IGNORED

Couple of Rookie Maintenance Questions

otis

Greetings -

I need to remove the Tupperware to do some maintenance. I read you remove the mirror by hitting with the palm of you hand forward (toward front wheel). Does it just snap back on or????

My starter is screeching when disengaging and I assume needs lube. Do I use wheel bearing grease or????

TB sync….My idle is low and will do a TB sync. Is idle speed solely controlled by the air screws?

In addition, any tips for a rookie performing his first TB sync is appreciated.

Thanks….Pat

Joe Frickin' Friday
I need to remove the Tupperware to do some maintenance. I read you remove the mirror by hitting with the palm of you hand forward (toward front wheel). Does it just snap back on or????

Correct on both points. More detail on removal and installation here.

My starter is screeching when disengaging and I assume needs lube. Do I use wheel bearing grease or????

RightSpin has put together an excellent writeup for starter maintenance. It's in the MC/FAQ, linked to at the top of the page; click here to go directly to it.

TB sync….My idle is low and will do a TB sync. Is idle speed solely controlled by the air screws?

Assuming there is enough slack in the throttle cable(s) to allow the throttles to come to rest against their stops, yes, the little brass screws are how you tweak idle speed. Do you have some kind of vacuum measurement device? Manometer, Carbstix, or Twinmax, or the like?

In addition, any tips for a rookie performing his first TB sync is appreciated.

You may want to attend the West Michigan Tech Daze in a week and a half. We'll be tearing Ken's bike to pieces to put a new clutch in, so you'll get a good look at what's under the tupperware; I think it'll be a useful experience for someone new to RT maintenance.

Thanks for the info guys....great links and starter lube write-up.

Yep, I have a Twinmax.

Thanks for the offer….I’d love to attend the tech daze, but will have look into my schedule. The wife may have book my time already ;)

be careful on whacking the mirror off. at the last tech day i whacked and it flew thru my sweating hands, became a hacky-sack as we all kicked at it before hitting the floor and cracking the freakin mirror. bncry.gif i now have tethers for both. thumbsup.gif

Archived