IGNORED

First ride with Full Face Helmet

Volfan615

When I got my first bike (Harley) I got a black half helmet just most of the other Harley riders out there. I've been wearing it for a while and it's just so comfortable I don't even know I have it on.

But when I first started looking at getting a RT I really started considering moving to a full face. So anyway I picked up a new Shoei RF-1000 on Friday and took my first ride with it today. It was really great and better than I ever expected. I can't believe that I waited this long to get one. The one thing I am going to have to get use to though is my sense of speed. I was constantly going faster that I thought I was. How long does that take?

The other things to get used to are hearing fewer things and seeing fewer things (restricted views). Of course bad weather won't be as big an issue. smile.gif

Thats an excellent helmet. I really like mine. You'll get used to the speed sensation. How about hearing protection?? If you're not already wearing ear plugs you should give them a try. That too will changed your perception of speed not to mention feeling less fatigued after riding several hours.

Never had a problem about the sense of speed. I love the calmness of wearing that helmet. The only thing about sense of speed that I would mention is when a rock or something plings off your helmet. "Oh, that would've hurt at this speed without a full face helmet!"

Something also worth mentioning is getting your hands on a tinted face shield and a carrier (Shieldsak is pretty good) and making a habit of dragging it along with you on any long trips.

After this past weekend, I won't be going on any long rides again with only the clear shield.. biggrin2.gif

I wore a ¾ open faced helmet for years. I remember the first few times that I put on my full faced helmet it felt claustrophobic. It was so much quieter that I was concerned that I might not be able to hear traffic approaching. Having that visor so close to my face made me feel so closed in. I thought that I would never be able to get used to it. In reality, it only took one good long ride, a 300 mile day, and every thing was good. Today, I don’t think that I would consider riding with anything but a full faced helmet. thumbsup.gif

I started out wearing a full face helmet when I started riding and never thought much about it until I had to wear a ¾ helmet at work. I noticed that the sensation of speed was more acute with the ¾ helmet, probably because you see the road below you with your peripheral vision as you ride. Recently I wore a full face helmet again and the only thing I noticed as a hindrance was that my peripheral was restricted when I was splitting traffic.

Having seen some motorcycle collisions where the rider left parts of his face in the road, or embedded in the car that cut him off, I'd personally recommend a full face helmet to anyone who's wondering what type of helmet to buy.

Of course, you may miss having to floss all those dead bugs out of your teeth…

tongue.gif

..I'd personally recommend a full face helmet to anyone who's wondering what type of helmet to buy.

I've seen occasional Harley riders with full-face helmets, and it doesn't really look all that out of place. As a matter of fact, IMO, it kinda has a more coolish look than those beanie-type skull caps.

When I switched to full face from one of those half helmets, the difference was dramatic. I could actually hear the bike running with the full face on, going down the road. The straps on the half helmet made so much noise next to my ears that it was quieter without one on, let alone in a full face. The oncoming trucks did not lift it off my head and as others have mentioned, bugs, rocks, rain, etc were no longer an issue. As long as you are moving and the vents are open, it is even cooler in the hot weather. Much warmer in the cold too! I'll have to agree, I would not go back to anything else.

I've been riding only dual sports and adventure tourers for the past 2 years, full face helmets are great on the road but not so great off road in the heat and the dust. Since my summer rides normally find me on both street and dirt, I've been wearing a Snell/DOT motocross helmet with goggles. This combination provides the best of all worlds for me, with chin and mouth protection, plenty of visibility, no dust in the eyes and no overheating. Works for me. On a street-only ride in cooler weather, I always have a full face helmet on.

Archived