IGNORED

Motolight bulb replacement

Lawman

I'm looking to buy 4 - 6 amber bulbs for replacements for my Motolights..Other than the Motolight company itself anyone know of a source?? I can't find it listed on the Sylvania website..thanks..

The bulbs are MR16's. Run down to any hardware store or office supply and grab some overhead projector type bulbs.

They are free from Motolight, though. thumbsup.gif

What you are looking for are MR16 bulbs, 12vDC two pin.

Not sure if you need an amber lens cover on the bulb or the outer lens.

The stock wattage is 35 & I'm not sure what the stock beam spread is.

As far as FREE bulbs from Motolight, here is the info .

4-6 replacement bulbs? Are you burning them out that often?? Write motolite and they will send you a replacement set free of charge, but if your burning the bulbs out that often, there is a problem for sure.

I dont think if 5 years of owning my motolites that I ahve actually burned one out. I have replaces bulbs when moving the lights, or when I broke the glass, but cant recall needed to replace one cause it didnt work.

When my glass broke, I wasnt thinking clearly, and went to a grocery store in canada and bought a new bulb there. But DUH, the glass isnt part of the bulb!

When I mentioned that to the motolite guys at biketoberfest, he told me that if I had written them ahead of time, they would have set me up with replacement glass for free, to take with me on the way to alaska.

Great company to deal with

I will call Motolight tomorrow..I think I was told that the amber bulbs are only warranted for one year from the date of purchase. I am under one year and had one burn out about a week ago. They sent me another but before I received it the other one burned out..Now I need another..I assumed that the warranty only applies to the date of purchase of the lights and not each bulb otherwise how could they know how old each bulb was butI will call for clarification tomorow...Thanks..

Do a Google search for MR 16 bulbs....lots for sale on the net and cheap. I run 75 watt 12 degree bulbs and they were given the seal of Approval from Motolights to run. You can't beleive how they light up the night. They are too bright for Motolights to sell for the street but their wiring will support them. I usually buy 4 at a time for about 3.50 each and split a set with someone.

I'll split a set with ya.

wave.gif

-Eff

Waht happened to the last set I got ya ? I just bought a set of MotoLLights for my Rt and while talking to the parts/service /do all guy, he commented that you cna run those 75 watt bulbs safely in their lights they just can't sell them for street use so I ordered up 3 sets and installed one in the lights when they arrived, sold a set to a friend and kept set a for spares....$ 15 total for the three sets. Have you seen the new knurled lenses that you can get for Motolights....you can throw away that spanner wench for good.....had my lights delivered with them for an extra $ 30.

Motolight will take care of you. I too have the amber bulbs and light them. No One else on the road with amber bulbs and on the Interstate - people pull over into the right lane.

You can also use Home Depot MR16 bulbs. Only issue is the color temp. A friend put them into his MOTOLIGHTS and they seemed VERY amberish- not as yellow as the Motolights though.

You can also buy all kinds of color temps on the web, as mentioned above.

When I talked to Motolight they told me they were the only ones that had the true amber lights and that they were specially made for them using a special lens. $20.00 each plus shipping if not in warranty..Only warrrantied for one year after purchase of lights..Both mine burned out in less than 9 months. Seems the lens gets the bulb too hot..What's a guy to do if he wants true amber? confused.gif

I have the motolight 50watt yellow bulbs (I call them yellow, not amber). They have lasted for four years w/o burning out (knock wood). You DO get noticed with these bulbs. I still ride as if I am invisible, but I have seen many people do a double take -- they see me and do not pull out or turn left in front of me.

I'll split a set with ya.

wave.gif

-Eff

Waht happened to the last set I got ya ?

One I stepped on! And one is still running bright as hell!

I applied anti-seize lube to the threads (as per Motolight's recommendation) and have no problem removing the smooth covers by hand.

-Eff

• 4 weeks later...

As those who were at the last few SouthWest gatherings may have noticed one of my Motolights was at first intermittant and then finally would not come on anymore. I scratched my head about it since "intermittant" is not (usually) how bulbs go out and wiggling the wire wasn't consistant either. I finally got a chance this afternoon to pull it open and check it out. it turns out one of the wires broke off right at the clamp in the back of the porcelain MR16 bulb "socket". It looked to be riveted together and not "fixable" so I called Motolight and they are sending me two new sockets with about 1-2" of "pigtail" for free! thumbsup.gif

They also gave me the option of a free wiring harness, but I've got the whole harness zip-tied to the frame and connected up under the tupperware and I wasn't really looking forward to getting into it that deep. But now, if I can just solder up a nice Western Union Splice ( wink.gif ) on a new socket and seal it with heat-shrink I'll be good to go in under 30 minutes! clap.gif

You can't beat that kind of service and willingness to stand behind their product! I've got probably 40,000+ miles on the current set (the new design is totally waterproof now! smile.gif ) and 110,000 miles on the bike with Motolights installed and I'm a customer for life. I run the 50W amber bulbs and they've been wroking out great! Motolight guarantees everything (even the stock 35W white bulbs! blush.gif ) with out question and my experience has been nothing but positive. They say the 50W bulbs are hotter than the stockers (and therefore have a shorter lifespan) and they can't guarantee them (someone mentioned a year?), but I've had the current set for about 20,000 miles and they're still going strong. They are the sealed kind with the glass lens sealing the reflector, not open like some of the cheap-o ones.

I have become SO dependant on my Motolights it's kind of sad. I was going through some beta testing with them to perfect the water-proof-ness of their lights a few years ago. While they were perfecting the design ("Nope, still got water." crazy.gif ), I rode for a week at a time with and without them during my daily commute a few different times (plus a few multi-state trips) and I REALLY noticed the difference in the behavior of the other cars on the road with me! The #1 lane cleared out for me regularly and I even got some respect from left-turners and others entering from driveways and side streets--it was AWESOME! thumbsup.gif

Now, don't get me wrong I still ride like I'm invisible and try NOT to let them kill me, but with those 50W Ambers blazing away out front, they take SO much of the work out of riding near other traffic it has SPOILED ME ROTTEN! cool.gif

3538643-L.jpg

Jamie....

Could you share what you did to get the Motolights waterproof? I took on water several times on my trip to Torrey. I had install new GE 50W bulb in the parking lot of hardware store in Wisconsin....it had a design similar to the 50W ambers...a cover over the reflector which helps with the water, but I'd sure like to get them waterproof.

Archived