoyed the respite of riding in the lee of the trucks occasionally. That was a nice break.

40 miles after south wind ended, the north wind kicked in (cold front) so I practiced the same techiques, just changed the direction of interest.

It might sound corny, but try sticking your windward knee out into the wind. You will look a bit funny going down the road, but I swear it helps quite a bit. I guess that it acts like a sail and helps to equalize the pressure. thumbsup.gif

Gail

Rode in some really nasty wind a few years ago when riding the bridges to Key West. I found that going faster provided far more stability than going slower...also helped cut down on the travel time tongue.gif

+1 for the windward knee technique.

Most important thing is to not deathgrip the handlebars. Don't loosen up completely, but let the bike 'flex' a bit with the wind. You can keep it in one spot with steering corrections that aren't forcing it. I've also found that putting the windscreen lower helps too. Less of a 'sail effect' at the front of the bike.

There are some good tips here. First I'd like to emphasize the need to relax your grip on the bars. If you encounter a strong gust from your right, naturally you pull on the bars to keep the body upright. Problem is you just counter-steered your bike into the wind, further exacerbating the push to the left (countersteer leaned the bike the direction the wind is pushing). You just crossed an entire lane eek.gif

I like to grip the bike with my legs to keep my body stable, then RELAX the grip on the bars. Do not use arms to keep yourself stable. OK, I beat the point like a dog

So suppose you do what has been suggested, what happens?

First, most bikes are stable enough that they want to maintain a straight line. If that same gust hits, you and the bike just lean into the wind as physics takes over in an attempt to maintain that steady state. We get nervous because were used to the feel of going along straight-up. Big gusts can cause quite a lean. If you stayed relaxed the bike probably tracked pretty straight, until the gust stopped. THEN you need to correct to get the bike upright because there isn't any force (of nature) to push you back upright. You will deviate some from your line upwind, but nothing like the downwind death grip (as I have called it).

We know gusts are the problem, steady winds are easy. You just have to get used to letting the bike lean when it wants. Feels funny leaning like you are going thru your favorite twisty, but traveling straight. thumbsup.gif

I have practiced this for several winters traveling the central valley, it works if you can over ride (no pun) your natural tendency to want the bike straight up.

These are all very excellent tips. The key to all motorcycle riding is to remain loose in the saddle. Its a learned trait and the added mix of a large force of nature causes the mind and body to do work in opposition with each other.

For a sustained cross wind, shifting your weight into the wind can help. Be careful to pay attention to road side buildings and terrain features that can grab the wind and reverse its direction......found myself in the oncoming lane once.

For gusting cross wind you are best to use countersteering to to stay on line. Shifting your weight a lot is not only tiring but too slow to respond to the ebb and flow of the gusts.

I think the right technique just comes naturally because the wind pushes you into the adjacent lane and you correct. I've ridden in 45 sustained with 60 gusts many years ago and can say I enjoyed it.

The only warning note would be to stay near the center of the road (not lane) as this maximizes your riding zone.

Archived