IGNORED

Fuel Level Sensors currently unavailable

bmcgoo

My fuel gauge has been wonky for the past month...reads full when empty then jumps to empty and continues to give me negative read-outs. I took the bike in for it's regular service and asked them to check out the fuel guage issue at the same time. When I picked the bike up they advised I need a new fuel level sensor but there is none in North America and they are back-ordered in Germany with no date for availability. The dealer also advised that my bike was the 4th '06 R12RT with the haunted fuel gauge they have seen.

I think BMW has a defect with their fuel sensor stock. I smell a recall.

My fuel gauge has been wonky for the past month...reads full when empty then jumps to empty and continues to give me negative read-outs. I took the bike in for it's regular service and asked them to check out the fuel guage issue at the same time. When I picked the bike up they advised I need a new fuel level sensor but there is none in North America and they are back-ordered in Germany with no date for availability. The dealer also advised that my bike was the 4th '06 R12RT with the haunted fuel gauge they have seen.

I think BMW has a defect with their fuel sensor stock. I smell a recall.

I haven't had a problem with my RT, but last June my GS took a 100mph hit from a pair of flying pruning shears necessitating, among other items, a new fuel tank. I had to wait 3 months for a back-ordered part that attaches to the tank. If nothing else, it kind of validated my 'need' for owning 2 bikes wink.gif

Have not been able to trust my sensor since I ran out of gas last summer. Computer showed 120 miles to empty and it died as I turned onto my street. Rediculous if you ask me on a bike that costs this much. I am bringing the bike in for a yearly service in 2 weeks and hope that it will be adressed. The bike has taken up to 5 gals. and the guage showed half-full with almost 200 miles to go??

There is a procedure to re-calibrate the film sensor used in the RT.

It involves completely draining the tank and allowing the gas to evaporate from the sensor. Then GT-1 is used to set the new value in the computer.

The dealer should try this procedure prior to replacing the film sensor.

Good Luck

My '06 R12RT has similar problems with the fuel gauge. One time it'll show 20 miles remaining. Stop for a small break and on startup it's back up to 100 miles to go. Dark fuel indicator will show almost empty and then on the next start, show 1/4 to half full!!

I usually just fill up at 250 miles indicated on the trip meter now and try to figure out what the fuel gauges was trying to say.

Just yesterday it went from showing 5 miles remaining to 40 miles remaining so I filled it up.

Took 5.1 gallons. Go figure, eh?

AD

I took my bike in for service, they ordered the part from somewhere in the US and it was fixed the next day 10/6. clap.gif According to the dealer the fuel sensor film strip needed to be replaced.

Archived