IGNORED

Oil Leak

otis

I noticed oil on the front fender today. Looking closer, it appears oil is coming from inside the alternator cover and leaking down the front of the engine.

I've never had the cover off and want to get some info before I remove. Attached is a pic I downloaded form realOEM....what is the seal for?

Any ideas?

Thanks...Pat

745672-alt-cover-shaft-seal.thumb.jpg.41907f5ba74495fc23d6aab3eab0073b.jpg

Shall we assume you are talking about your '04 RT???

Also no picture attached so can't ID the seal you are talking about.

There is the radial shaft seal in that area, it rarely fails, but all things are possible. It looks fairly easy to replace so is probably not too expensive even if you pay someone to do the work.

Stan

Stan

I noticed oil on the front fender today.

Are you sure it's not from the front shock? Fluid from the shock would blow back onto the cover. Or a blown fork seal?

Stan

Stan

May also be leak form one of the oil cooler hoses of fittings or that happende to me on my rt leak from metal flow pipe from sump to thermo valve which travels on left side of belt cover. Worth a look

Yep - 04 RT with 14.5K

Warantee up July 06.....no help there.

I wiped off entire area and rode it home, about 25 miles. It's still dry so I'll have to keep an eye on it.. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Getting a liitle frustrated. My first BMW...bought it used. I got lucky and it burns a QT every 800 -1K. Everyone says it; It'll go away, but I can't believe it's considered accepatble.

The cam tensioner is failing....needs a TB sync with 3K since last one.

I bought this bike so I wouldn't have to work on it....yeah right.

Sorry....enough of my rant.....bad day.

Archived