IGNORED

The old pals act

Steve1962

......otherwise known as " Steve and Andy invade another unsuspecting town ! " ............. this time , it was Pershore , in Worcestershire .........

I called Andy this afternoon to see if he would be interested in a ride out to check out the Abbey and bridges at Pershore , and once he had checked his watch [ is it showing the right time now Andy ? ] ...and got himself back into the right time zone , we agreed to meet up at Broadway ......here are a few shots I took on the way there ...........

Pershoreparttwo001Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo002Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo004Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo005Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo006Medium.jpg

At Broadway , we had a quick wander about .........

Pershoreparttwo015Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo016Medium.jpg

and then made our way to Pershore , riding through the town to the bridges on the far side

......... this has seen action [ fierce fighting ] in the Civil War .........

Pershoreparttwo018Medium.jpg

Some detail ..........

Pershoreparttwo020Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo023Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo024Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo025Medium.jpg

he bikes on the bridge ..............

Pershoreparttwo021Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo022Medium.jpg

Then onto the Abbey ..........beautiful .........

Pershoreparttwo026Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo027Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo028Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo030Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo031Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo033Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo036Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo038Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo040Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo043Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo044Medium.jpg

Trusty steeds ............

Pershoreparttwo046Medium.jpg

The White Horse Hotel , circa 1904 .......... some of the folk in it were born before that date grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Pershoreparttwo049Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo048Medium.jpg

Time to head home , so we thread our way back to the main road and split at the A44 .......... I stopped to take a few more shots on my way back .........

Pershoreparttwo050Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo051Medium.jpg

Pershoreparttwo053Medium.jpg

Andy ,

Thanks again for an entertaining afternoon out !!

Steve

Well my broadband connection seems very flaky tonight, so let's hope this post gets up all right.

Earlier today I get a phone call from Steve asking if I want to meet up for a ride. I say 'Great' and we agree to meet at Broadway in the Cotswolds, about 1 ½ hours south for me. Looking at my watch I say, hmm, it's 20 past 1 - so 3 o'clock meet. No says Steve it is 2:30! eek.gif my watch is wrong. So we arrange to meet at 4pm.

I arrive at Broadway and cruise up and down the main street before stopping outside a pub to wait for Steve. While waiting I take a few pictures.

Ride230906005.jpg

Ride230906004.jpg

Ride230906003.jpg

This is a Fire Insurance Plaque. In the days before municipal fire brigades, private companies set up fire fighting services. You paid your insurance premium and were issued with a marker to put up by your doorway. Each company had its own badge and the policy number was stamped onto it. In the event of a fire, the brigade would check your policy number and if you had paid up to date, they tackled the fire. If not, they got out the bread and made toast.

Ride230906007.jpg

Steve arrives:

Ride230906006.jpg

We have a quick look round one of the quieter backwaters in Broadway:

Ride230906008.jpg

Then onto Pershore Bridges.

There has been a crossing over the Avon here since the 11th or 12th century as the land on both sides was owned by Westminster Abbey. The earliest documentary evidence of a bridge was in 1290, when Sir Nicholas de Mutthon left 1 shilling in his will to effect repairs. By the early 15th century the old wooden bridge had fallen into disrepair and people used the ford and stepping stones. It is said that the Abbot of Pershore Abbey fell from these and drowned, leading to the building of a stone bridge in 1413.

On the 5 June 1644, during the English Civil War, King Charles and his troops were fleeing back to Worcester after the disastrous siege of Oxford. With the Parliamentarians hot on his heels, King Charles orders the bridge to be demolished. This was done with to much haste and when the central span collapsed it took with it 40 men, including the aptly names Major Bridge. These poor souls drowned in the Avon. So important was the bridge, that it was rebuilt the same year. The new section can be clearly seen to this day, due to the different shape of the arch and the different coloured stone used.

Ride230906012.jpg

Ride230906013.jpg

The River Avon:

Ride230906018.jpg

Steve getting creative:

Ride230906019.jpg

On then to Pershore Abbey.

Parked up - my new Caberg Justissimo dark metallic blue helmet is a perfect match for Biarritz Blue.

Founded in 618AD the abbey has seen some dramatic changes in its history. The cloisters are long gone - lost to the reformation. Some of the stonework found its way to repair the bridges shown earlier.

Ride230906020.jpg

Ride230906025.jpg

Ride230906026.jpg

The enormous weight of stone is evident here:

Ride230906027.jpg

Ride230906028.jpg

Ride230906029.jpg

Ride230906033.jpg

The adjacent parish church and an ancient market cross.

Ride230906030.jpg

The bikes wait outside a welcoming hotel, the White Horse.

We had a diet coke and a chat to some cheerful locals.

Ride230906034.jpg

These painted window panes date back to the buildings origins in the late Victorian era.

Ride230906035.jpg

And so we rode on for another dozen or so miles before going our separate ways home.

Thanks to Steve for another enjoyable ride. Thanks to you all for reading this,

Andy thumbsup.gif

Thank you so much for your wonderful pictures and tales. I was in the UK this summer with my daughter, but unfortunatly stayed mostly in London with one day trip to Windsor and Eaton. Please keep them coming!

Archived